Official Review: Tales of Love and Dying by Sherry Kauppi

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
JessNWheeler
Favorite Author: Ruth Rendell
Currently Reading: The Girl Next Door: A Novel
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessnwheeler.html
Latest Review: Growing Up in the Dragonfly Zone by Marlana DeMarco Hogan
Reading Device: B075QN8NDH
fav_author_id: 3998

Official Review: Tales of Love and Dying by Sherry Kauppi

Post by JessNWheeler »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Tales of Love and Dying" by Sherry Kauppi.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Reba and Gus dearly loved their son, Joey. The first two babies they had died shortly after birth. Joey was the third baby, and he was everything to his parents. When Joey tragically died in a car accident as a teenager, Reba and Gus were completely devastated. Author Sherry Kauppi shares her experiences as a psychic medium in Tales of Love and Dying.

Sherry literally felt herself leave her body as she lay in her hospital recovery room. The desire to raise her children brought Sherry back from the other side. Since that near-death experience, Sherry has had the ability to connect to beings who have died and passed on to the other side. These beings can speak to her and channel through her to speak to other humans. She uses her ability to help treasure seekers locate valuable artifacts, and help grieving parents cope with the loss of their children.

This memoir was not at all what I had expected when I first picked it up to read. Honestly, I was disappointed because I don’t believe in the abilities of psychic mediums. However, I really enjoyed the author’s writing style, so I wanted to continue reading. I decided to read the book as a fictional story. Looking at Sherry as a fictional ghost expert helped me to let go of my disbelief and enjoy the book.

This book is rich with themes of love, loss, friendship, and healing. These are all elements that I love in a book. The supernatural aspect captured my attention and held it to the last page. Sherry avoids negative beings, and she welcomes positive and loving connections. The author truly understands what readers crave, and she absolutely delivered in this book.

This is a well-written and well-organized book. The author is a precise writer, and her experiences were a pleasure to read. There is one missing word, and one misplaced word, but these errors did not disrupt the flow of the author’s writing.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. As a non-believer of human contact with the supernatural, I decided to look at the author’s experiences as fiction. However, after reading this book, I came to an unexpected realization. It doesn’t matter if these experiences were real or not. Sherry Kauppi is doing important work. She is giving grieving loved ones the closure that they need to move on and live their lives. Lovers of supernatural stories will enjoy this book. I’ll admit that, after reading Sherry’s book, I will call her, or someone like her, should I lose a loved one.

Tales of Love and Dying
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like JessNWheeler's review? Post a comment saying so!
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. - Oscar Wilde
420waystoreachthesun
Currently Reading: Bomb Goggles
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-420waystoreachthesun.html
Latest Review: The Complete Thief Series: Boxed Set by Michael Dirubio

Post by 420waystoreachthesun »

I really loved your review. Thank you for writing this. Will definitely give this a try.
Corhan2
Favorite Book: Body of Evidence (Kay Scarpetta #2)
Currently Reading: Land of Painted Caves
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-corhan2.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by Corhan2 »

Thank you for the review. I am also sceptic when it comes to psychic mediums, but now I am curious. Maybe I will give this book a try.
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

Oh, wow! I can honestly believe that. Usually when people experience a near death experience they usually tend to be hyper-sensitive. Basically nothing is same anymore. That's a good gift but very tricky as well. If I ever get an opportunity I will definitely read this book. Thank you for your review!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

Thank you for sharing your perspective on this book as one of a non-believer in mediums. As soon as I see someone is writing about some such topic from a non-fiction standpoint, I really don't want to read it. I am glad you were able to appreciate this book and still give it 4 out of 4 stars despite your skepticism regarding the author's abilities.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I have to say, from the first few sentences, I was really hoping that this was a fiction book. But I scrolled up and saw it's non-fiction. I can't even imagine what these parents have been through! How absolutely awful. This sounds very emotional. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

JessNWheeler wrote: 07 May 2018, 16:13 This memoir was not at all what I had expected when I first picked it up to read. Honestly, I was disappointed because I don’t believe in the abilities of psychic mediums. However, I really enjoyed the author’s writing style, so I wanted to continue reading. I decided to read the book as a fictional story. Looking at Sherry as a fictional ghost expert helped me to let go of my disbelief and enjoy the book....As a non-believer of human contact with the supernatural, I decided to look at the author’s experiences as fiction. However, after reading this book, I came to an unexpected realization. It doesn’t matter if these experiences were real or not. Sherry Kauppi is doing important work. She is giving grieving loved ones the closure that they need to move on and live their lives.
That's a really fascinating response - I would definitely have had the same problem with a book like this. I still don't think I'll read, but appreciate the fact that you were open-minded enough to read and respond.
JJNP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jjnp.html
Latest Review: The Seduction of Religion by Paul Singh
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by JJNP »

This sounds like an interesting read. Life and death are subjects that there is always more to learn about.
bnoy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bnoy.html
Latest Review: Devilish by Tricia Barr

Post by bnoy »

Loved your review. When I started reading I inwardly groaned at the idea of someone writing a memoir about their psychic abilities. However, after such a positive review from you, I think I'll take your lead and read it as a work of fiction! Thanks.
AmySmiles
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

I really enjoyed your review. I appreciate that you were able to set aside your beliefs to give it a fair review.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

I definitely believe in psychic abilities...but I don't believe everyone that claims to be a medium is one; not by a long shot. I'm not sure if I would believe the author as she relays her experiences but I would enjoy finding out more. Thanks for the review :)
Sharon serena
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharon-serena.html
Latest Review: The Traveler's Best Seller by Rick Incorvia

Post by Sharon serena »

Being a true story, the book sounds interesting but I am also not a fan of supernatural abilities. I mainly try to look at the plot of the story. If its intriguing enough, I will definitely read it. It is always encouraging to know that your loved one is okay after his/her passing on and this just makes me curious. Thanks for the detailed review, I loved it.
Ginnamassa19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ginnamassa19.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Ginnamassa19 »

Thank you for writing this review. The book seems like a heartwarming read, it gives me chicken-soup-for-the-soul vibes :) And it's definitely an added plus to know that it was well-written and well-edited to boot!
Sharon serena
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharon-serena.html
Latest Review: The Traveler's Best Seller by Rick Incorvia

Post by Sharon serena »

The book sounds very interesting to read. I love that the author uses her experience to help those in grief with dealing with the lose of a loved one. Thanks for the review. Nice job!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”