Official Review: Love is the Answer, God is the Cure

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
EmunahAn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emunahan.html
Latest Review: Unremembered Victory by Dennis H. Klein

Official Review: Love is the Answer, God is the Cure

Post by EmunahAn »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Love is the Answer, God is the Cure" by Aimee Cabo Nikolov.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A heartrending memoir that brings to light the terminal effects of child sexual abuse. In Love is the Answer, God is the Cure, Aimee Cabo Nikolov suffers under the hands of her step-father. When she turns to her mother the blame shifts to Nikolov. She lives feeling guilty of exposing her pain and the actions of her perpetrator to the public and jeopardizing her family.

This begins a cycle of destruction. Multiple times she suffers sexual abuse from other rapists. In a bid to escape the horrors she experiences at home, she moves in with Brent, a nice-looking young man who seems to have everything together. The abuse turns physical and she runs from him to protect her unborn baby. By this time, the horrendous effects of the physical and sexual abuse have caught up with her and the only way she can numb the pain is through drugs. Still, there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

The memoir is well-written, providing glances, scenes and painful moments of the author’s life through years of custody battles, sexual and physical abuse, addiction and loss. I was able to feel Nikolov’s determination to survive it all sometimes barely pulling through. When her daughter, Danielle fights for her life in hospital, it is Nikolov’s faith and the love of her husband, Bobby, which pull her through.

In between the fast-paced account of the author’s life, Nikolov exposes the atmosphere that allows child molesters like her step-father to escape their charges, the unconcerned parent, the exposure to potential child molesters, the absence of someone to approach or freely talk to, the continuous blame game where the child is made to feel “guilty” as if they have done something wrong. She brings to light the devastating impact of a heinous crime that many choose to ignore and look away from. It is frustrating that even after she got irrefutable proof of Andres’ actions, he did not suffer the full measure of his crimes.

The account was truly inspirational to me and I believe that it will help victims who have suffered similar circumstances in their lives. They will be able to relate to Nikolov’s experiences and gain strength and insight from them. Her relentless faith in God and her love for her daughter are heart-warming amidst the pain and fight for survival.

Love is the Answer, God is the Cure by Aimee Cabo Nikolov is an affecting memoir of one woman’s journey to find her place in a cruel world. Any reader interested in memoirs will find her story deeply impacting while victims who have battled the effects of child sexual abuse will find the book more than inspirational. I rate it 4 out of 4 stars.

Love is the Answer, God is the Cure
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like EmunahAn's review? Post a comment saying so!
“Reading is escape, and the opposite of escape; it's a way to make contact with reality after a day of making things up, and it's a way of making contact with someone else's imagination after a day that's all too real.”
― Nora Ephron
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

Thank you for a lovely review. I have noticed that these sexual abuse cases always follow a pattern of 1 abuse leading to multiple cases of abuse. Only God has the solution to these problems.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I read this book as well. It was quite horrid to discover all that the author had been through. Worst of all was the disbelief by her family. Any parent should believe them when their child tells them something is happening. Thanks for the review. I'm glad that this one struck you!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
AmySmiles
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

I've been torn on if to read this book or not. It sounds so heartbreaking. I'll keep checking it out, but for now I think I'm going to pass. I appreciate your review.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
OloladeO
Currently Reading: The Michael Project
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ololadeo.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by OloladeO »

Reading a story similar to this and the journey so far is really heartbreaking. It's so sad that child molestation is quite rampant presently. Good review!
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

Wow. What a heart-wrenching story. It would be tough to read.
G T Chiwanza
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-g-t-chiwanza.html
Latest Review: Love is the Answer, God is the Cure by Aimee Cabo Nikolov

Post by G T Chiwanza »

Thanks for the review, the story is indeed touching

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”