Review of Off to College

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Christell Lindeque
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 266
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christell-lindeque.html
Latest Review: The Big Necesscaries by Beth Weiler

Review of Off to College

Post by Christell Lindeque »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Off to College" by Mary Ellen Smith.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Mary Ellen Smith's graphic novel Off to College includes illustrations about sending off one's kids to college. When your child is preparing for or attending college, do you worry about them making the correct decisions? Everything you could want to tell your kid, and more, is in this book. You might assume it's all about the negative things, but I guarantee you'll end up loving this book and the lessons it teaches your kid so much that you might even want to thank the author for writing it.

With just one statement added to each illustration, the author is able to convey precisely what they mean. The majority of these pictures depict various concerns and other feelings that parents or their children may experience while they prepare their child for college or while they are at college.

This book is great because it steers parents in the right direction when they are unsure of the potential outcomes of being overly lenient with their children. I liked that this book may help kids learn valuable lessons about making good decisions in many aspects of their lives, not just academic ones. I thought it was fascinating that the book recommended encouraging children to respond to adults in the same manner as their peers when at college.

What bothers me about this book is that some parents, who have no reason to be concerned about these issues, will use it as a tool for restrictive parenting. In my opinion, there should be a middle ground between being too strict and being too forgiving.

The only issue I have with the book is not with the book itself, but rather with certain readers who would use it to control their children. I rate this book 5 out of 5 stars because of this, and I won't dock any points because I think it can be helpful for certain parents as their children prepare for college. This book has been edited flawlessly; I didn't find any mistakes in it.

This is a great book for parents to get for their child who is about to start college.

Off to College
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
ViviVivid
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivivivid.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by ViviVivid »

With so much going on these days, teaching your children about rights and wrongs has become a necessity, if not a survival strategy to prevent them from going off-road. But too much restriction can also hinder their progress. I agree that there should be a middle way. Great review!
Okocha Victor
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okocha-victor.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger

Post by Okocha Victor »

No matter how much we try to be little this matter, college is a big deal. The uncertainties are just too much; will they join cults, do drugs, or even eat well? will they get into healthy or abusive relationships? Everything gets overloaded in our heads.
Ivana_5
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Ivana_5 »

Thisis book desing in college description why say us relationship between parents and children. Send child to right college and do is a goog decide, is a many questions for parents. Would you like a collage ask your child would his mean. This story telling us what children have on main with a college, carries and another thing. Parents have a strong control with children, but is mestake, because they have a freedom to say what they wont what aspect on future. This illustration say that parents must lisining wish and dreams your child.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”