Official Review: Discovering Nonviolence

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Official Review: Discovering Nonviolence

Post by Cecilia_L »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Discovering Nonviolence" by Charles E. Collyer and Ira G. Zepp, Jr..]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Would it surprise you to learn that the practice of nonviolence is the exact opposite of the passive philosophical approach to conflict perceived by many? Discovering Nonviolence by Charles E. Collyer and Ira G. Zepp, Jr., lays the foundation for solving problems and affecting social change through the practice of nonviolence training.

The book introduces the core teachings of nonviolence as a way of life, rather than just a response to the threat of danger. It illustrates the successful use of nonviolence in five campaigns of civil resistance led by Martin Luther King, Jr., including the Montgomery Bus Boycott, the Nashville Sit-Ins, the Freedom Rides, the Birmingham Campaign, and the Selma to Montgomery March. It expands on Dr. King's Six Principles of Nonviolence and provides sample objections to each of the six principles.

After reading this book was used as a college textbook, I honestly wasn't sure if I would enjoy it. I'm happy to say the writing style was clear and easy to follow. I was immensely inspired by the concept of nonviolence as presented in this book. I learned about the civil rights movement in school, and I have always had the utmost respect for Dr. King. However, I don't recall ever learning that the participants were taught to practice principles of nonviolence. As described in the book, I falsely mistook their active nonviolence as passivity. In retrospect, my respect for all involved has only deepened.

My favorite section of the book named The Reaction Papers featured the written responses from actual students after watching two documentaries about the principles of nonviolence. Many of the emotions they expressed mirrored my own. Specifically, how were we not taught this before? Other responses included anger, disbelief, respect, and compassion. I also appreciated the clarification that nonviolence is not the absence of conflict, as well as the teaching regarding different types of conflict.

I related least to the section called Large-Scale Exercise, which describes group activities for conflict solving. I understand the need to include the interaction for training, but though the instructions were clear, I found it hard to visualize. I imagine the physical process would translate much better than reading about the activity.

The few grammatical errors I noted didn't detract from the relevant content, which will stay with me. I am pleased to rate this enlightening book 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend it to readers who are interested in learning more about the principles of nonviolence. Those who enjoy reading Dr. King's teachings will also appreciate it. I anticipate rereading it for future reference.

Discovering Nonviolence
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Cecilia_L's review? Post a comment saying so!
Zvjezdana Sever
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zvjezdana-sever.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Zvjezdana Sever »

Nice review of a very interesting topic. We are constantly exposed to a various degrees of violence and are usually only thought to avoid it. It is encouraging to know that there is a deliberate teaching of the opposite, nonviolent behavior.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Zvjezdana Sever wrote: 18 Aug 2018, 23:56 Nice review of a very interesting topic. We are constantly exposed to a various degrees of violence and are usually only thought to avoid it. It is encouraging to know that there is a deliberate teaching of the opposite, nonviolent behavior.
Thank you. I agree.
Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Notes on a Nervous Planet
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

I loved the emphasis on active nonviolence being non-synonymous to passivity or lack of conflict. This crucial principle is not exclusive to the area of civil rights; one could implement it on a personal level as well. I admire the diversity in the books you choose to review. Thanks for the great insight, Cecilia ! :D
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Ruba Abu Ali wrote: 19 Aug 2018, 03:11 I loved the emphasis on active nonviolence being non-synonymous to passivity or lack of conflict. This crucial principle is not exclusive to the area of civil rights; one could implement it on a personal level as well. I admire the diversity in the books you choose to review. Thanks for the great insight, Cecilia ! :D
Yes, the book really emphasized practicing nonviolence as a lifestyle. Thank you, Ruba. I appreciate your comment.
CommMayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

This sounds like a really interesting book. It seems to prove that while it is a tool we associate with the Civil Rights Movement of the 1960s, the principals of nonviolence are ever present and valuable today.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

CommMayo wrote: 19 Aug 2018, 13:17 This sounds like a really interesting book. It seems to prove that while it is a tool we associate with the Civil Rights Movement of the 1960s, the principals of nonviolence are ever present and valuable today.
That's exactly what I took away from the book. Thanks for your comment.
daydreaming reader
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daydreaming-reader.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by daydreaming reader »

This book certainly sounds enlightening, thank you for great review.
"Without chaos, there can be no order"
- Heath D. Alberts
"You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star."
Friedrich Nietzsche
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

daydreaming reader wrote: 19 Aug 2018, 18:34 This book certainly sounds enlightening, thank you for great review.
Thank you for stopping by.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This definitely sounds like something we could all use more of in our lives! There are things that need to be changed, but if we could approach it non-violently? Wow! I would be apprehensive that this was used as a college textbook as well, but I'm glad it turned out to be informative and easy to read.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

kandscreeley wrote: 20 Aug 2018, 13:59 This definitely sounds like something we could all use more of in our lives! There are things that need to be changed, but if we could approach it non-violently? Wow! I would be apprehensive that this was used as a college textbook as well, but I'm glad it turned out to be informative and easy to read.
I agree. It really made me rethink some things.
Thanks for your comment.
EvaDar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

This really sounds like a beautiful book. I do believe this is what might save us - the purposeful engagement in non-violence. It is wonderful to know about this book. Your review has encouraged me to check it out. I was involved in the Non-violent Communication movement and believe these kinds of teachings are so necessary at this time. Another really great review! Thanks so much.
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Eva Darrington wrote: 20 Aug 2018, 15:24 This really sounds like a beautiful book. I do believe this is what might save us - the purposeful engagement in non-violence. It is wonderful to know about this book. Your review has encouraged me to check it out. I was involved in the Non-violent Communication movement and believe these kinds of teachings are so necessary at this time. Another really great review! Thanks so much.
I agree. I think you will enjoy it. Thanks, Eva.
AmySmiles
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

Is it effective because acting non-violently is outraging to others? Very interesting, and the fact that you anticipate reading it again is a great recommendation. I don't have room on my read list for any more non fiction books currently, but it sounds like a very enlightening read. Thanks for the review.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

AmySmiles wrote: 21 Aug 2018, 06:52 Is it effective because acting non-violently is outraging to others? Very interesting, and the fact that you anticipate reading it again is a great recommendation. I don't have room on my read list for any more non fiction books currently, but it sounds like a very enlightening read. Thanks for the review.
I'm not sure, but I was surprised by the examples given illustrating the teaching's effectiveness. Thank you for your comment.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”