Official Review: The 5 greatest disappointments in heaven

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MsTri
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1030
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Official Review: The 5 greatest disappointments in heaven

Post by MsTri »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The 5 greatest disappointments in heaven" by Lynn DePeal.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I'm starting to think that I have a "thing" for the number five and Heaven. One of my favorite books is The Five People You Meet in Heaven, and now I've read The Five Greatest Disappointments in Heaven by Lynn Depeal. In this amusing tome, Mr. Depeal notes the five things that he is afraid he'll find out about Heaven when he arrives and that they'll be disappointing.

I'm not usually one to applaud Prologues, but I was captivated from the first line. In the precursor, the author explained how his mind often takes circuitous routes to get from one subject to another which then leaves his friends and family scratching their heads, wondering how the statement he just made is relevant to the conversation. I do that on occasion, too, so I saw myself in this book right away. Fortunately, he managed to mostly stay on track throughout the following chapters, so getting lost was not an issue.

What I liked most about this book was that rather than listing the five things and then elaborating on the statements, the author explained different things about himself before noting the disappointments. It was like reading some of Aesop's Fables except the moral at the end was replaced with the disappointment that he fears. For instance, in the first chapter, Mr. Depeal explained his love of football and the various college teams he has supported, finally ending with the first disappointment. I won't tell what it is; you'll have to read the book to find that out, but suffice it to say that I was amused. I found the other four "disappointments" to be humorous as well, though I only agreed with three of them.

The tone of this book was wonderful too. Aside from the second chapter, wherein the author showed himself to be a mean cat-hater (I adore felines, for the record), I loved following along on the journey that showed glimpses into Mr. Depeal's life. He was a great tour guide, pointing out interesting things that I've never thought of and even breaking the fourth wall every once in a while. Chapter Three, in particular, spoke to me and made me nod my head several times. In this section, Mr. Depeal explained how he has trouble believing his wife's comments about his "great singing voice" because he was teased about his lack of singing talent and told not to sing during his younger years. Most of those 13.25 pages could be my story. I will also note that as a staunch Christian, I was afraid that I'd be disturbed by this book, but the author did such a fantastic job of making it amusing and "not so serious" (I hope) that I couldn't get angry, instead enjoying it for what it is. In the conclusion, Mr. Depeal noted that he originally started with the idea of ten disappointments. Even though his reasons for paring it down to five made sense, I'd happily read a follow-up to this book should he decide to write one.

Sadly, I cannot give The Five Greatest Disappointments in Heaven the four stars that I feel it deserves based on content alone because it's full of grammatical errors. The missteps run the gamut from punctuation errors to incorrect verb tenses to repeated words and phrases ("Maybe the cat would “run away,” or it would it would fall into a deep depression and throw itself in front of a truck" is one example). There are also a few instances of compound words being written as two separate words and vice-versa and one instance of two words in a sentence being juxtaposed. Additionally, while it isn't technically incorrect, the author's tendency to write "Heaven" with the lower-case 'h' grated on my nerves a bit. This .pdf was only 88 pages - formatted as 43 two-page spreads - so the number of errors for a book of this size was rather large. So it is with a heavy heart that I must give this tome 3 out of 4 stars.

Despite the noted errors, I highly recommend this book to readers who enjoy humorous looks into people's lives as well as thoughts about what Heaven could be like. Readers who like brief glimpses into others' thought processes also may enjoy this tome. People who cannot abide jokes about the subject of Heaven should stay clear though.

- So let it be written.

The 5 greatest disappointments in heaven
View: on Bookshelves

Like MsTri's review? Post a comment saying so!
Anon_Reviewer
Favorite Book: A Thousand Splendid Suns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anon-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Anon_Reviewer »

This sounds like a fun and humorous read. I can't say I've read many books of this nature, but you have certainly piqued my interest. My only question is, does the author incorporate scripture into the story, or is everything based just on his opinion? :eusa-think:
MsTri

Post by MsTri »

Ever_Reading wrote: 16 Nov 2018, 00:48 This sounds like a fun and humorous read. I can't say I've read many books of this nature, but you have certainly piqued my interest. My only question is, does the author incorporate scripture into the story, or is everything based just on his opinion? :eusa-think:
Thanks! And no, there's no scripture because it's not Biblically-based. Every one of the five things are things that would annoy him in particular because they're based on his own personal pet peeves. It's all very tongue-in-cheeklike.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I'm not sure this book is for me. I don't believe that we will miss anything on earth when we get to Heaven. There will be no sorrows, no tears, no disappointment. I know it's supposed to be humorous, but that rubs me the wrong way. Thanks for the review, though.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

:P You are a brat. I thought you would at least tell us one of the disappointments. :P
Book Lover 35
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-lover-35.html
Latest Review: VieVie La Fontaine by Linda Heavner Gerald

Post by Book Lover 35 »

I enjoyed The Five People You Will Meet in Heaven too. This book sounds good. The grammar errors won't bother me that much. Thank you!
:tiphat:
MsTri

Post by MsTri »

kandscreeley wrote: 16 Nov 2018, 08:29 I'm not sure this book is for me. I don't believe that we will miss anything on earth when we get to Heaven. There will be no sorrows, no tears, no disappointment. I know it's supposed to be humorous, but that rubs me the wrong way. Thanks for the review, though.
I totally understand. Heaven is such a serious subject that it's hard to be okay with someone making light of it. I really enjoyed it, though, so I was able to put my personal feelings aside and take it for what it is... And thanks for commenting even though it's not your speed.
MsTri

Post by MsTri »

teacherjh wrote: 16 Nov 2018, 11:06 :P You are a brat. I thought you would at least tell us one of the disappointments. :P
Don't tell anyone I told you, but *whispers* one of them has something to do with cats in Heaven.
MsTri

Post by MsTri »

Book Lover 35 wrote: 17 Nov 2018, 00:44 I enjoyed The Five People You Will Meet in Heaven too. This book sounds good. The grammar errors won't bother me that much. Thank you!
I can't recall the name at the moment, but I recently came across a newer Mitch Albom book that I'd like to read. Thanks for reminding me to look it up.
charmperit
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charmperit.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by charmperit »

It's a good concept to have a picture of what would heaven look like. And plus point that it is written with humor!
EvaDar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

OK, I was doing great until the "mean cat-hater" portion. Sadly, I think I would reject even a good book, knowing this about the author. That said, this book has a great premise. I love the idea of musing humorously about potential disappointments in heaven. I'm a bit torn but appreciate your engaging review. Thank you.
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”