Review of So You Have a Disease

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ebele Ekelobi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebele-ekelobi.html
Latest Review: My Life as a Cryptocurrency by April Lee

Review of So You Have a Disease

Post by Ebele Ekelobi »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "So You Have a Disease" by Beth Praed.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

In So You Have a Disease, Beth Praed tries to bring hope and succour to those battling serious diseases and chronic illnesses. Beth is currently battling multiple sclerosis, which according to her doctor, is attacking her brain and making it resemble Swiss cheese. She has also been told by her doctor that the disease will eventually kill her. This illness has turned her into a shadow of the person she used to be, but she remains strong and unwavering in her faith in God. This book contains the rationale for her spiritual strength despite her situation. This devotional also contains snippets of various people in the author's life. She wrote about her children, friends, her mother's health, her father's death, and her health and Christian life, amongst other topics. She also gave words of encouragement to people going through situations similar to hers.

I like the general theme of this book. It truly focused on giving hope to those in need of it. Battling chronic illnesses and terminal diseases can be really depressing and can make the victim feel alone, but So You Have a Disease is a sure guide through such tough times. The author navigated the emotions in the book carefully. I loved that she made the book so concise; readers battling these diseases wouldn't want to read long chapters. There are no errors in the book, and I really commend the editors for that. The Bible verses included in each division of the book will be truly helpful to Christian readers.

I did not like the fact that the book did not seem well arranged. It looked like a compilation of randomly related stories from the author's life. It would have had a better outlook if the chapters had been arranged better.

I give this book a rating of 4 out of 5 stars. It was a good read and was exceptionally well edited, but I did not really appreciate its arrangement, and that's the reason for the deducted star.

I recommend this wonderful guidebook to everyone out there in need of some hope and encouragement, notwithstanding their situations. Also, this book is for those going through illnesses that may seem too much to handle. You are not alone in that fight.

So You Have a Disease
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

Though Beth's illness is far from mine. It is still hard to imagine someone battling a terminal illness. I have no idea what sclerosis feels like but I know how hard bearing illness is. Indeed, we will fight. "You are not alone" as the reviewer, Evans said. Thanks for this engaging review, Evans!
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”