Official Review: Navigating Through THE Valleys of Success

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kelebogile Mbangi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelebogile-mbangi.html
Latest Review: At Day's End, I'll Always Be Me by Jerry A. Greenberg

Official Review: Navigating Through THE Valleys of Success

Post by Kelebogile Mbangi »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Navigating Through THE Valleys of Success" by Cleon Joseph.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Navigating Through the Valleys of Success is a nonfiction book by Cleon Joseph. The author aims to inspire those on the verge of giving up. He acknowledges that we face daunting obstacles - fear of failure, finances, draining work environments - the list is endless. Yet, he encourages his readers not give up on their entrepreneurial dreams.

In the first few chapters, Cleon narrates how his father, a successful entrepreneur, lost everything and hit rock bottom. That experience rocked Cleon to his core, leading him to yearn for job security. As a result, he became a police officer. After a few years, he jumped at the opportunity of joining the Training Division. Having always been passionate about fitness, he poured himself into his work. Surprisingly, he received negative reactions from his superiors. He then realized that he would not find true fulfillment in his nine-to-five job. He had been suppressing his entrepreneural spirit for far too long. After obtaining the necessary training and certification, he started his own business, CJ's Functional Fitness. Throughout the rest of the book, he shares his life experiences from that point on and highlights important life lessons that he has acquired.

The author emphasizes the importance of embracing our valleys. In the prologue, he explains that these valleys are symbolic of the challenges and difficulties we must face. He goes on to demonstrate this through his personal experiences. I learned that instead of wallowing in self pity when faced with trials, I should welcome and learn from them.

The author narrates his experiences with such feeling and energy. Not only that, but most of these experiences are unpretentious and relatable. I appreciate that the author was willing to share potentially embarrassing moments in his life. For example, he divulges that there was a point in his life where he depended on unemployment checks.

For me, the best part of the book is when the author narrates how he grew his business. He began operating CJ's Functional Fitness while the economy was doing poorly. Instead of letting this put a damper on his plans, he used it to his advantage. What's more, he held onto his day job while growing his business. It was refreshingly different that the author of this book valued job security.

Although the author mentions his faith throughout the book, I am positive that even non-religious readers will be able to enjoy this book. I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. It contains a disturbing number of typos. These typos obscure the meaning of some sentences.

Navigating Through THE Valleys of Success
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Kelebogile Mbangi's review? Post a comment saying so!
"And will you succeed?
Yes! You will, indeed!
(98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed.)
KID, YOU'LL MOVE MOUNTAINS!" - Dr. Seuss
Cristina Chifane
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Cristina Chifane »

I am not a reader of motivational books, but I enjoyed reading your review and I think that maybe I should give this type of books a second chance. Thank you.
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
kiwan
Currently Reading: The Hidden Puzzle in Marriage
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by kiwan »

I am trying to read motivational books, but I enjoyed reading books
Hildah Mose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hildah-mose.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by Hildah Mose »

I love reading people's experiences and somehow see if they relate to mine. I think I read this book soon. Thanks for your review. I loved it
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Valleys seem to be part of everyone's life. It is how you navigate them that matters. I'm curious about the author's experience. Still it seems like it needs some editing. Thanks for the information.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Kalin Adi
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kalin-adi.html
Latest Review: French for Girls by JP Wright

Post by Kalin Adi »

How sad it is when you have a goal and are working hard to get it and people do not give you a hand, and what's worse, try to persuade you to give up. I understand how Cleon must have felt when his superiors had only negative reactions about his passion. Since today he's a successful business entrepreneur, he proved them wrong. Thanks for sharing this good story.
LANY 3118
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by LANY 3118 »

Totally agree with you. I could say, everyone could relate and apply it to their lives just like what I'm doing. You guys better read this.
K1llarn3y
Currently Reading: How Hard Can It Be
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k1llarn3y.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by K1llarn3y »

Very detailed review. Love motivational books, will buy this
NeonKay
Favorite Book: Guradian of Deceit
Currently Reading: The 11.05 Murders
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-neonkay.html
Latest Review: Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles

Post by NeonKay »

I love how you wrote your review of this book. It sounds really interesting to my ear and it makes me feel proud in the author's part. I feel sorry for a number of typos in his book. I wished it was proofread before it's release to the public. :techie-reference:
There's nothing else more exciting than making a rough place your comfort zone. :wink: --kc fernandez
drunyan
Currently Reading: A Kingdom's Cost
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drunyan.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by drunyan »

I wish I could say that this book sounds appealing. I am stuck in one of those valleys that the author probably is talking about. Motivational stuff is even harder to read when you are not even motivated to open a book!
I am back! 4 months after radiation treatments and still cancer-free!
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kat Berg »

kandscreeley wrote: 17 Feb 2018, 10:42 Valleys seem to be part of everyone's life. It is how you navigate them that matters. I'm curious about the author's experience. Still it seems like it needs some editing. Thanks for the information.
Yes! So true. Valleys, or difficulties, are an inescapable part of life. And I do appreciate reading about how people navigate them. However, the "disturbing number of typos" would cause me to be reluctant to read the book.
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

This book contains a powerful message. Too bad there are too many typos. I hope a round of editing is in the works.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
Arrigo_Lupori
Favorite Author: Haruki Murakami
Currently Reading: A Short History of Nearly Everything
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arrigo-lupori.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 2566

Post by Arrigo_Lupori »

I don't know if this is for me.. It sounds a bit too generic honestly
"The abstract sensation of living a lifestyle that hasn't been fully understood."
- The epitome of taste in living disgrace.
prettysmart
Currently Reading: Big Doc Bitteroot
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prettysmart.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery by R.F. Kristi

Post by prettysmart »

Am desperately i need of motivational books so thanks for this exceptional review!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”