Review of The Parrot's Perch

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Medina Fedrick
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-medina-fedrick.html
Latest Review: Across the Kentucky Color Line by Lee Durham Stone

Review of The Parrot's Perch

Post by Medina Fedrick »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Parrot's Perch" by Karen Keilt.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The Parrot's Perch by Karen Keilt is a memoir about the life of the author and what she had to endure. She got an email from Ms. Glenda Mezarobba, a political scientist and investigator for the Brazilian National Truth Commission, with an invitation to narrate her experience with the Brazilian police 37 years ago. She accepted the invitation with the hope of putting an end to the injustice and corrupt acts of the Brazilian government authorities and poured out her heart in narrating her story, from her childhood experience with her family—especially with her dad because of his hostility towards her, her brother, and their mother—to her life during and after her first marriage. 

After getting married to Rick, his brother Rex, who was a drug dealer, lived with them, which made life uncomfortable for them. The day he left, after Henri came searching his room, by the wee hours of the morning, the police stormed their house in search of drugs, which they found stacked in a bag, and they got arrested. This marked the beginning of a heart-wrenching story. Grab a copy to find out what she suffered in jail and how she survived.

I admire the author's strength in not only enduring the suffering she was put through but also in sharing her story. It takes only courage to narrate her horrid experiences with so many vivid details. Her descriptions of her experiences were in-depth and lucid, and they made me cringe at times with emotions because of how horribly she and her first husband, Rick, were treated. I learned a lot from her experiences and the decisions she made to survive. One would be the part where she stood up to her father, her family, and society by leaving her husband and the country. Though there were so many uncertainties and she lacked the skills to stay on her own and raise a child, she still proceeded with her plans and learned to fend for herself. There is also a lesson here, which is that a lack of skills is no reason to quit. Once you make the decision, you can learn the skills.

I found nothing to dislike about this book; the story was narrated from the first person's point of view, which is the author's. Although I heard some parts of her husband's experience, it was only the one with her present. And it was disheartening that they could not share or talk about what they experienced after the ordeal; I believe this is the reason why they separated. I would have loved to hear about her husband's part of the ordeal because I believe he too must have gone through a lot for it to have changed him that much and disrupted their marriage.

I would rate this book five out of five stars because it was an engrossing read, and as I said earlier, I disliked nothing about this book. Furthermore, I discovered some errors, but not enough to deduct a star while reading, which indicates that this book was professionally edited. Fans of non-fiction and memoirs would enjoy this book. Also, some descriptions were gruesome, and I would recommend this book to those who don't find this and the use of strong language unsettling.

The Parrot's Perch
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
rkt11
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by rkt11 »

The Parrot's Perch" is a compelling memoir that takes the reader on a journey through the author's tumultuous life. With honesty and vulnerability, Karen Keilt tells a powerful story of survival, resilience, and the strength of the human spirit.
Domeseo Camus Meda
Currently Reading: The Stealthy Viral Pimpernel
Bookshelf Size: 195
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-domeseo-camus-meda.html
Latest Review: The Beautiful Business by Steven Morris

Post by Domeseo Camus Meda »

A MEMORY BY KAREN KEILT WHERE SHE TALKS ABOUT HER DIFFICULT FAMILY LIFE, HER EXPERIENCE WITH THE BRAZILIAN POLICE 37 YEARS AGO, INJUSTICE, CORRUPTION OF THE BRAZILIAN AUTHORITIES...
A BOOK FOR FANS OF NON FICTION AND MEMORIES.GOOD REVIEW
Jenifer Pauline J
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Jenifer Pauline J »

Hey Medina Fedrick,

I recently came across your review of "The Parrot's Perch" by Karen Keilt, and I couldn't agree more with your sentiments about this extraordinary book. As an avid reader, I was captivated by the story, and I believe Jenifer Pauline J would undoubtedly share the same enthusiasm.

"The Parrot's Perch" takes readers on an unforgettable journey, as Karen Keilt fearlessly opens up about her harrowing experiences of imprisonment and torture in Brazil during the military dictatorship. Her resilience and determination to survive against unimaginable odds are truly inspiring.

What struck me most was Keilt's ability to transform her painful memories into a beautifully crafted narrative. Her vivid descriptions transported me to the Brazilian landscapes, allowing me to feel the tension, despair, and hope that permeated her every word. Keilt's prose is so powerful that it tugs at your heartstrings, evoking a range of emotions from anger and fear to compassion and ultimately, awe.

Furthermore, "The Parrot's Perch" delves deep into themes of justice, human rights, and the indomitable spirit of the human soul. Keilt's unwavering commitment to seeking justice for herself and countless others is a testament to her courage and determination. Her story serves as a powerful reminder of the importance of speaking out against injustice, no matter how daunting the circumstances may be.

I highly recommend diving into "The Parrot's Perch." It is a profoundly moving memoir that will leave an indelible mark on your heart and mind. Prepare to be mesmerized by Keilt's storytelling prowess and her ability to turn tragedy into triumph.

Thank you, Medina Fedrick, for shedding light on this exceptional book and allowing me to share my enthusiasm. Let us join hands in spreading the word about "The Parrot's Perch" so that more readers can be touched by Karen Keilt's remarkable journey of resilience and hope.

Happy reading!

Warm regards,
Jenifer Pauline J
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

The heart-wrenching story of the author is what I am looking forward to knowing. As she was invited to narrate her experience for the Brazilian National Truth Commission, it was intriguing to know how she survived in jail and how she manage to escape from the mishap. Congratulations to the author on BOTD!
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe
Jacob Sunday Mamman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jacob-sunday-mamman.html
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud

Post by Jacob Sunday Mamman »

This true story is masterfully written, drawing you right into it. As Karen travels through this gruesome landscape of injustice and abuse, you are there with her. Reading this engrossing tale will cause you to lose track of time. A must-read.
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
Meghan Soderholm
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: The Smartest Person in the Room
Currently Reading: Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 10605
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meghan-soderholm.html
Latest Review: A God-Balanced Life by James Puckett Sr.
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Meghan Soderholm »

Your Review was honest and enticing. This is a story of resilience unlike any other. Your review piqued my interest.
I am looking forward to reading the book and learning more.
“Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift and that is why we call it the present.” - Eleanor Roosevelt
Margi zuu202
Favorite Author: Jack Winnick
Favorite Book: Living in Color
Currently Reading: Water Bound (Sisters of the Heart, #1)
Bookshelf Size: 77953
fav_author_id: 77547
2024 Reading Goal: 1000
2024 Goal Completion: 553%

Post by Margi zuu202 »

Book of the day BOTD is nonfiction memoir of Karen at age six she was invited to testify at Brazilian national truth commission at UN In new York her previous life she had kept for over 37 yrs with hope of helping raise awareness about human violation Rights in Brazil she was squished over reliving the horrific events of her youth ,the struggle, suffering and survival ,the dark oligarchy in Brazil, corruption, crime and military interface from the Brazilian upper class lifestyle The book was well written and reviewed Sad touching story
Last edited by Margi zuu202 on 19 May 2023, 08:03, edited 1 time in total.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Time Before Time
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: All the Targets by Noah Bond
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I can't imagine how awful it must be to be imprisoned for something that you didn't do, and to be treated so horribly. Congratulations on BOTD!
Olga Markova
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The Postscript Murders
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olga-markova.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books WAIT A MINUTE! (An Illustrated Novella) by Steve William Laible

Post by Olga Markova »

I agree with the review that this is a well-written memoir deserving of the full stars but the graphic descriptions of verbal and physical abuse the reviewer and I came across in the book may offend some readers. Sampling it, I too felt disheartened by the episodes of Karen's dad's enraged violence.
Peter BorteyOpintan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peter-borteyopintan.html
Latest Review: This May Be Difficult to Read by Claire Rubman

Post by Peter BorteyOpintan »

Karen Keilt's memoir, The Parrot's Perch, showcases her resilience and courage as she shares her harrowing experiences with injustice and corruption in Brazil.
Alida Spies
Currently Reading: 30th Century: Escape (First Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 238
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alida-spies.html
Latest Review: The DrugTech Trilogy by Marcel Victor Sahade
2024 Reading Goal: 100
2024 Goal Completion: 42%

Post by Alida Spies »

Thank you for an excellent review!

I find the courage that the author displayed to appear in front of the UN commission and also to write this memoir, very admirable. Most people would just try to forget the bad things in their past and move on with their lives. Although growing up as a privileged child the author always had fears, but she managed to overcome it.
Prodigy5
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prodigy5.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Prodigy5 »

Writing about one's experience can be daunting, especially when it could be something difficult to talk about. That only goes to show how brave the person must be. This is a well-written review.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Ripsons
Bookshelf Size: 416
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 23%

Post by NetMassimo »

A memoir going back to dark times during the dictatorship in Brazil, when the author was among the victims of heinous crimes perpetrated by the regime against many of its people. Reliving those terrible experiences must have been really hard but enabled her to not be a victim anymore. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Jorge Leon Salazar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jorge-leon-salazar.html
Latest Review: Mrs Geddes and other stories by Saman Mahanama Dissanayake

Post by Jorge Leon Salazar »

This memoir seems engrossing since the author candidly narrates the experiences she endured in Brazil. The treatment she and her first husband received in jail must have been very cruel. I believe this story will appeal to fans of nonfiction and memoirs.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”