Official Review: A Patchwork of Pink by Bev Arnold

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sanju Lali
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Re: Official Review: A Patchwork of Pink by Bev Arnold

Post by Sanju Lali »

Thanks for good review and pointing upon the areas where the author can improve upon it. which may help readers enjoy the book
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

What an unfortunate turn of events! The author finally realizes a dream only to be hit with a cancer diagnosis. Ugh. Her resiliency is admirable, as is the fairness of your review. I especially like that you mentioned the technical aspects of the cancer actually made it read like a case-study at times. I don't like that kind of feel to a book (unless it IS that kind of book). Thank you for a great review :)
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

sanjus wrote: 21 May 2018, 14:56 Thanks for good review and pointing upon the areas where the author can improve upon it. which may help readers enjoy the book
Thank you for the kind comments!
gen_g
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

SABRADLEY wrote: 21 May 2018, 15:53 What an unfortunate turn of events! The author finally realizes a dream only to be hit with a cancer diagnosis. Ugh. Her resiliency is admirable, as is the fairness of your review. I especially like that you mentioned the technical aspects of the cancer actually made it read like a case-study at times. I don't like that kind of feel to a book (unless it IS that kind of book). Thank you for a great review :)
Yes, her tenacity is definitely admirable, especially at 70 years of age. Honestly, the medical case study part was a slight put off, and yeah it would be great if there had been a warning in advance! Thank you for your kind comments (:
Kemunto lucy
Currently Reading: It's Easier to Dance
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kemunto-lucy.html
Latest Review: Korian by Giorgio Garofalo

Post by Kemunto lucy »

This book sounds like a story of courage, the rating disappoints though. Thanks for the honest review.
gen_g

Post by gen_g »

Kemunto lucy wrote: 22 May 2018, 06:54 This book sounds like a story of courage, the rating disappoints though. Thanks for the honest review.
Thank you for taking the time to read my review and leaving a comment! I would still recommend the book, but it will not be something that can be completed in a single sitting.
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

Great review. I recently went through a lumpectomy, chemo and radiotherapy, which is why I’m off work now. I blogged my whole experience and people were astonished because it was hilariously funny. Breast cancer affects different people in different ways, both physically and psychologically. I would be worried by this book because it looks to me like it might frighten many people. There are actually many upsides to the diagnosis of breast cancer. It’s not the death penalty it used to be and it really makes you rethink what you want from life. (I want to sit in my garden reviewing books :lol: )
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
gen_g

Post by gen_g »

Helen_Combe wrote: 23 May 2018, 07:31 Great review. I recently went through a lumpectomy, chemo and radiotherapy, which is why I’m off work now. I blogged my whole experience and people were astonished because it was hilariously funny. Breast cancer affects different people in different ways, both physically and psychologically. I would be worried by this book because it looks to me like it might frighten many people. There are actually many upsides to the diagnosis of breast cancer. It’s not the death penalty it used to be and it really makes you rethink what you want from life. (I want to sit in my garden reviewing books :lol: )
Firstly, I hope that everything is well for you now! I agree that breast cancer affects different people in different ways. Personally, it is not the Arnold's description of her experience that scares me, but the medical terminology used is just slightly daunting due to the lack of a glossary. :lol: I understand that breast cancer, if detected and treated early, actually has high recovery rates, which is great to hear.

I can just imagine sitting in the garden reviewing books along with a tall glass of your favourite iced drink (especially in summer) - it sounds heavenly! Thank you for taking the time to read this and for commenting! (:
CommMayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

It is a shame about the lack of editing and the overuse/over-description of medical jargon. You review reads beautifully though...
inaramid
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

I agree with you; it does seem to be suited to a very specific type of audience. Personally, I wouldn't pick this out in a bookstore or in Amazon, but I think those who can relate to the author's experience will jump at a chance for guidance, validation, or just the simple relief of knowing that they are not alone. Thanks for your insightful review.
gen_g

Post by gen_g »

CommMayo wrote: 23 May 2018, 12:55 It is a shame about the lack of editing and the overuse/over-description of medical jargon. You review reads beautifully though...
Thank you very much for taking the time to read and for your kind comments! :D It is a shame indeed, but still a good read nonetheless.
gen_g

Post by gen_g »

inaramid wrote: 23 May 2018, 21:27 I agree with you; it does seem to be suited to a very specific type of audience. Personally, I wouldn't pick this out in a bookstore or in Amazon, but I think those who can relate to the author's experience will jump at a chance for guidance, validation, or just the simple relief of knowing that they are not alone. Thanks for your insightful review.
Yes, it is a book which caters to a specific audience - although for me it was still an interesting read (I just wish that the medical terms were explained in further detail!) Thank you for your kind comments! :D
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

Always a good book is brought down by grammatical errors, seriously the author needs to get good editors. But this type of book is not only worth to breast cancer patients but to all the women in general to beware of the existence of such a tedious issue. I like the descriptive detail in these type of books, very valuable information. Thank you for your descriptive review!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
gen_g

Post by gen_g »

Sahani Nimandra wrote: 24 May 2018, 00:55 Always a good book is brought down by grammatical errors, seriously the author needs to get good editors. But this type of book is not only worth to breast cancer patients but to all the women in general to beware of the existence of such a tedious issue. I like the descriptive detail in these type of books, very valuable information. Thank you for your descriptive review!
Thank you for the kind comments! I think a lot of books can be improved (at least the ones I have come across when reviewing) in order to reach their full potential with the help of an editor. Indeed, the book is extremely helpful for women as a whole, since breast cancer is not something to be underestimated.
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

gen_g wrote: 24 May 2018, 01:17
Sahani Nimandra wrote: 24 May 2018, 00:55 Always a good book is brought down by grammatical errors, seriously the author needs to get good editors. But this type of book is not only worth to breast cancer patients but to all the women in general to beware of the existence of such a tedious issue. I like the descriptive detail in these type of books, very valuable information. Thank you for your descriptive review!
Thank you for the kind comments! I think a lot of books can be improved (at least the ones I have come across when reviewing) in order to reach their full potential with the help of an editor. Indeed, the book is extremely helpful for women as a whole, since breast cancer is not something to be underestimated.
Honestly yes it is becoming one of the most prominent disease in the world, we all have to be careful.
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”