Official Review: Belly Rubs and Butt Scratches How My Dog...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
BookishCreature
Currently Reading: Travels with Vamper
Bookshelf Size: 247
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookishcreature.html
Latest Review: The Library of Secrets: The Giant Mistake by Zoe Penn

Official Review: Belly Rubs and Butt Scratches How My Dog...

Post by BookishCreature »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Belly Rubs and Butt Scratches How My Dogs Love Saved My Life" by N. G. Menton.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Anyone who’s ever owned a dog can tell you that they’re more than just animals – they’re family. Nicole Menton knows this better than most. In her memoir, Belly Rubs and Butt Scratches: How My Dogs’ Love Saved My Life, she explains how her five dogs helped her stay strong as she battled with depression, anxiety, and obsessive compulsive disorder.

From the very beginning, I was struck by the author’s absolute honesty. She holds nothing back, vividly describing what she experienced during panic attacks and bouts of depression. She chronicles the awful intrusive thoughts that would plague her day after day, along with the painful events in her life that would often exacerbate them. I can’t imagine how difficult it must have been for Menton to relive those dark periods in her life, and I admire her bravery in putting it all down on paper.

The writing itself is equally arresting. It can be hard to explain a mental illness to someone who has never experienced it. Depression is more than just a bad mood, and OCD is more than just alphabetizing your bookshelves, but getting those ideas across to someone with no frame of reference is tricky. I think this is why Menton made it a point to use powerful, evocative details to help the reader feel what she was feeling. It’s easier to understand how debilitating a panic attack can be when she writes that she felt as though her bones were rusting away like the remains of the Titanic. This is why I highly recommend this book to anyone who has a friend or loved one who is struggling with a mental illness. Menton’s detailed account may give you the perspective you need to understand what that loved one is going through.

Dog lovers will also enjoy this book. The author’s overwhelming love for her dogs almost drips from her words. Those dogs saved her life in more ways than one, and it warmed my heart to read about the positive impact they had on her mental and emotional state.

Overall, I’m happy to give this book 3 out of 4 stars. The author mentions that she wrote this book mostly for herself, as a way to better understand her own illnesses and coping mechanisms. While it is by no means lacking, it did lean a little more towards journal than memoir, missing a bit of the literary flair that would have made it a four-star work. I still highly recommend it to any reader who is dealing with mental health issues in themselves or in someone they care about.

Belly Rubs and Butt Scratches How My Dogs Love Saved My Life
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like BookishCreature's review? Post a comment saying so!
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

This sounds heartbreaking and uplifting simultaneously. I have occasionally had panic attacks, but this woman sounds like she had really intense conditions to cope with. I can attest to the fact that a dog can be all that gets you out of bed in the morning when dealing with depression. Thanks for your honest review!
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Dogs are such wonderful animals and can be a great tool for all kinds of illnesses. So, I'm glad that the author has used them to help her through her horrible experiences. I'm glad that the book was vividly written because you're right. It is hard to understand those things without having gone through them. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

Thank you for your lovely review! This seems like a great book, and dogs are certainly loyal creatures with boundless love - I'm extremely glad to hear that the author had with her great companions whilst battling her demons.
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

I could see this book helping a lot of people, especially since the author was so candid in her descriptions of her illnesses. Thank you for a lovely review.
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

It sounds like the author has a gift for description. I have experience with depression and anxiety, so this book would probably be personal to me as well as enlightening.
Bianka Walter
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

You're absolutely right when you say dogs are family. They are our children. I have zero experience with depression or anxiety, but I do know that a cuddle from a dog can make anyone feel better.
Thanks for the heartfelt review, I really enjoyed it.
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
olakonipekun shallom
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by olakonipekun shallom »

Dogs are man's best friend, people say this a lot. I have also come to realise that humans are also Dogs best friends, it explains why the five dogs were always there for the author. Such loyalty exceeds what anyone can give...
NL Hartje
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

Not being an overly "pet person" myself, I'm not sure I would relate to this book. I'm no animal hater by any means, I just feel that my pets provide our family simple pleasures and I've never experienced any of those deeper feelings. That being said, I'm glad there is a market and a following for these types of books. So many find solace in their pets and it's nice to see stories that reflect this love.

Thanks for the review lady!
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

This is such an emotional read. Dogs are indeed a man's best friend and finding comfort in dogs during times of sickness is so inspirational.
Sanju Lali
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sanju Lali »

nice review regarding a book which reveals how the tamed creatures like dogs love us in return and make us feel happy
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”