Review of The Parrot's Perch

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Justine Ocsebio
Currently Reading: Dancing Under The Stars
Bookshelf Size: 241
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-justine-ocsebio.html
Latest Review: Philosophy from the Mud by Erik Quisling

Re: Review of The Parrot's Perch

Post by Justine Ocsebio »

A memoir that chronicles the author's life during the dictatorship in Brazil. It's a story of relience and courage, so this is going to be an inspiring read for everyone.
Ailakhu Yusau Aizhebiomon
Currently Reading: Purges of the Soul
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ailakhu-yusau-aizhebiomon.html
Latest Review: Advanced Lotto Rotation System by Joseph Z Vlasic

Post by Ailakhu Yusau Aizhebiomon »

Today's book of the day is a memoir of Karen Keilt. The book told the author's experience in her marriage and how she separated from her and had to fend for herself. It's a pathetic story altogether. Congrats on being the #BOTD!
Stella Nicholas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stella-nicholas.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Stella Nicholas »

I would have preferred that the author wouldn't have accommodated Rex since she already knows he was a drug dealer. I know Rick may likely divorce her after this tragic event. Nice review. Congratulations on BOTD.
Fabbie Woods
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fabbie-woods.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Fabbie Woods »

Thank you for your review of The Parrot's Perch. I agree with you that it is an engrossing and powerful read. Karen Keilt's story is one of strength, courage, and resilience, and it is an inspiration to anyone who has ever faced adversity.
Words seduce and pages ignite passion. Let's get lost in the tantalizing world of literature together.
Nicholas Bush
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 177
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicholas-bush.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Nicholas Bush »

It would be nice to find out how Karen was able to survive in the prison by reading this interesting book. Nice review by the way, Congrats on BOTD.
Sharill Rasowo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharill-rasowo.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Sharill Rasowo »

Karen Keilt's story of wrongful imprisonment and the injustice and corrupt acts of the Brazilian government authorities sounds intriguing. I am curious to see how she overcame all these trials. Congratulations on BOTD.
Nletachi Otuokere
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nletachi-otuokere.html
Latest Review: Nobody To Me That The Road Would Be Easy by Floyd Thompkins

Post by Nletachi Otuokere »

This true story has been expertly written to pull you straight in. You are there with Karen as she traverses this horrific environment of wrongdoing and abuse. You'll find yourself losing track of time as you read this captivating story. A must read.
Atieno Magero
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-atieno-magero.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books WAIT A MINUTE! (An Illustrated Novella) by Steve William Laible

Post by Atieno Magero »

The Parrot's Perch seems like a great memoir. I would like to read the authors life and find out how she and her husband overcame the obstacles they faced with the arrest. The cover of the book is quite eye catching. Congratulations on making book of the day!
Gift Chidex
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 224
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gift-chidex.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited

Post by Gift Chidex »

The hardest part of life if to pay for crime you did not commit. I would love to know what became of karen. Congrats on your BOTD.
Naghma Qureshi
Currently Reading: The Whole-Brain Child
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naghma-qureshi.html
Latest Review: Odonata The Flying Jewel of Maiden Grass Pond by Barbara Gervais Ciancimino

Post by Naghma Qureshi »

A very interesting, and detailed review. Just by reading the review I got goosebumps. I believe this book is definitely worth a read. Thank you for this well-written review.
Medina Fedrick
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-medina-fedrick.html
Latest Review: Across the Kentucky Color Line by Lee Durham Stone

Post by Medina Fedrick »

Jenifer Pauline J wrote: 19 May 2023, 06:10 Hey Medina Fedrick,

I recently came across your review of "The Parrot's Perch" by Karen Keilt, and I couldn't agree more with your sentiments about this extraordinary book. As an avid reader, I was captivated by the story, and I believe Jenifer Pauline J would undoubtedly share the same enthusiasm.

"The Parrot's Perch" takes readers on an unforgettable journey, as Karen Keilt fearlessly opens up about her harrowing experiences of imprisonment and torture in Brazil during the military dictatorship. Her resilience and determination to survive against unimaginable odds are truly inspiring.

What struck me most was Keilt's ability to transform her painful memories into a beautifully crafted narrative. Her vivid descriptions transported me to the Brazilian landscapes, allowing me to feel the tension, despair, and hope that permeated her every word. Keilt's prose is so powerful that it tugs at your heartstrings, evoking a range of emotions from anger and fear to compassion and ultimately, awe.

Furthermore, "The Parrot's Perch" delves deep into themes of justice, human rights, and the indomitable spirit of the human soul. Keilt's unwavering commitment to seeking justice for herself and countless others is a testament to her courage and determination. Her story serves as a powerful reminder of the importance of speaking out against injustice, no matter how daunting the circumstances may be.

I highly recommend diving into "The Parrot's Perch." It is a profoundly moving memoir that will leave an indelible mark on your heart and mind. Prepare to be mesmerized by Keilt's storytelling prowess and her ability to turn tragedy into triumph.

Thank you, Medina Fedrick, for shedding light on this exceptional book and allowing me to share my enthusiasm. Let us join hands in spreading the word about "The Parrot's Perch" so that more readers can be touched by Karen Keilt's remarkable journey of resilience and hope.

Happy reading!

Warm regards,
Jenifer Pauline J
Thanks, Jenifer.
Keilt's experience was terrifying but in all, she didn't let it define or limit her and that is what I love the most about.
Ntokozo Joy Ndlovu
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ntokozo-joy-ndlovu.html
Latest Review: The MISOGI Method by Jody B. Miller
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Ntokozo Joy Ndlovu »

With the recent rise in official corruption all around the world, a book about tackling the issue in one of the world's most corrupt countries is sure to be an interesting read. Well done on the review.
"All I can do is fight, and I intend to. After all, giving up on the process is giving up on the result."
Medina Fedrick
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-medina-fedrick.html
Latest Review: Across the Kentucky Color Line by Lee Durham Stone

Post by Medina Fedrick »

Jenifer Pauline J wrote: 19 May 2023, 06:10 Hey Medina Fedrick,

I recently came across your review of "The Parrot's Perch" by Karen Keilt, and I couldn't agree more with your sentiments about this extraordinary book. As an avid reader, I was captivated by the story, and I believe Jenifer Pauline J would undoubtedly share the same enthusiasm.

"The Parrot's Perch" takes readers on an unforgettable journey, as Karen Keilt fearlessly opens up about her harrowing experiences of imprisonment and torture in Brazil during the military dictatorship. Her resilience and determination to survive against unimaginable odds are truly inspiring.

What struck me most was Keilt's ability to transform her painful memories into a beautifully crafted narrative. Her vivid descriptions transported me to the Brazilian landscapes, allowing me to feel the tension, despair, and hope that permeated her every word. Keilt's prose is so powerful that it tugs at your heartstrings, evoking a range of emotions from anger and fear to compassion and ultimately, awe.

Furthermore, "The Parrot's Perch" delves deep into themes of justice, human rights, and the indomitable spirit of the human soul. Keilt's unwavering commitment to seeking justice for herself and countless others is a testament to her courage and determination. Her story serves as a powerful reminder of the importance of speaking out against injustice, no matter how daunting the circumstances may be.

I highly recommend diving into "The Parrot's Perch." It is a profoundly moving memoir that will leave an indelible mark on your heart and mind. Prepare to be mesmerized by Keilt's storytelling prowess and her ability to turn tragedy into triumph.

Thank you, Medina Fedrick, for shedding light on this exceptional book and allowing me to share my enthusiasm. Let us join hands in spreading the word about "The Parrot's Perch" so that more readers can be touched by Karen Keilt's remarkable journey of resilience and hope.

Happy reading!

Warm regards,
Jenifer Pauline J
Thanks, Jenifer.
Keilt's experience was terrifying but in all, she didn't let it define or limit her and that is what I love the most about.
Ekta Kumari
Favorite Book: Rebecca
Currently Reading: Kafka On The Shore
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekta-kumari.html
Latest Review: Humanity Must Survive the 21st Century by Theodore Vornicu
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Ekta Kumari »

This is definitely a compelling story depicting the author's ordeal. The predominant themes of injustice and survival are sure to make for an inspirational read. Thank you for the thorough analysis.
"Words dazzle and deceive because they are mimed by the face. But black words on a white page are the soul laid bare."

-Guy de Maupassant
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

Kudos to the author not only for staying resilient in the face of adversities but also for sharing her story. Thanks for the awesome review!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”