Official Review: Escaping Quicksand by J. Pearl-Wisdom

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kristy Khem
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Carmela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristykhem.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Official Review: Escaping Quicksand by J. Pearl-Wisdom

Post by Kristy Khem »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Escaping Quicksand" by J. Pearl-Wisdom.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

“Life isn’t about waiting for the storm to pass…It’s about learning to dance in the rain” – Vivian Greene.

This iconic quote introduced the book Escaping Quicksand: Surviving Life’s Hazards, and aptly captured the true essence of J. Pearl-Wisdom’s memoir. The book consisted of anecdotes from her life which included childhood memories, school life, career experiences, friendships, and most importantly, her family life. Each chapter narrated a particular story from her past and concluded with an important life skill or message. The book was written from her perspective as a mother, and the lessons were specifically dedicated to her son.

Compared to the memoirs I have read, J. Pearl-Wisdom took a totally new approach to write hers. Actually, it cannot be classed entirely as a memoir. It was much more than that. I would describe it as a diverse fruit basket of real-life events and life lessons. One thing which made this book different from a traditional memoir was that it did not follow a logical sequence of events. The book began with the author’s experience of childbirth and parenting, but anecdotes from her childhood and school life surfaced later. Although this approach can be a bit confusing, it worked perfectly for this book because each chapter was able to stand alone. Each chapter also began and ended with an insightful quote or one-lined message. This subtly gave each one a quick introduction and conclusion. It reminded me of the stories from the Chicken Soup series of books, except that Escaping Quicksand was written by one author, not several contributors. The random sequencing of events could have also been a direct reference to the author’s love of movie montages, which was explicitly stated in the book. To me, the chapters of her book were synonymous with the short movie clips in a montage.

Although the majority of the book contained much of the author’s life, it also included lists, emojis, tables, questions, sketches, song lyrics, and diagrams. These things are not typically found in the memoirs I have previously read, but they definitely added a personal touch to this book. In addition to these, the author wrote the book from a unique perspective. She wrote it as if she was writing it to her young son. I felt as if I were given a secret glimpse into the challenging and rewarding experience of parenting.

I was also impressed by how relatable this book was. A wide variety of themes were presented in the author’s stories, such as parenting struggles, the importance of charity, family dynamics, and career advice. Bothersome household chores like loading and unloading the dishwasher were also mentioned. Nearly everyone can relate to these things, especially parenting. In addition to this, the author made reference to several movies, books, and songs which most people have seen, such as Father of the Bride, and Gone With the Wind. Moreover, a few of the author’s favorite recipes were included in the book, such as lava eggs, bulgogi, cloverleaf rolls, and won-tons. Since this book will mostly appeal to family-oriented readers (most of whom are the main meal-makers), these recipes will definitely be appreciated.

Despite these two positive aspects of the book, there were two things which reduced the quality of my reading experience. The first issue was the inconsistent use of past and present tenses. The book is mainly written in the present tense, but this made some sentences awkward. For instance, one sentence reads, “You are interested in volcanoes when you are four years old”. Past tense is occasionally used, like when the author described some of her childhood experiences. Other past events were described in the present. Some memories were also described using a mix of tenses, such as in chapters 24 and 25. Since this book mainly described memories, I think it would have been more suitable to use the past tense as the main tense of the book.

The second issue was that the book contained several errors, which included a noun/verb mix-up in one case, a few typos, and a couple of sentences that either contained an incorrect word or lacked a word. I think the book could benefit from one more round of editing.

Overall, I rate this book 2 out of 4 stars because it was uniquely written, and it was 100% relatable. I wish I could give it more stars, but the inconsistency with the tenses and the errors keep me from doing so. As mentioned before, this book will appeal to family-oriented readers like homemakers, mothers, and grandmothers. Adults whose parents’ consider them the “problem child” may also find this book to be insightful and interesting.

Escaping Quicksand
View: on Bookshelves

Like KristyKhem's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I find that to be one of the hardest things to get past in a reading a book - the mixing up of the tenses. It just makes the reading so awkward. I like that the author puts her own personal touch on this by the use of emojis, song lyrics, etc... Still, I don't think that's enough for me to get past the awkwardness of the writing. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
HollandBlue
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hollandblue.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by HollandBlue »

Interesting review! I like that the book is relatable, and I fall into the group that you recommend read it, homemaker and mother. I'll be adding it to my shelves.
:techie-studyinggray: when I get a little money I buy books; and if I have any left l buy food and clothes
Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamas
(1466-1536)
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 378
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Keys to Healthy Communication by Bobby R Patton,Rusalyn H Andrews and Jennifer Page Daily
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

This sounds like a miscellaneous but enjoyable collection of anecdotes, life lessons and more. I'd be curious about how to make lava eggs. I can't help wondering if Ms Pearl O'Wisdom did actually escape quicksand, and if so, how. Thanks for a comprehensive review.
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
writer808
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-writer808.html
Latest Review: The Chest of Visions by Tim Ferguson

Post by writer808 »

books containing memoirs are so interesting and emotional.I love reading such books.
Nerea
Favorite Author: William H. Coles
Favorite Book: Diamond and Pearls
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 673
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerea.html
Latest Review: Little White Lies by JC Anderson
Reading Device: Laptop
fav_author_id: 89641
Signature Addition: No Wahala

Post by Nerea »

I love memoir books. The unique features this particular book has, encourages me to give it a check. Am adding it to "Want to read shelf" on my book shelf. Thank you for sharing the review.
"Regular reading improves your grammar."
No Wahala
fredrick otieno
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fredrick-otieno.html
Latest Review: Kennedy's Revenge by Stephen L Rodenbeck

Post by fredrick otieno »

I love the fact that the writer was able to bring out every details from her past life into details. this shows how much she was dedicated to ensure this book is a success.
Apart from the error identified i think it is a good book, and if another editing is done, the book would be even better
Kristy Khem
Favorite Book: Carmela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristykhem.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Post by Kristy Khem »

Thank you all for commenting on this amazing book and my review :) If you get the chance to read it, I hope you try a few of the recipes. I will definitely be cooking bulgogi soon!
Caylie_Cat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caylie-cat.html
Latest Review: The Traveler's Best Seller by Rick Incorvia

Post by Caylie_Cat »

Apart from the author's slightly pretentious pen-name, this sounds like a book I would enjoy- being a wife, mum, and almost-grandma who loves the 'Chicken Soup' style of book. Thanks for the review and I'll keep my eye out for this one.
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

The author seems to share a wide variety of things that have interested her. Her memoir seems unique since she goes outside the boundaries. She sounds like an interesting person. Thanks for your review of this book.
Debjani Ghosh
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading: The Evacuees
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debjani-ghosh.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

I would describe it as a diverse fruit basket of real-life events and life lessons.
These words jumped at me. :) Despite the book dealing with relatable themes, lack of consistency in tenses and other grammatical errors will detract from the reading experience. Hence, I am going to skip this one. thanks for the candid review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”