Official Review: Alien in the Delta by Thankful Strother

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Wesono
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 407
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wesono.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Re: Official Review: Alien in the Delta by Thankful Strother

Post by Wesono »

I like this review. But, I have a feeling that even though you liked the book, you are just being nice about the things that didn't go well with the book.
DisneyDoug2018
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-disneydoug2018.html
Latest Review: Barbra Streisand: On the Couch by Alma H. Bond, Ph.D.

Post by DisneyDoug2018 »

At times, Alien in The Delta is a very tough read. As a progressive, liberal individual, learning about the horrors that Thankful Strother had to endure was pretty painful. As a coming-of-age tale set among the backdrop of the emerging civil rights movement, it absolutely hits its mark. But in all candor, just learning that his fifth-grade teacher in Arkansas would use a four inch leather strap to inflict punishment was not easy to stomach.
Juanita700
Currently Reading: Anastasia’s Book of Days
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juanita700.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by Juanita700 »

It is always interesting to read books about history from the viewpoint of a person who lived in a time period unknown to you. It gives you experiences and knowledge who would not have had otherwise. It is my kind of book.
britt13
Currently Reading: the last of the really great wangdoodlea
Bookshelf Size: 165
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-britt13.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by britt13 »

This book seems like it covers some very interesting moments in history, as well as the structure, are what pull me into wanting to read it.
alangner
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alangner.html
Latest Review: The Broadcast by Liam Fialkov
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by alangner »

I haven't read the book, but I did read the excerpt on Amazon. I also found the format unique. I would add that it also seemed a little disjointed to me. I would have to agree wholeheartedly with you that it definitely needed more editing. I found a duplicated paragraph in the excerpt. While the other things you mentioned him reminiscing on, such as the JFK assassination and his escapades in Europe, sound interesting, it isn't enough to get me past the lack of editing. I wish it was better done because it truly does sound like an inspirational story. Thanks for the great review.
jane0price
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by jane0price »

Alien in the Delta. After reading the preview I think it’s a book I’m going to breeze through. I love books mimicking a memoir. Starting out the main character is to be six years old, we’ll follow him into adulthood and as such I’ll read the book hearing and envisioning the narration, a grown man reflecting... I really look forward to starting (and finishing, lol) this book. Thank you for the opportunity.
Respectfully Jane Price
mnmueller
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mnmueller.html
Latest Review: Puffy and the Formidable Foe by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by mnmueller »

Thank you for a clear picture of the book. While I enjoy unconventional ways to structure a book, I am not the biggest fan of conversational style story telling. Adding in grammar and spelling errors may make the book more of a chore than it's worth.

However, your summary makes the story sound fascinating. Seeing the Civil Rights Era through the eyes of someone who lived it may be worth the potential aggravation. The short set up of each section is also a good thing. I may have to give this one a try when I need something to read that I can put down just as easily.
Buchacha21
Currently Reading: China Virus
Bookshelf Size: 284
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-buchacha21.html
Latest Review: Kindred Journeys by Marjorie Tapley-Olson

Post by Buchacha21 »

I have recently discovered a new appreciation for biographies and I am adding this to my list of "what to read next". Thankful's life sounds very interesting and adventurous and I feel it is very important to read books from another person's perspective, especially from the perspective of people of different cultures. I look forward to reading about Thankful's life and the challenges he overcomes as a black man in the U.S. Thank you for the excellent review.
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

It would be good to learn about Thankful's accomplishments in life during the civil rights era written without bitterness, despite the obstacles present to black men during that time period. Thanks for the great review.
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
BookishCreature
Currently Reading: Travels with Vamper
Bookshelf Size: 247
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookishcreature.html
Latest Review: The Library of Secrets: The Giant Mistake by Zoe Penn

Post by BookishCreature »

This seems like a really interesting memoir. The Civil Rights era is a fascinating moment in history, and it sounds like Strother really captured that. Great review!
Paul78
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 38572">Who Told You That You Were Naked?</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paul78.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Paul78 »

Paul78 wrote: 22 Dec 2017, 14:26 I have just gone through the sample from this book and the stories are brief and well written. As for the rating given, I agree that the book is good though, I haven't seen the errors so far.
Stories of how black people went through discrimination even where they were performing better than their peers are a rich source of our history.
An investment in knowledge pays the best interest.
Benjamin Franklin
phemmaj
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 39

Post by phemmaj »

I'm not a fan of memoirs but I can't help it when it comes to the life experience of the blacks. The review is inviting.
CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

This sounds like a very interesting perspective on America during the civil rights era. We need more first person accounts to help people empathize with race inequality in America.
carms6889
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30

Post by carms6889 »

I very much like the book being non-fiction, a life story of the author himself, however I noticed an error of grammar usage in location 250 talking about his parents, it says "I will always treasurer those talks with my mother about God", should it supposed to be "treasure"?
sztjane
Currently Reading: Bad Choices Make Good Stories
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sztjane.html
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami

Post by sztjane »

Thank you for a great and honest review BookBuffoonery on Alien in the Delta, example there is grammar errors. This memoir is moving. About an African American through the civil rights era, becoming successful with self help. We should be ashamed his grandfather was jailed trying to protect himself.
Thank you Thankful and BOTD.
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”