Review of Trust Yourself to Be All In

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
OTrain Disene
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Flight Quack
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-otrain-disene.html
Latest Review: Mysteries by Graham Wilson

Review of Trust Yourself to Be All In

Post by OTrain Disene »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Trust Yourself to Be All In" by Amanda McKoy Flanagan.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

By choosing to read Trust Yourself to Be All In by Amanda McKoy Flanagan, you prepare to immerse yourself in a very heartbreaking story that will leave you shedding tears and chuckling nonstop after that. This book narrates all the trauma the author has faced from a young age. Not only that, but it also narrates her triumphs in reclaiming her life and channelling her life to greatness. This book is hard as much as it is soothing. It is sweet and inspiring.

The book opens with a welcome, where the author poetically describes her life. She says that in the past decades of her life, she has descended into her own shadow. She says that there have been a lot of things that have led her to this dark position, but it was mostly revealed when the global pandemic hit. Staying indoors for hundreds of days really gave her time to evaluate her life and see where she could improve, learn, and develop herself more. The prologue follows shortly after that, which is very heartbreaking because it shows an assault that happened to a very young girl, who later is revealed to be the author.

Then the first chapter commences, and it also opens with bad news. It is March 2018 when the author receives a phone call. Before she can answer it, she can somehow tell that this won’t be a nice call. And indeed, that was the case because it was her mother on the other side of the phone, informing her that her brother was dead. And so the author details the sweet memories she had with her brother. From childhood, when they didn’t know better, to when they were informed by their parents about getting a divorce. Theirs has been a one-of-a-kind relationship that, after her brother’s death, wasn’t the same. In the rest of the book, the author talks about how she survived and to what lengths she went to reclaim her life and make it better.

This title is a combination of a memoir, a self-help, and a motivational book, in that order. I enjoyed reading it. In the first part of it, the author, both figuratively and literally, gets naked and shows us her scars. She is not doing that to scare us away but to inspire us. Through her pain, we can see that it is possible to rise from the ground when you thought it was impossible. The author owned her truth. I liked that she was not blaming anyone. It was about her and only her. She didn’t give the other person the power to redefine her. Then from the middle up to the end of the book, the author motivates us. She teaches us how to take control and move beyond the pain.

The author’s advice was what stood out the most for me. They were very practical and realistic. Most advice you get from self-help books is devoid of the emotions and psychology that play when one finds themselves in bad situations. But this one notes that, indeed, it will be hard to initiate the process of healing. This book does not push the wake-up call. Instead, it alerts us to what it might sound like, so when it does happen to ring, we might be familiar with it and answer quickly before it is too late.

The author wrote this book in a soft manner. This was surprising to see because one would expect to see and hear her shout, and who would blame her for what she has been through? Instead, the author is calm and collected. Her words came out carefully. Everyone will feel comfortable around them. I liked how organised it was. The chapters were few. They are twenty-two in total, excluding the prologue and epilogue. Each one of them has a title at the beginning to let you know what to expect in each and to make it easier to revisit the book when you are done with it and only interested in a couple of particular chapters. They didn’t have subheadings but were rather separated by a leaf.

I only disliked the conclusion. It talked about chakras, and this is what I simply don’t believe in and have had the worst experience with. I would have appreciated some other scientific methods besides that. The book was exceptionally edited because I came across no errors. This proves it was edited by professionals. With all the reasons above taken into account, I rate this book four out of five stars. The conclusion was the only letdown. I recommend it to mature teenagers and young adults who are interested in motivational books, in particular.

Trust Yourself to Be All In
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

I like that the book is not just a memoir but also a self-help and motivational book. I like the relatable side of Amanda -- to inspire others through her experiences--good or bad. I'm excited to know. Thanks for your incredible review, OTrain!
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe
Bishal Sharma 1
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Bishal Sharma 1 »

"Trust Yourself to Be All In" is a motivational phrase that encourages individuals to have confidence in their abilities and fully commit to their goals and aspirations. While it's not clear what specific product, book, or program this phrase is associated with, I can provide a general review based on the concept it represents.

Review:

The concept of trusting oneself and being fully committed to personal growth and success is undeniably powerful. "Trust Yourself to Be All In" encapsulates the essence of self-belief, determination, and perseverance. By embracing this mindset, individuals can overcome challenges, push their limits, and achieve remarkable things.

The phrase serves as a reminder that self-confidence and unwavering dedication are vital ingredients for personal achievement. It encourages people to trust their instincts, abilities, and judgment, empowering them to take risks and pursue their dreams with conviction. When one believes in themselves wholeheartedly and commits fully to their goals, they can unlock their true potential and accomplish extraordinary feats.

Moreover, "Trust Yourself to Be All In" emphasizes the importance of embracing the journey rather than solely focusing on the destination. It encourages individuals to be present, enjoy the process, and learn from setbacks and failures. By acknowledging that success often comes with obstacles, this mindset instills resilience and a never-give-up attitude.

While the phrase itself is inspiring, it is important to note that actual results depend on the actions taken and the specific context in which it is applied. Simply repeating the mantra without concrete strategies or plans may not be sufficient for achieving desired outcomes. It is crucial to combine the motivational mindset with practical steps, goal setting, and continuous effort to make progress.

In summary, "Trust Yourself to Be All In" encapsulates the essence of self-belief and unwavering commitment to personal growth and success. It serves as a powerful reminder to embrace one's abilities, trust their instincts, and wholeheartedly pursue their goals. However, it's important to complement this mindset with actionable steps and plans to turn inspiration into tangible results.
Wildflowertheorist
Currently Reading: Rise of the Savior
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wildflowertheorist.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by Wildflowertheorist »

It's an inspiring bittersweet memories. Thanks for the analysis of the book. I am kind of looking forward to read it in future.
"When you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."

-Friedrich Nietzsche
Jude Michael Uchechukwu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Jude Michael Uchechukwu »

Though not a fan of heartbreaking stories but since it's an inspiring one that regards to someone's life, I think I will give it a try some time in the future. It was a nice review.
Kigen Valarie
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Author: Amy K Collier
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kigen-valarie.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber
fav_author_id: 281506
2024 Reading Goal: 240
2024 Goal Completion: 10%

Post by Kigen Valarie »

The pandemic brought about some positive aspects. I'm glad it got her to write about her painful memories. Not only does the book explain her life experiences but it also helps others grow by learning from what happened to her.
Life will go whichever way. Changing it is up to a very powerful force :|

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”