Official Review: Ripcord Recovery by T.T. Sawyer

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
CataclysmicKnight
Favorite Book: Ready Player One
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1693
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cataclysmicknight.html
Latest Review: Simple Man Simple Message by Mark Dobosz

Official Review: Ripcord Recovery by T.T. Sawyer

Post by CataclysmicKnight »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Ripcord Recovery" by T.T. Sawyer.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Addiction is a terrible disease. I'm very fortunate that my addiction is only to caffeine, but even my lesser addiction means either consuming caffeine regularly or sluggishness and terrible headaches. Sadly, many people face addictions to drugs and alcohol, and these addictions can lead to loss of jobs, friends or even their lives. T. T. Sawyer is one such addict, and after decades of going through various rehab programs, relapsing and struggling with making it day to day he ended up creating his own path and refining it into something that works for him.

Sawyer makes it clear that this plan isn't for everyone, but it was exactly what worked in his time of need. Ripcord Recovery is essentially a modification to AA's 12 steps with one very controversial edit: the use of medicinal marijuana. Sawyer's addictions included alcohol and pills, and while many would consider using any type of drugs a relapse - even medicinal marijuana - he considered it a way to take control of not only his various pains without requiring prescription pills, but a way to be happier, live life more clearly and no longer worry about relapsing.

Again, I'm not a drug or alcohol addict (thank goodness!), but if I read about someone controlling their addiction with medical marijuana I'd probably laugh. You can believe how surprised I was, then, when I actually understood Sawyer's points and could see the benefits of cannabis for him. As Sawyer says, this is not for everyone, and isn't recommended if someone's current method is working for them.

Throughout the book Sawyer goes into his own personal history a bit, showing the hardships he's faced. He's very honest and admits to his troubles with staying sober and his repeated relapses. He also explains his process for coming up with his plan and how he's refined it over time. One of the big inspirations was the idea of there being three main parts to recovery - mental, spiritual and physical. He discovered that spiritual didn't have to mean religious, it could be all sorts of glorious events like skydiving. He also found that the medications he took would often help with his depression, but they also balanced him too much, so he couldn't become happy either. He realized something many people may overlook: the importance of happiness in fighting off addiction and how it makes taking it one day at a time much easier. Living for more than just "getting through today without relapsing" is necessary!

The only thing I'd recommend improving on here is the way the book flows. Sawyer jumps around a bit, and although he makes good points and even sums things up fairly well toward the end he never lays things out in a completely straightforward way. At one point he writes that a friend asked him to include his exact method - how much he took and when he took it. He says that he refused to include that here as each person is different, and so what works for him really wouldn't work for everyone. I can understand that, and he does include some specifics - his goal is minimal use, "micro doses of cannabis" are what he finds work best for him and that because of his heart history he sticks with “vaporizing pure extract oils supplemented with occasional edibles”. Throughout the book, with some notes and/or highlighting one can piece together all of the important tips and advice, but borrowing from self-help books by utilizing summaries and clearly pre-highlighted portions would've gone a long way. I would've even enjoyed seeing the author include how one of his typical days goes as an example.

I definitely enjoyed the book, and there were portions that were very poetic. This isn't some quick cash grab attempt at being controversial; it's very clear that Sawyer put this together after years of being his own guinea pig (as he puts it) and finding what works after decades of dealing with addiction. In fact, as he points out, he makes far more from his day job than he ever expects to make from the book, and he risks losing that job if his anonymity vanishes. I'd recommend this book for anyone who is having trouble being sober, even for those who don't want to risk marijuana as a reprieve since Sawyer does a great job of explaining the importance of modifying the program for one's own purposes. My rating of Ripcord Recovery is 3 out of 4 stars.

Ripcord Recovery
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like CataclysmicKnight's review? Post a comment saying so!
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
420waystoreachthesun
Currently Reading: Bomb Goggles
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-420waystoreachthesun.html
Latest Review: The Complete Thief Series: Boxed Set by Michael Dirubio

Post by 420waystoreachthesun »

I loved this review. The topic that the author has grappled with seems quite interesting. I will definitely give it a read. Thank you for writing this.
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

Thanks for a very informative review. The point about happiness is really important, as is the spiritual dimension. I do know of other people who've used marijuana to help with addictions, and have never been sure whether it was really helpful. On the other hand, I know people with MS who have certainly found it transformational. In the UK now, you can buy a form of cannabis oil which doesn't produce any form of high, and I know several people who thing it's wonderful. It sounds as though this book could be a really useful contribution to the debate.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

There's another great plant that helps control addiction as well that gets a bad rap, so I know exactly where the author is coming from. Sounds like a very interesting book that would be beneficial to many people. Thanks for the information.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

I appreciate this review. My mind was changed about the book as I read it. Thank you for your thoroughness. I think more people should be encouraged to write honest books about their personal struggles. It emphasizes how much we all have in common, even if the struggles vary from person to person. Not only that, but every time someone has the gumption to write about these issues, it helps break down the societal barrier of fear of judgment if we're very real with each other.
cpru68
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 179
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 »

The title itself is enough to make one visualize the uniqueness of how he depicts his recovery. When you pull a ripcord, you hope all goes how it should after free falling. It sounds like he took a controversial subject and made it simple to understand for readers. Drug use and addiction needs to be eradicated some way somehow. That sounds far fetched but for those who have recovered, what a blessing. I have never been addicted to anything but coffee and maybe an occasional piece of chocolate! I can’t even imagine something controlling my life like what he went through.
Everything happens for a reason...
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I agree with the author that everyone has to find out what works for them. Telling his story, even without an exact "plan" is probably more powerful than giving readers a 12 step programs. Great review. Thanks.
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

The twelve steps are a powerful tool, and I give credit to any addict that succeeds in creating a life of healthy recovery. I'm not sure I would recommend his method, but I'm glad he is living free.
Cristina Chifane
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Cristina Chifane »

As you can imagine, I am not convinced that curing one addiction with another is quite the answer to the problem. In terms of experimental reading, the book does sound like an interesting read, though.
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
haleygerstenberg
Currently Reading: Amusing ourselves to death
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-haleygerstenberg.html
Latest Review: Superhighway 2 by Alex Fayman

Post by haleygerstenberg »

This is a very interesting concept. It makes me curious whether CBD oils (the helpful part of cannabis that doesn't make you high) would possibly help recovering addicts in the same way. I don't really know anything about it. Regardless, I recently lost a cousin to a drug-related accident, and I'm very happy for the author if he's found a way to avoid coming to the same sad end.
Britty01
Favorite Book: Will's Red Coat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-britty01.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Britty01 »

I thoroughly enjoyed this well thought out and detailed review. The sample of the book gave an indication of why the author felt compelled to write. I am not sure what to think about medical marijuana, good or bad. However, I can understand why the author decided to share his experiences with the hope that it will be beneficial to others.
Yoli García
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yoli-garc-a.html
Latest Review: A taste of Cuba by Birgitte Røddik

Post by Yoli García »

This book is not for me but I am sure it might help people looking to fight addiction with an alternative treatment. Medical marijuana is becoming more acceptable as time goes by. Thanks for the review!
"What matters in life is not what happens to you but what you remember and how you remember it."

-Gabriel García Márquez
Connie2018
Favorite Book: precious gifts
Currently Reading: And Never Let Her Go
Bookshelf Size: 21

Post by Connie2018 »

The review of: Ripcord Recovery, by T.T. Sawyer, gives a good overview of a tough subject.
Overcoming Addiction is such a personal path for everyone, and it's a Brave thing to share your own experience!
Thank you
Connie
Shanna29
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 295
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shanna29.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher
Reading Device: B01DZJFWNC

Post by Shanna29 »

Addiction not only destroys the addict but his/her entire family. This book would definitely be of help for so many of those addicts who would like to lead a sober life. Thanks for the wonderful review.
Kuccellina
Currently Reading: Mistborn
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kuccellina.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by Kuccellina »

I enjoyed this informative and helpful review. Thank you for explaining <i>Ripcord Recovery</i> in a bit more detail than I got from reading the book sample but without spoilers. Not having read the book, just based on what I read from your review, I believe I would agree with the author not to share specifics about how he treats himself during a typical day. He seems to be concerned about losing his job for admitting that he uses cannabis; the last thing he would want is to feel responsible or be held accountable by outside authority for telling people how to break Federal law. That said, I completely understand your wish to be able to read about a typical day and imagine I would, too.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”