Review of PBB-An Environmental Disaster

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Joule Mwendwa
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joule-mwendwa.html
Latest Review: A King Amongst Us by A.D. Lewis

Review of PBB-An Environmental Disaster

Post by Joule Mwendwa »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "PBB-An Environmental Disaster" by T.H. Corbett, MD, MPH.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

PBB: An Environmental Disaster: Michigan Chemical Poisoning Reverberates 50 Years Later, by T.H. Corbett, MD, MPH, is a global awakening book about the adverse effects of environmental pollution. The author accounts for the historic chemical pollution in Michigan, USA, about 50 years ago, but its effects are still felt today.

The nightmare started when a chemical company mistakenly shipped PBB (polybrominated biphenyl), a flame-retardant chemical, to a livestock feed mixing plant in Michigan instead of magnesium oxide, a dairy cow food supplement. What followed were blame games as the effects continued spreading to the point where it became a difficult-to-control disaster. The author walks us through the whole event’s timeline, the catastrophe’s results on humans and animals, and the actions taken to rectify the situation. Has justice ever been served to the affected victims?

What I liked more about this book was the author’s understanding that not all readers are familiar with chemicals and their effects. He gradually broke down the composition of chemicals and their relationship with the human body in such a friendly way that readers would absorb and feel the magnitude of not only the Michigan chemical’s effects but any chemical risks near them. Besides that, I also applaud the author for showing full comprehension of what he was talking about by giving detailed explanations that included real-life examples of people’s testimonials and citations of proven data to back up his book’s message.

Moreover, the author was very procedural and orderly in his book. Under no circumstances did I encounter complications in the book. I like how he tackled a topic at a time and included subheadings so as not to lose any readers. Additionally, the book serves as a reminder to always be cautious of activities in our environment. It also emphasizes the importance of possessing good listening skills. For example, the situation would have been managed if the chemical company officials had listened to experts like Frederick Halbert’s findings about the sudden deaths of animals.

The book was exceptionally edited, as I found only countable typos. I didn’t encounter any negatives or anything I disliked about the book. Therefore, I rate it 5 out of 5 stars. With the rise of industrialization, many toxic chemicals are emitted into the air, water, and soil. The effects of these chemicals are what the author warns about in his book. As a result, I recommend this book to individuals working for or close to any waste-emitting firms.

PBB-An Environmental Disaster
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall. -Nelson Mandela
Okocha Victor
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okocha-victor.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger

Post by Okocha Victor »

Environmental pollutions are one of the things that are not talked about enough in this our present-day times. Why would you eat something and dump the wrap on the floor and things like that, thereby clogging our drainage systems that, in turn, ruin the foundations of many things.
Ivana_5
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Ivana_5 »

PBB is the begaster catastrophic for environmental. This is a result chemical pollutants of Chemical Industry per 50 years last ago and described bead effect on nutur and animals. This is educated story why telling us how is demage when we anprotected environment. Weather is bead and sky is a dark and many people and animals sick and dead because of chemical pollutants.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”