Non-Fiction Book Recommendations

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
CatlynnHighlights
Currently Reading: Infinite Jest
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-catlynnhighlights.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: Non-Fiction Book Recommendations

Post by CatlynnHighlights »

The Diary of a Bookseller by Shaun Bythell was a wonderful nonfiction book. I am usually staunchly opposed to nonfiction, on the grounds that the books are too boring. This book, which is exactly what you would expect from the title, was so interesting that I believed it to be fiction until I reached the end! It's the diary of a bookseller in Scotland, filled with tales about customers and coworkers. It's immensely entertaining and I would recommend it to anyone and everyone (except maybe people who believe that Amazon is the best place to buy books).
Comment on my review and I'll comment on yours. I'm always looking for new books to read!

"..one may smile, and smile, and be a villain." - Shakespeare
Kansas City Teacher
Review Team Admin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kansas-city-teacher.html
Latest Review: Project: 211 by Sammy Maida

Post by Kansas City Teacher »

I recommend The Altitude Journals, by David Mauro. In this narrative, the author describes his experiences climbing the highest mountains of each continent. Coping with personal life problems, he climbs the summit of Mt. Denali, the highest peak in North America and then sets his sights on the Seven Summits. As he faces the dangers he also faces the mountains within himself. This memoir is a reflection of challenges and personal growth.

It was so good, and very emotional.
mariana90
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariana90.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by mariana90 »

I recommend "The Black Swan" by Nassim Nicholas Taleb. It truly challenges our world-views.
Cally66
Currently Reading: City of friends
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cally66.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Cally66 »

I have read and thoroughly enjoyed Queen Victoria’s biography as well as Andre Agassi’s Open. The Girl with the Cardboard Port was intriguing.
Eclecticmama
Favorite Author: Patricia Briggs
Currently Reading: Chasing Fireflies
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eclecticmama.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S
fav_author_id: 4314

Post by Eclecticmama »

I just got done with "God, Greed, and the (Prosperity) Gospel" by Costi Hinn. If you have ever been involved in a church that deals in prophetic healing, speaking in tongues, or being slain in the spirit, then this book is for you. Written by the nephew of Benni Hinn, this book goes in depth at how these mega churches lure people in with promises of health and wealth, but only if you hand over large amounts of hard earned money and have enough faith.
This one is an eye opener to the hidden evils behind church doors, and also goes into what to do if you have family and friends that go along with these beliefs. I couldn't recommend this one highly enough.
Jess_book_queen
Currently Reading: Homo Deus
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jess-book-queen.html
Latest Review: A Portrait of Mommy by JL Coston

Post by Jess_book_queen »

Whippet wrote: 16 Jan 2018, 03:13 Sapiens by Yuval Noah Hariri. Traces the journey of humanity and humankind from prehistory to just about now. The author compacts millennia into several hundred pages and intersperses humour into an otherwise grim retelling of our collective story ... Nonfiction doesn't always push the right buttons for me but this book does.
I am a massive fan of this book, I devoured it very quickly. It was beautifully written that made it easy to read and explained how homo sapiens evolved and why the world works the way it does now. Would recommend this book to anyone as it gives a really clear insight not just on human evolution and history, but on the current global climate and what has caused the world to work the way it does. Very interesting read and fully informative.
Asunta
Currently Reading: My Father Drank My Lover and Other Short Stories
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asunta.html
Latest Review: The Surgeon's Wife by William H. Coles

Post by Asunta »

I'd recommend Tuesdays with Morrie by Mitch Albom.
The author becomes a frequent visitor of his former professor in his final days and writes about the conversations they had and the things he got to learn from his teacher even as he was dying. It's a very touching account of events that would make a person reflect on their way of life.
Asunta
Currently Reading: My Father Drank My Lover and Other Short Stories
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asunta.html
Latest Review: The Surgeon's Wife by William H. Coles

Post by Asunta »

I've also recently been interested in stories about the holocaust. Most people have heard of or read the diary of Anne Frank but I, in addition, read this beautiful and impactful tale of love, The Tattooist of Auschwitz by Heather Morris and it's precious. An autobiographical account of Jew-born Lale Sokolov (penned by Morris), who was the tattooist at Auschwitz-Birkenau camps falls in love with an inmate and henceforth, alongside the World War, begins another war between love and hate.
Henga
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Henga »

I would like to recommend Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister book by Gregory Maguire. I have enjoyed the book very much. it will be a mind-blowing story you have ever read.
Ivona R
Currently Reading: Clean Water for Developing Countries
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ivona-r.html
Latest Review: Restore Trust by Werner NEFF

Post by Ivona R »

I'm always looking for good non-fiction book recommendations. I'm not looking for self-help books or biographies, though. I like informative books.
Jane Redmond
Currently Reading: Becoming
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jane-redmond.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Jane Redmond »

SmartShopp3r wrote: 04 Nov 2009, 17:57 I was hoping to find more non fiction recommendations.

Please!!!!
I really enjoyed Burn Zones: Playing Life’s
Bad Hands by Jorge P. Newbery. It is a memoir of an entrepreneur who lost his $26 million fortune due to an ice storm in 2004.
Simona Dimitrova
Favorite Book: Surviving Chaos
Currently Reading: Si’Empra’s Queen
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-simona-dimitrova.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Simona Dimitrova »

I highly recommend Surviving chaos by Harold Phifer and How To Be Successful: Think Like A Leader by M. Curtis McCoy. These are such a great books!
Medhansh Bhardwaj
Currently Reading: Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-medhansh-bhardwaj.html
Latest Review: Mrs. White’s SUB SNIPS by Laura Moss White

Post by Medhansh Bhardwaj »

2 amazing non- fictional books (both are self-help books)-
1. How to Be Successful- M. Curtis McCoy
2. Leadership- Craig B. Whelden
Bhaskar Rogha
Currently Reading: Twilight
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bhaskar-rogha.html
Latest Review: My Trip To Adele by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by Bhaskar Rogha »

The non-fiction book that I would like to recommend is The REAL MR. BIG by Ron Chepsiuk with Jesus Ruiz Henao. It is about how a Colombian refugee became U.K.'s most notorious cocaine kingpin and how he learned from that mistake.
Bhaskar Rogha
Currently Reading: Twilight
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bhaskar-rogha.html
Latest Review: My Trip To Adele by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by Bhaskar Rogha »

I would like to recommend The Employee Millionaire by H.J. Chamas. I've read and worked only on the workbook and don't know what does the main book offer. The workbook is great. It is greatly recommended for those who have 7 or 8-hour jobs and would like to become financially free by acquiring and renting out properties.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”