Official Review: Outdoor Adventures by eliot

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Re: Official Review: Outdoor Adventures by eliot

Post by CommMayo »

inaramid wrote: 17 Feb 2018, 08:32 So it IS just like listening to two drunk guys in a bar. Or a transcribed version of it :). The errors are a deal-breaker for me, but while I will never read this book, I really enjoyed reading your review.
Two drunk guys right before last call! Thank you for commenting on my review!
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kat Berg »

Man, I have been in your shoes! There are times I find myself reading a book and crying, "Please! Please just let me edit this for you!" I am no longer surprised about this. But I will never understand how people think they can bypass an editor! Thanks for the detailed review, and sorry about the poor grammar et al.
Paul78
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 38572">Who Told You That You Were Naked?</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paul78.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Paul78 »

I always enjoy reading your reviews. They are always well articulated and straight to the point. It is quite unfortunate that the author ignored the role of an editor in this book. I assume that he had not engaged a professional editor. It would be worse had he engaged one, who later failed on their job.
An investment in knowledge pays the best interest.
Benjamin Franklin
Mekkinism
Currently Reading: Raven's Peak
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mekkinism.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by Mekkinism »

The book may not be well written but the review definitely is! Boy, this book sounds like a wild ride from start to finish, and not necessarily in a good way. I think you're being honest and fair. There's nothing really subjective about a book that is riddled with grammatical errors and formatting issues. Those are issues that get in the way of any reader's enjoyment, regardless of how they feel about the actual subject matter.
prettysmart
Currently Reading: Big Doc Bitteroot
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prettysmart.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery by R.F. Kristi

Post by prettysmart »

The title Outdoor Adventures sounds very enthralling.....too bad the author had a terrible flow of the plot ....hope you enjoy your next book!
Astrocelot
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-astrocelot.html
Latest Review: Book Blueprint by Jacqui Pretty

Post by Astrocelot »

"A rough draft"; that's a fantastic way to describe a book like this. When you summarize it, it does sound like a fun read (which just means you're a good reviewer), especially at the really ridiculous points! UFOs? Really?? I hope it does get another round of editing and/or a ghost writer like you suggested because it sounds like it has the workings of something great!
CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

Mekkinism wrote: 20 Feb 2018, 20:45 The book may not be well written but the review definitely is! Boy, this book sounds like a wild ride from start to finish, and not necessarily in a good way. I think you're being honest and fair. There's nothing really subjective about a book that is riddled with grammatical errors and formatting issues. Those are issues that get in the way of any reader's enjoyment, regardless of how they feel about the actual subject matter.
Thanks for the compliment. The struggles of reviewing an awful book are real...I find humor to be the best way to nice-ishly deal with a disappointing book.
Astrocelot wrote: 09 Mar 2018, 16:19 "A rough draft"; that's a fantastic way to describe a book like this. When you summarize it, it does sound like a fun read (which just means you're a good reviewer), especially at the really ridiculous points! UFOs? Really?? I hope it does get another round of editing and/or a ghost writer like you suggested because it sounds like it has the workings of something great!
This could be a good book, but I have a feeling that the author's ego is in the way between what he has now and what could be (with a major helping hand from someone else).
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Nice review! Sorry to hear the book wasn't executed well, since the premise sounded interesting. It's always frustrated when a story is poorly edited.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Sweet Psamy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweet-psamy.html
Latest Review: Lost and Love: Thailand (Book One of the Lost and Love Series) by Stella Knights

Post by Sweet Psamy »

Looks like the underlying story was told in such a way that it makes it hard for the reader to follow.I would love to read this book after the author has worked on it.
labibliofile
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-labibliofile.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by labibliofile »

I understand how frustrating it can be when a book is poorly edited and you are often left wondering the actual meaning of some sentences. Well, I must stay away from this book, unless a new or better-edited version is published!
"Growth is the essence of life."

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”