Review of Peabody Girl Dog-Gone Good

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Review of Peabody Girl Dog-Gone Good

Post by MsH2k »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Peabody Girl Dog-Gone Good" by Nancy LeBaron-Kiley.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Peabody Girl Dog-Gone Good is a collection of 15 animal-rescue stories told by Nancy LeBaron-Kiley, the dogcatcher of Peabody, Massachusetts. This is the second and last book of her dogcatcher tales. Although I have not read the first book of the series, the stories in this installation are self-contained.

I will admit I had trouble understanding the title. I got the gist of it but felt the urge to add words. One circumlocutory, southern-style alternative that repeatedly came to mind was Peabody Girl Done Gone and Done Dog-Gone Good. Actually, her choice is not so bad after all. After looking more closely at the cover, I believe the title may have been the heading of a newspaper article featuring the author. The comfortable stroll of LeBaron-Kiley and her dog reflects her respect for her canine companion and inherent authority in dealing with animals. The dog appears happy, healthy, and secure, and the author’s relaxed but alert body language is what one would expect from a seasoned animal control officer.

I most appreciated that the author stayed true to the topic. Each tale in this 60-page read introduced the problem the animals—or humans—faced, her approach to tackling the issue, and the resolution. I was often wrong in my expected outcome: pleasantly surprised that the animals survived or heartbroken that they succumbed to the abuse they had endured before the dogcatcher arrived. Besides rescuing dogs, the author responded to calls involving bats, horses, turtles, ferrets, and other creatures. I learned a few interesting facts along the way; for example, I did not know that ferrets changed colors with the change in seasons.

LeBaron-Kiley introduced the book by stating she would share the stories as if she were talking to the reader. She kept that promise. The stories were conversationally written, and I could imagine her sitting across from me in her living room or at a coffee shop as she told these incidents. I tried to conjure up my best Massachusetts dialect based on the people I have met from that state—she probably sounds nothing like the blend of accents echoing in my mind. There was a downside to the writing style, however, in that the storytelling contained implied dialog and subtle shifts in tense that are common in speech but require additional focus when reading a story told in the same voice. An example was the shift in tense within a sentence, as shown here: “I was walking down the hall, and here comes the Chief.” Other cases included long sentences that conveyed the action in the story but were hard to read and had punctuation errors primarily because of their length.

These minor issues resulted in the deduction of a star, but they did not affect my overall reading satisfaction. I rate Peabody Girl Dog-Gone Good 4 out of 5 stars. I recommend this absorbing set of stories to animal lovers and readers who enjoy following the adventures of a real-life heroine. The author is passionate about her work and does a doggone good job.

Peabody Girl Dog-Gone Good
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

I wish the title is easier to read than this actual one. I wish it will be revised to sound harmonious. I love how you stated your opinions of the book, Donna. I always enjoy your writing; always fair!
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe
Omneya Shakeep
Favorite Book: Catching Genesis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-omneya-shakeep.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin

Post by Omneya Shakeep »

This book sounds like a good light read, but I think the title is a mouthful. Even after your thoroughly detailed review, I still didn't grasp its meaning. I agree with you that the cover does look like a picture from a newspaper article, and I agree with you. Thanks for this amazingly analysed review!
"Those who feel grateful, and are eternally generous, experience life at its richest."
Rob White.
MsH2k
Currently Reading:

Post by MsH2k »

Hazel Mae Bagarinao wrote: 15 May 2023, 17:00 I wish the title is easier to read than this actual one. I wish it will be revised to sound harmonious. I love how you stated your opinions of the book, Donna. I always enjoy your writing; always fair!
Thanks as always for your visit, Hazel Mae. I appreciate your taking the time to comment! :greetings-waveyellow:
Rosa Parks
MsH2k
Currently Reading:

Post by MsH2k »

Omneya Shakeep wrote: 16 May 2023, 01:33 This book sounds like a good light read, but I think the title is a mouthful. Even after your thoroughly detailed review, I still didn't grasp its meaning. I agree with you that the cover does look like a picture from a newspaper article, and I agree with you. Thanks for this amazingly analysed review!
At least the author's title was not as wordy as my awful alternative. :D
Thank you for your visit and your comment!
Rosa Parks
Kavita Shah
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

I have watched an animated movie called Mr. Peabody & Sherman, and the title specified Peabody Girl Dog-Gone Good, so I imagined Mr Peabody as a girl dog. The conversational style really appeals to me. The rescue story and some unfortunate cases will be an informative read. Thank you for the clear and detailed review Donna!
Nisha DSouza
Favorite Book: In It Together
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 158
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-dsouza.html
Latest Review: Isazisi:The Book by Bongani Yona

Post by Nisha DSouza »

The title and the cover definitely need some major upgradation. But the author's job is a commendable one. Thank you for the detailed analysis, Donna.
Nisha
Official Reviewer Representative

"There are two ways to live: you can live as if nothing is a miracle; you can live as if everything is a miracle." ~ Albert Einstein
Fareed Regal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fareed-regal.html
Latest Review: In Plain Sight by Susan Mallett

Post by Fareed Regal »

This is a very interesting review for a non-American to read. Seems the life of a dog catcher is not as monotonous as I thought it to be. I enjoyed your comments and analysis. As usual, a great review!
Rwill0988
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 499
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rwill0988.html
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg

Post by Rwill0988 »

I like that she tells the reader to expect conversational tone in the stories. As you said, it makes it a bit more challenging as we talk differently than we write but at least you are prepared for it. Enjoyed your review. Unsure if I'll add this to my read list. Would you say the overall tone was hopeful? Think reading a story where abused animals died and suffered would be very challenging.
“Give me a man or woman who has read a thousand books and you give me an interesting companion. Give me a man or woman who has read perhaps three and you give me a very dangerous enemy indeed.” ~ The Witching Hour by Anne Rice
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg
Sarah Zain
Favorite Book: Wutheing heights
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-zain.html
Latest Review: The Artificial Intelligence Rights and Responsibilities Act” by Alton Booth

Post by Sarah Zain »

I actually still didn't get the title I even took a while to read it . Your review gives an honest perspective of the book and I appreciated that.
Life is hard on its own so let's make it easier for each other if we could.
MsH2k
Currently Reading:

Post by MsH2k »

Kavita Shah wrote: 17 May 2023, 00:16 I have watched an animated movie called Mr. Peabody & Sherman, and the title specified Peabody Girl Dog-Gone Good, so I imagined Mr Peabody as a girl dog. The conversational style really appeals to me. The rescue story and some unfortunate cases will be an informative read. Thank you for the clear and detailed review Donna!
Oh my, Kavita, I am going to date myself here, but when you mentioned Mr. Peabody & Sherman, I thought of the characters from the animated Rocky & Bullwinkle Show I watched in the '60s. Then I Googled it and saw they released a movie featuring them in this century. :lol2: The rescue stories in this book are both exciting and informative.

Thank you for your visit and your comment!
Rosa Parks
MsH2k
Currently Reading:

Post by MsH2k »

Nisha DSouza wrote: 17 May 2023, 02:54 The title and the cover definitely need some major upgradation. But the author's job is a commendable one. Thank you for the detailed analysis, Donna.
The title is a little quirky, but I loved the cover, especially if it is actually from a newspaper clipping. It's a clever way to reuse good press. 📰

Thank you for stopping by, Nisha!
Rosa Parks
MsH2k
Currently Reading:

Post by MsH2k »

Fareed Regal wrote: 17 May 2023, 05:49 This is a very interesting review for a non-American to read. Seems the life of a dog catcher is not as monotonous as I thought it to be. I enjoyed your comments and analysis. As usual, a great review!
As a kid, I remembered being afraid of the dogcatcher--more afraid of them than the stray dogs running through the streets. But the author is a kind and caring animal lover, and it is clear from the stories that she wants the best for all parties concerned.

Thank you for stopping by, Fareed. I always appreciate your visits.
Rosa Parks
MsH2k
Currently Reading:

Post by MsH2k »

Rwill0988 wrote: 18 May 2023, 12:35 I like that she tells the reader to expect conversational tone in the stories. As you said, it makes it a bit more challenging as we talk differently than we write but at least you are prepared for it. Enjoyed your review. Unsure if I'll add this to my read list. Would you say the overall tone was hopeful? Think reading a story where abused animals died and suffered would be very challenging.
The tone was hopeful overall. At the very least, the author rescued animals from less than desirable situations. She found good homes for many of them--some even became her pets. And the book is informative. For instance, I now know about Podengo dogs. :dog:

Thank you for your visit and your comment.
Rosa Parks
MsH2k
Currently Reading:

Post by MsH2k »

Sarah Zain wrote: 18 May 2023, 16:37 I actually still didn't get the title I even took a while to read it . Your review gives an honest perspective of the book and I appreciated that.
If cover is from a newspaper article📰, perhaps the wording makes more sense to the locals. I kept reparsing the title in my mind while I read the book, but it wasn't distracting. The stories were informative and diverse.

Thank you for your comment, Sarah.
Rosa Parks

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”