Review of The Basement of Child Abuse

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Obc Contentor
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-obc-contentor.html
Latest Review: Heart and Harmony: Poetic Reflections on Legendary Singers by Archie Luper

Review of The Basement of Child Abuse

Post by Obc Contentor »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Basement of Child Abuse" by Calanda J Owens.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Calanda J. Owens, during her formative years, endured harsh and unjust treatment from her mother and siblings. She was relegated to living in the basement, forced to sleep on the cold, bare floor, all in an effort to prevent her from accessing the main apartment, where food was available. In her adult life, she continues to be haunted by the regret of not understanding why she was subjected to such treatment by those from whom she expected unconditional love. Nightmares plague her, immersing her back into those hellish days. Although her husband, Tim, played a crucial role in bringing happiness into her life, the past continues to cast its shadow. As a result, she decided to write a book titled The Basement of Child Abuse.

The Basement of Child Abuse by Calanda J. Owens is a non-fiction work that recounts the author's childhood experiences characterized by abusive and violent treatment from her mother, Jessica, and her siblings. Through this book, Calanda seeks to escape the realm of nightmares and heal the wounds inflicted upon her heart by her tumultuous past.

There is not a single aspect of this poignant book that fails to captivate. From beginning to end, I was fully engrossed. The author's tone and the organization of her thoughts ensure that the book fulfills its intended purpose. While reading, I felt that the author took great care in expressing her emotions without ambiguity or misinformation. The text effectively conveys an outpouring of emotions from a wounded heart. Right from the "Dedication" section, where she explains the book's content, I was deeply moved by her past circumstances. In fact, her account reminds me of mothers I have witnessed inflicting wickedness and hatred upon their children. Specifically, I recalled an encounter with a mother who callously poured powdered pepper into her child's eyes, evoking a heightened sense of empathy and leading me to ponder the same question posed by Calanda in her book: Why would a mother harbor such intense hatred towards her own daughter and subject her to such cruelty? The book also prompted me to reflect on my own childhood and the part of my life transitioning into adulthood that, although not deprived of food like Calanda, was marked by mistreatment akin to abuse. I have experienced being belittled and ridiculed by my mother on multiple occasions, which motivated me to distance myself from her for a while and begin embracing the belief I have in myself.

What I admire most about this book is its ability to evoke deep emotions within me. Additionally, the author skillfully employs a jovial tone in certain parts of the narrative, particularly when describing the love she showered upon her children and how her husband became the source of her happiness in life.

I only came across a single typo in the book, indicating professional editing. The book dives straight into the details of her life without unnecessary fillers, accounting for its brevity. According to the author, the purpose of the book is to instill hope and illuminate the path for any child or adult enduring abusive treatment or domestic violence, empowering them to break free and pursue the life they envision for themselves; therefore, I wholeheartedly recommend it to such an audience out there. If you doubt the existence of such harsh treatment, this book is for you, as it will enlighten you through Calanda's account. Due to its professional editing and the absence of any flaws, I would rate it 5 out of 5 stars.

The Basement of Child Abuse
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Sophia Damilola Ajayi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sophia-d-ajayi.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Sophia Damilola Ajayi »

What a traumatizing experience for Calandra. It becomes deeply painful when we are betrayed by the people we love most in our lives. Imagine trying to fight the trauma of such a childhood. I'm glad she was able to write a book on it. I believe it will be a beacon of hope to many who are almost in a similar situation.
Jimmy Cyprian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jimmy-cyprian.html
Latest Review: VROOM! Barry, Kari and the Power Boost! by William G Wilberforce III

Post by Jimmy Cyprian »

It's commendable how Calandra is able to write about her past traumas like that. It really takes a lot of bravery. Thanks for your review.
Kint Golden
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kint-golden.html
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud

Post by Kint Golden »

I must admit that this a good review, it best describes the effect of child abuse.
As I read further I began to see how the author's emotion was tempered by this same child abuse at a tender age.
The choice of words utilized is admirable, and I enjoyed the narrative.
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
Prince Oyedeji Oyeleke Jayeola
Currently Reading: Fireproof Happiness
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prince-oyedeji-oyeleke-jayeola.html
Latest Review: The Targeted Fictional Trilogy by DJ Chris

Post by Prince Oyedeji Oyeleke Jayeola »

I recently read a book on physical abuse and assault which gave me the picture of those being assaulted. But, why wouid her mother and siblings all hate her. Welldone
Mercy Deen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercy-deen.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Mercy Deen »

There is a question here that needs one to quickly desire to unravel and answer. I can't just imagine why her own family could hate her so much. This is going to be a lot of emotional reading.
Omobolanle Shittu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-omobolanle-shittu.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Omobolanle Shittu »

Wow, what an incredible book. I hope the author was able to find a form of relief writing about her experience. No child ought to go through all she went through at the hands of those who should have been there for her being her immediate family.
Robert Andrew
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-robert-andrew.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by Robert Andrew »

It's heartening to hear that her husband, Tim, played a crucial role in bringing happiness into her life, but the past's lingering shadow continues to affect her. The decision to write a book about her experiences seems like a powerful and therapeutic endeavor to confront her past, heal her wounds, and escape the realm of nightmares.
Boye Emmanuel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-boye-emmanuel.html
Latest Review: Welcome to Dreamland by Rasa Ponce

Post by Boye Emmanuel »

Calenda's childhood experience isn't a palatable one. But, I am glad she lived through it and can use her experience as guide for another. Welldone.
Veronica Hunter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-veronica-hunter.html
Latest Review: The Reapers Dance by Dr. Ravi R Iyer

Post by Veronica Hunter »

The title alone, 'The Basement of Child Abuse' by Calanda J. Owens, speaks volumes about the gravity of the author's experiences. It's clear that this non-fiction work delves deep into the scars left by childhood abuse. An important narrative that sheds light on the importance of healing and resilience.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”