Official Review: Alien in the Delta by Thankful Strother

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
BookBuffoonery
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookbuffoonery.html
Latest Review: "In Good Hands" by Billie Allen

Official Review: Alien in the Delta by Thankful Strother

Post by BookBuffoonery »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Alien in the Delta" by Thankful Strother.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Alien in the Delta by Thankful Strother is a memoir of notable events and observations from the author's life. It is a short, yet entertaining book which gives readers a glimpse into a particular period of American history.

Thankful Strother shares a series of memorable events from throughout his lifetime. Some of them feature well-known events, such as his reaction to JFK's assassination, while others are personal memories. The stories run the gamut from early home life to first kiss, from a stint in the US Air Force to the purchase of income property. The combination of facts and the author's thoughts and feelings, make for interesting reading. Several personal photos are scattered throughout the book.

I really enjoyed reading about Thankful's life. He is a good storyteller and has a knack for sharing the lessons he has learned in life. I could not believe some of the things he experienced, such as the escapades he had in Europe (inappropriate for younger readers). Also, it was quite interesting to learn about his experiences as a black man in the South, in the U.S. Air Force, in Europe, and marrying a German woman. I was gratified by how much Thankful was able to accomplish in his life, despite the obstacles present to black men during that time period in the U.S.

The format of this book is somewhat unique. It does not follow the typical chapter model, but is divided into topical sections by headings. Each section is fairly short. The concise sections make this an ideal book to read in small increments. The writing style could be classified as conversational. It is as if the author is simply telling readers a series of life stories. Unfortunately, there were several errors in the text, including incorrect word usage, missing words, and misspellings.

I would rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I didn't give this book a 4, because the writing could have used more editing and there were a fair number of errors. Thankful's life story is an interesting and colorful narrative of what life was like for one black man during the Civil Rights era. The story is aimed at adults because of themes having to do with sex, alcohol, drugs, etc. There is also a sprinkling of swear words. I would recommend it to people who enjoy historical memoirs or first-hand accounts of life during the Civil Rights era.

Alien in the Delta
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like BookBuffoonery's review? Post a comment saying so!
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Sounds like a very interesting and inspiring book. I, too, am gratified by 'how much Thankful was able to accomplish in his life, despite the obstacles present to black men during that time period in the U.S.' I have read several books about that time in US history and almost all of them are about prejudice against Black Americans. Too bad about the errors. Great job on the review.
BookBuffoonery
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookbuffoonery.html

Post by BookBuffoonery »

Thanks for your reply! Yes, I'm fascinated by that period of U.S. history, too. Another interesting book that you might want to check out is Black Like Me by John Howard Griffin.
Kdonegan91
Favorite Author: Wanda E. Brunstetter
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 202">Never Cry Again</a>
Currently Reading: Ironbark Hill
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdonegan91.html
Latest Review: "A Matter of Faith" by Duke Woodrick
Reading Device: 1400699169
fav_author_id: 19883

Post by Kdonegan91 »

Great review! Sounds like an interesting book. I will add it to my list.
When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change. - Wayne Dyer
Latest Review: "A Matter of Faith" by Duke Woodrick
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A memoir recounting the author's life in the 1960's south sounds intriguing. It seems like the author had quite a lot on his plate and it is good he managed to overcome the obstacles life laid in his path. The division into sections does sound unique. I am not into memoirs, but I am glad you enjoyed the book. Thank you for the nice review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
BoyLazy
Currently Reading: Temptation Trials Part II
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-boylazy.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by BoyLazy »

I dont like books with lot of swear words. Thanks for the review :)
Boy Lazy
Reviewer | Blogger | Influencer

Stephen23
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Stephen23 »

This book takes me back to the time when John F Kennedy was killed during an assassination. I must read it
mindyg123
Currently Reading: Lycan Fallout
Bookshelf Size: 565
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mindyg123.html

Post by mindyg123 »

Good review. Normally I don't read memoirs but from what I've read I'll definitely be checking this out. The story of a black mans life in the years of segregation and onward sounds interesting, especially with the style more conversational than storytelling. Congrats on being BOTD.
Mindyg123 :techie-studyingbrown:
AnMari
Currently Reading: Murder in Memory
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anmari.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by AnMari »

I normally don't read memoirs, but this sounds interesting. I particularly like the idea that the book is written in small sections. Perfect for a busy mom this time of year! Hope I can sneak in a couple of pages.
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

This is a story worth sharing. Thankful's life history could inspire many who feel like outcasts.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
Waragu Samuel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 473
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-waragu-samuel.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Waragu Samuel »

Some of them feature well-known events, such as his reaction to JFK's assassination, while others are personal memories.
Sure. There are some personalities whose their end of life leaves such a memorable mark to the people at the time as well as to the future people. JFK is one of them. Glad that this memoir has a place for him. Thanks for the review.
“If things start happening, don't worry, don't stew, just go right along and you'll start happening too.”~Dr. Theodor Seuss Geisel (1904-1991)
MsDree
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 268
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msdree.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by MsDree »

I normally don't read memoir books but reading your review, I'm now interested to read this book. Thank you and great review!
"A book, too, can be a star, a living fire to lighten the darkness, leading out into the expanding universe." — Madeline L'Engle
Strangerthanfiction
Currently Reading: Night Seeker
Bookshelf Size: 304
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-strangerthanfiction.html

Post by Strangerthanfiction »

Nice review. This sounds like a great read for fans of memoirs and history. I think the conversational tone to the book will allow readers to really connect with the author and his story. Thanks for sharing.
“You know you’ve read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend.” – Paul Sweeney
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kat Berg »

Hmmm, I’m not always a fan of memoirs, but I do love reading about the Civil rights era, and for me it is a plus that it is arranged by theme. Then I can read what interests me, here and there.
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

Sounds interesting! Anything to do about true stories, I will have a personal look; but what highlighted the most was how much he had accomplished in his life, this is what caught my attention the most. Good review! Looking forward to this book.
Last edited by Sahani Nimandra on 22 Dec 2017, 08:16, edited 1 time in total.
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”