Official Review: Symmetry: De Rerum Structura

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Official Review: Symmetry: De Rerum Structura

Post by revna01 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Symmetry: De Rerum Structura" by Carlo Faustini.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Wanting a project to work on in his spare time, Carlo Faustini began the research that would ultimately comprise his book, Symmetry: De Rerum Structura. The mathematical premise details Faustini’s goal to create a formula for solving quartic polynomial equations, as well as a generic means by which to evaluate and solve any high-degree polynomial equation, using symmetry as the focal point to ascertaining a solution. The idea for the project culminated when Faustini recognized there was an established familiarity with formulas for solving second and third-degree polynomials (quadratic and cubic, respectively), but not for fourth-degree polynomials (quartic).

To begin, Faustini needed to take a closer look at existing formulas for quadratic and cubic equations, so he had something to test his findings against. This book reveals Faustini's discoveries when examining these two formulas. Faustini was diligent in his efforts to not seek out the preferential solution-the tidy solution that produces a clean and relatively simple answer, complete with familiar symbols. The existential problem with seeking the preferential solution is the possibility of systematically discounting alternative solutions. Starting from scratch, Faustini set about deconstructing the equations, discovering the key to “exploiting the one characteristic that binds the roots directly to themselves” could be found in symmetry. Although Faustini’s methodology for solving equations shares many similarities to the existing formulas, his version accounts for the symmetrical properties of the roots, which was not a consideration of the antiquated versions.

The book is organized in a concise stepwise manner, meticulously laying out the procedures Faustini implemented throughout his research. I greatly enjoyed the figures and graphs which provided a visual interpretation of the formulas. Although the book was less than 80 pages (PDF) of reading, it is essentially an intimidating and complex mathematical problem, depicted by symbols and matrices, and revealed by peeling away the layers of its composition.

Faustini should be congratulated on the extensiveness of his research, having devoted decades of his life to this project. It is sealed with his own stamp of approval, which I can only surmise is a stamp well-deserved. This book is suited for a reader with a substantial knowledge of high-level mathematics; it is not a book designed to teach any aspects of the discipline. My own fading memories of calculus were of little assistance as I flipped the pages of this challenging piece.

Finding no fault with the structure or editing of this book, I gladly rate it 4 out of 4 stars. I hope Faustini obtains the consideration of the math and physical science experts who possess the necessary knowledge to validate his findings and evaluate their future implications. Again, I commend Faustini on his dedication and skill in pursuing this massive undertaking.

Symmetry: De Rerum Structura
View: on Bookshelves

Like revna01's review? Post a comment saying so!
dtb
Currently Reading: A Darker Shade of Magic
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dtb.html
Latest Review: Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by dtb »

What a challenging project! Thanks for a great review.
NL Hartje
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

His premise seems usable and logical. I wonder why it hasn't garnered more attention? Having spent plenty of college classes in quadratic equation world, I can see how his equation would be mountainously useful. I hope he one day gets the credit he deserves.
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

SABRADLEY wrote: 24 May 2018, 15:33 .. it is essentially an intimidating and complex mathematical problem, depicted by symbols and matrices, and revealed by peeling away the layers of its composition.
You can say that again! Congratulations on managing the review - I'll be passing this one along to the family mathematician. :)
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

Well, this is obviously not your light, entertaining read! I can think of at least one person who could truly appreciate it, though. Good job on a difficult review!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

Oh wow the subject is an intense one, and brings up horrific memories from my GCE A Level mathematics. :lol: Kudos to you for getting through it, and it seems like a great book for those interested. Thank you for the detailed review!!
richsaint
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by richsaint »

I would love to peruse through it too because I guess I will be of great help in engineering month especially in high-order polynomials. Its truly a good piece I guess, if he can easily be approved by the mathematical experts.
Kendra M Parker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 421
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kendra-m-parker.html
Latest Review: Requiem, Changing Times by RJ Parker
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Kendra M Parker »

Wow, that is a deep and fascinating area to explore. I know it’s not a book for me, though! Even the thought of trying to understand that makes me cringe.
Edgeona
Currently Reading: Ironbark Hill
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-edgeona.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Edgeona »

This mathematically inspired novel, well done reviewer.
SereneCharles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-serenecharles.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by SereneCharles »

You did a great job on this. However, I'll pass. It isn't my type of read.
Writing is so much fun. So is reading. :techie-studyingbrown:
cpru68
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 178
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 »

This would be the book I’m reading in a nightmare! Not because it’s bad, but because I really don’t think I would understand any of it. This is where I cling to the left side, right side brain theory and find myself on the side of my brain that wouldn’t be able to comprehend. But, as I was reading your review, I kept wondering how this work would help our society and where will it be used? It’s amazing to me how people pluck numbers and equations out of the air, put them all together and create new things or solve old problems. That part amazes me! Getting to that part...not so much. Bravo to you for taking on this one and doing such a wonderful job on this review. I’m sure the author appreciates your valuable feedback.
Everything happens for a reason...
melissy370
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: Home To Kentucky by Thomas A. McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by melissy370 »

Ok this is not a book for me because I get lost in math. But, I commend the author on undertaking the task of explaining his theories and dedicating his time to doing the research.
revna01
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

dtb wrote: 25 May 2018, 09:50 What a challenging project! Thanks for a great review.
Thanks so much for reading and commenting!
revna01

Post by revna01 »

NL Hartje wrote: 25 May 2018, 10:01 His premise seems usable and logical. I wonder why it hasn't garnered more attention? Having spent plenty of college classes in quadratic equation world, I can see how his equation would be mountainously useful. I hope he one day gets the credit he deserves.
I suspect it hasn't reached the right hands just yet. I found myself wondering why it had been submitted to OBC for review, as I think it needs a different platform. Thanks for your thoughts, NL.
revna01

Post by revna01 »

Libs_Books wrote: 25 May 2018, 10:30
SABRADLEY wrote: 24 May 2018, 15:33 .. it is essentially an intimidating and complex mathematical problem, depicted by symbols and matrices, and revealed by peeling away the layers of its composition.
You can say that again! Congratulations on managing the review - I'll be passing this one along to the family mathematician. :)
Oh, I'd be very interested to know what the family mathematician thinks! Thanks so much for your comments.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”