Official Review: Expendable and Necessary by Ralph Harris

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
NL Hartje
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Official Review: Expendable and Necessary by Ralph Harris

Post by NL Hartje »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Expendable and Necessary" by Ralph Harris.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A U.S. military plane bound for Vietnam sets off from the California coast; effortlessly dodging the precocious flirtations of the young recruits bound for war, the stewardess smiles behind the drinks and politely eschews their advances. Inside her smile, she hides the truth known only to her and the pilots that service both the outgoing and return flight; these naive servicemen will soon return broken, sullen, and noiseless-if they return at all. Ralph Harris is one of these men. An African-American, nineteen-year-old from Cleveland, drafted away from the parody of wealth offered by the pimps and hustlers of his neighborhood back home, Ralph has no idea what to expect. Expendable and Necessary is his firsthand account of twelve months “touring” as a grunt in the deadly Vietnam War.

Harris’s wide-eyed arrival introduces readers to a world of blistering heat, ceaseless rain, smoking-hot lead, eye-piercing sweat, and rivers of blood. He details his inclusion in the Meed River, Taylor Common, Pipestone Canyon, Durham Peak and Liberty Road operations. The bitterly transient troops made it hard to build any lasting friendships, but much is discussed and discovered during his time on the ground. Curiosity allowed the men to openly consider topics that were taboo at home. In this, many stereotypes were shattered; they were all brothers in green.

Amidst the horrors of the Arizona Territory, Harris recounts cherished laughable times. Times like the night he woke to rats climbing on him while his buddies stood by laughing, the day his platoon created their own Rumble in the Jungle to ease tensions, and his failed attempt to break his own arm looking for a discharge. These events showed readers how heart and hope could stay alive in the direst of situations.

Although Harris received a bit of notoriety while he was there, eventually growing to be known as “the O-H-Ten brother from Gulf Company,” his story shone a light on the soldiers’ awareness that lives were often valued according to racial identity. From being constantly sent to point for the most traumatic missions to being denied promotions for voicing his concerns, Harris got the distinct feeling that he and his “soul brothers” were nothing more than expendables being used as a means to an end.

His open-minded commentary on the race war within the political conflict, however, was refreshing and revealing. The book’s conversational tone made this otherwise battle-ridden war epic an introspective and engaging read. His non-reactionary mind provided a balanced playing field for the topics of racism and conformity to be scrutinized.

Among the many things I loved were his descriptions of military slang and daily routine. As a civilian, these were particularly enlightening. I did find eleven errors while reading, but in a book of this length, the number suggests some level of editing must have occurred. I have repeatedly wavered on whether or not these errors warrant losing a star because the book was altogether humbling otherwise. In the end, I have decided to rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. With the errors corrected, I find no fault in this book. I certainly recommend Expendable and Necessary to any veteran who wants to find healing through the eyes of another or any civilian who wants to understand the sacrifices made during this war. Through his experiences, Lance Corporal Ralph Harris came away with a newfound appreciation for life, laughter, tears, and pain. I hope that all who read this book come away with the same. I certainly did.

Expendable and Necessary
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like NL Hartje's review? Post a comment saying so!
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
Poppy Drear
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-poppy-drear.html
Latest Review: Five of Pentacles by Anna Munson

Post by Poppy Drear »

Seems like this book is pretty eye-opening. The subject matter is a bit too dark for me personally, but I'm sure people who enjoy this kind of novel would find it gripping. Thanks for the review!
NL Hartje
Currently Reading:

Post by NL Hartje »

ViziVoir wrote: 20 Mar 2018, 19:21 Seems like this book is pretty eye-opening. The subject matter is a bit too dark for me personally, but I'm sure people who enjoy this kind of novel would find it gripping. Thanks for the review!
I was hesitant at first since I generally stay faaaar away from war books but having reviewed two separate Vietnam books in the past month, I feel I've broadened my horizons as a reader, reviewer, and (honestly) a human.
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
Edgeona
Currently Reading: Ironbark Hill
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-edgeona.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Edgeona »

It's a book to read, insightful, sharing the experiences some of the US troops pass through at war. It is Informative as well
kislany
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 527
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kislany.html
Latest Review: Golden Skies by Juan Zapata

Post by kislany »

I was just a toddler in another country during the times of the Vietnam War, so it's not really as close to my heart like, say, WWII in Europe. However, I do enjoy historical fiction, so this sounds intriguing enough. Thanks for a great review.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

The errors sound pretty minor to me. All in all, it really sounds like a very enlightening story about a very difficult time. I'm glad the author has a few fond memories to look back on, though I'm sure they are few and far between. Thanks for sharing the book with us.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
NL Hartje
Currently Reading:

Post by NL Hartje »

Edgeona wrote: 20 Mar 2018, 21:58 It's a book to read, insightful, sharing the experiences some of the US troops pass through at war. It is Informative as well
Thanks for taking the time to read my review! Have you read the book as well? You seem quite knowledgeable about it. If you don't mind my asking, how did you rate the book? I would love to read your review!
-Dr. Seuss
NL Hartje
Currently Reading:

Post by NL Hartje »

kislany wrote: 21 Mar 2018, 00:44 I was just a toddler in another country during the times of the Vietnam War, so it's not really as close to my heart like, say, WWII in Europe.
I can completely understand the disconnect, it's hard to feel empathy when events are so far removed from one's own situation. I acknowledge similar lack of feeling myself where other wars are concerned.

Thanks for taking the time to read!
-Dr. Seuss
NL Hartje
Currently Reading:

Post by NL Hartje »

kandscreeley wrote: 21 Mar 2018, 07:55 The errors sound pretty minor to me. All in all, it really sounds like a very enlightening story about a very difficult time. I'm glad the author has a few fond memories to look back on, though I'm sure they are few and far between.
They were very minor, but also very basic and glaring. It became clear to me that the author was very well written and the mistakes left in the book were simply those that his eyes missed which signaled to me that it was not professionally edited. I hope he gets an editor and republishes.
-Dr. Seuss
melissy370
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: Home To Kentucky by Thomas A. McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by melissy370 »

Sounds like a intense book. My father was in the Vietnam war and would never talk about his experiences there as they were traumatic for him. I am glad that the author could open up about this time in his life. Don't think I will read this book because it hits so close to home. Thanks for your review.
londonmartine
Currently Reading: American River
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-londonmartine.html
Latest Review: Demon Freaks by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by londonmartine »

Great review - I spent quite a lot of time in Vietnam in my twenties, and loved the country and lamented its dark recent history. It's good that these stories are told - so many people suffered for so little, and people should know about it.
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

I'm a big fan memoirs. I was never good at absorbing history through textbooks in school, so reading about personal stories is a wonderful way for me to learn what I missed in my formal education. Although the content will surely be hard to read about, it will also be educational and memorable. I like your statement that the book offers "how heart and hope could stay alive in the direst of situations." Thanks for a great review!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
NL Hartje
Currently Reading:

Post by NL Hartje »

melissy370 wrote: 21 Mar 2018, 10:48 Sounds like a intense book. My father was in the Vietnam war and would never talk about his experiences there as they were traumatic for him. I am glad that the author could open up about this time in his life. Don't think I will read this book because it hits so close to home. Thanks for your review.
Wow, thank you to your father for his service. It is hard to discern who will and won't like this book as so many soldiers likely came away with different emotional wounds depending on their locales. I certainly agree that it might bring up too many harsh memories for some. I hope, for the author's sake, that he will find an audience in those who are ready to heal.
-Dr. Seuss
NL Hartje
Currently Reading:

Post by NL Hartje »

londonmartine wrote: 21 Mar 2018, 11:51 Great review - I spent quite a lot of time in Vietnam in my twenties, and loved the country and lamented its dark recent history. It's good that these stories are told - so many people suffered for so little, and people should know about it.
I agree, knowing the history and sacrifice of a country make it more beautiful. My husband and I have had Vietnam on our travel list for two years now and after reading this book I am even more anxious to make it happen.

Thank you for taking the time to read my review.
-Dr. Seuss
NL Hartje
Currently Reading:

Post by NL Hartje »

stacie k wrote: 21 Mar 2018, 14:18 I'm a big fan memoirs. I was never good at absorbing history through textbooks in school, so reading about personal stories is a wonderful way for me to learn what I missed in my formal education. Although the content will surely be hard to read about, it will also be educational and memorable. I like your statement that the book offers "how heart and hope could stay alive in the direst of situations." Thanks for a great review!
Wow, what a great comment on the readability of this book. I don't think you are alone in struggling to stay engaged with history books. You're absolutely right that when put in this context, it is more easily absorbed. I certainly learned more about the war in this book than I ever did in history class.
-Dr. Seuss

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”