Official Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight [March 2019 Book of the Month]

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Quinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 704
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quinto.html
Latest Review: The Longfellah's Son: An Almost True Irish Story by Michael Cassidy

Re: Official Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by Quinto »

I like that the novel brings out a lot of experiences that the author wants to share out with his potential readers. Though from the review, it appears it's nothing different from the other literature on spirituality. Thanks for a wonderful review.
truebookaddict
Favorite Book: The Historian
Currently Reading: Inspection
Bookshelf Size: 3836
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-truebookaddict.html
Reading Device: B00TSUGXKE

Post by truebookaddict »

The only thing I can say I agree with the author on is reincarnation. I am an Agnostic Atheist so the Christian part of his teachings would fall on deaf ears, and I'm not so sure about the New Age spirituality either. I have heard that meditation is beneficial though. So, not really sure this is for me, but I appreciate the great insight you give in your review.
“Even if she be not harmed, her heart may fail her in so much and so many horrors; and hereafter she may suffer--both in waking, from her nerves, and in sleep, from her dreams.”
― Bram Stoker, Dracula
Debjani Ghosh
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading: The Evacuees
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debjani-ghosh.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

I am glad that you enjoyed reading this book, but I am neither a fan of self-help books nor of spiritual books. Hence, I will pass this one. Thanks for the detailed review.
Karencantley1
Favorite Book: The Prize
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karencantley1.html
Latest Review: Going Gone by Abraham Lopez

Post by Karencantley1 »

I’m sure many will find spiritual guidance and their own truth in this book, but it’s not for me I’m afraid. Thanks for such a detailed review though!
Ekta Kumari
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Rebecca
Currently Reading: Kafka On The Shore
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekta-kumari.html
Latest Review: Humanity Must Survive the 21st Century by Theodore Vornicu
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Ekta Kumari »

Any kind of spiritual teaching such as this inevitably comes with a caution that the person on the receiving end may or may not like it or agree with it. I think one has to maintain a thoughtful state of mind while reading or even listening to other's point of view regarding spiritual beliefs, and I agree that it is not an obligation to agree with every point. Sometimes, just learning about something new and trying to see it from different perspectives can also be a sensible and fun thing to do.

Your review is very insightful. I like that you described the book well along with touching upon your own opinions. Thanks for the review!
"Words dazzle and deceive because they are mimed by the face. But black words on a white page are the soul laid bare."

-Guy de Maupassant
ianfrb77
Currently Reading: The Message?
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ianfrb77.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup

Post by ianfrb77 »

I won't get into a debate about beliefs. I will just say I don't believe in these kinds of miracles and the fact of dreaming of a deity so specifically designed by society for ages is merely a culturally-built-up dream. However I do hope this book will give some personal enlightenment to those who see in his account a revelation and the proof of a greater force. Congrats on the author for his potentially inspirational work.
Transcendens. Humanitet. Ånd.
Mouricia Allen
Currently Reading: Covet (Fallen Angels Series #1)
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mouricia25.html
Latest Review: The Life Inside Maggie Pincus by David I. Billingham
Reading Device: B01N3UC27N

Post by Mouricia Allen »

It seems like a good book. However, I am not sure this is one I want to read. I hope other readers are able to get something from it.
jaliper
Currently Reading: The Healer
Bookshelf Size: 598

Post by jaliper »

I really liked your review. It's very engaging and comprehensive. I think I would like this book as I honestly can relate to the "what if?" questions in this book. I will definitely check this out. Thanks for the great review.
asaltares
Currently Reading: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
Bookshelf Size: 232

Post by asaltares »

In the unbound soul, Richard L. Haight, it’s taking the best of every spiritually teaching and applying it to oneself. Unfortunately is not the kind of book that appeal to me because of my beliefs. As one martial artist to another, I congratulate you for exposing and sharing your beliefs.
Nephyz+254
Favorite Book: McDowell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nephyz-254.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Nephyz+254 »

As fan of self-help and spiritual books, I think this is my type. I like spiritual reads like this one and I believe that there is much that I can learn from this book. I wish would read myself.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3008
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: A Conflicted Slaveholder by Marge Cambre

Post by Kibet Hillary »

The book is wonderful. I appreciate the fact that the author was able to take a path that seems neutral but yet challenges every reader. I will not agree with every concept but it is worth reading. Thanks for the wonderful review.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
dragonet07
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 23031">The Beauty of the Fall</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1718
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonet07.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by dragonet07 »

I'm spiritual, but I'm not religious. I don't really subscribe to any single religion, finding about fault and truth in everything, so this book might be right for me. At the very least, I'm interested in reading about the author's unique mixture of beliefs and how he applies it to his spiritual health and everyday life. Thank you for the thorough and helpful review.
The more that you read,
The more things you will know.
The more that you learn,
The more places you'll go.
~Dr. Seuss
blessan
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by blessan »

The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight is a self-help book. Its also the book i will like to read every single day i really love it thank you so much.
kwame1977
Currently Reading: The Vatican Protocol
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kwame1977.html
Latest Review: Learn to Play Guitar by Gareth Evans

Post by kwame1977 »

Self help books have always been my favorite. One of such books changed my life completely. The unbound soul by Richard L. Haight is no exception. I see creativity at its peak. Thanks for a perfect review.
Moddesser Elahi
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Power of Now
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moddesser-elahi.html
Latest Review: Then Comes The Flood by John Payne

Post by Moddesser Elahi »

I sampled the book on Amazon. This is a memoir of a spiritual journey which is very insightful. Richard L. Haight questions the traditional religion in a very logical manner and you need to be open-minded to get intrigued by this book. Cheers :) :)
PANACEA - Please do not overvalue your body and mind! Just be life! :dance:

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”