Review of Where You Are & How To Get There

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
abstactlemon
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emmanuel-onwuanaku.html
Latest Review: Mindsponge Theory by Quan-Hoang Vuong

Review of Where You Are & How To Get There

Post by abstactlemon »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Where You Are & How To Get There" by Nolan Ryan Recker.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Where You Are & How To Get There by Nolan Ryan Recker is a book about finding yourself, at least on the surface. It goes so much deeper than that. The book starts off from a different perspective that talks about Recker himself and sets your expectations for the entire book. Recker then goes on to fulfill those expectations over numerous chapters and various subtopics, all of them geared toward answering the question: where are you? Recker teaches the power of questions, how to ask them, and the important ones that you can ask.

I really enjoyed Recker’s style of writing. I could analyze why and talk about it in technical terms, but I think what it ultimately boils down to is that it feels like a conversation with a friend when you read this book. It has a way of reeling you in and making you interact with its content, which is something I think a lot of writers can learn from.

As for the content of the book, Recker seemed to have found the perfect blend between philosophy, self-improvement, and religion. “Ayeka” is the driving factor behind this book, and the Hebrew word means, “Where are you?” The sentiment permeates the entire piece and is explored through different lenses. I like how Recker doesn’t shy away from asking deep questions concerning how we find purpose, our views on the world, and our relationship with the Creator. My favorite chapter was “Personality,” which delves into the difference between who we are and the way we are, which is something I never thought about before.

The book also manages to talk about religion without overwhelming you with it. In fact, I think Recker goes out of his way to make sure he doesn’t alienate that part of his audience while still being able to communicate all of his points effectively. He does go deeper into those themes and topics in later chapters, but it still doesn’t feel like it’s being forced down your throat. Recker’s approach involves explaining his perspective to you and then letting you glean your own thoughts and conclusions from that, which is something I respect.

I really can’t think of anything I disliked about this book. There were a few minor errors, but they weren’t nearly enough to deter me from giving it 4 out of 4 stars. It was a fascinating and thought-provoking read that made me want to pick up something else by Recker. That being said, I recommend this to people who feel lost, less than, and also those struggling to find their purpose. I think picking this book up is a step in the right direction.

Where You Are & How To Get There
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
it is what it is ....
RonnyCollins27
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: complex PTSD Workbook
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ronnycollins27.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by RonnyCollins27 »

I am 100% for self help books that allow us and encourage us to look deeper into who we are. The review was done with a very professional and in-depth tone, encouraging me to put this one on my shelf for future reading. The review makes the book sound like it can lift a person up; so many could benefit from this.
Azuka Jessica
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azuka-jessica.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Azuka Jessica »

I think this book is very deep and addresses deep subjects. I love the book's title but I don't think that I am cut out for its contents. Thanks to the reviewer for a well detailed review.
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

It sounds like this is an excellent book for helping people turn their lives around and find their purpose in the world. I really appreciate your informative review. Well done!
Christabel Benson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christabel-benson.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Christabel Benson »

This is an interesting book, the author was trying to help people to know their goals in life nice review.
Kavita Shah
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

I really like where the book is leading to. Asking is okay and also possible suggestions for questions. I would love to read it. Thank you for the insightful review!
Rowan The-First
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 100
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rowan-the-first.html
Latest Review: LaBlance Fish Tales Two by Peter F LaBlance
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Rowan The-First »

I believe this book is excellent for readers of this genre but for me I don't enjoy such genres. Thanks for your thorough review.
What's the reason for your creation, Who really created you and why. Kind regards, That's Rowan of Islam. :?: :tiphat:
abstactlemon
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emmanuel-onwuanaku.html
Latest Review: Mindsponge Theory by Quan-Hoang Vuong

Post by abstactlemon »

Prisallen wrote: 07 Oct 2022, 08:30 It sounds like this is an excellent book for helping people turn their lives around and find their purpose in the world. I really appreciate your informative review. Well done!
It really is. :D
it is what it is ....
Saint Bruno
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: The vampires missing cape by Steve Stables
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Saint Bruno »

This is a book that's easy to recommend to anyone currently struggling with finding their feet and understanding how to achieve their goals. Thanks for the amazing and detailed review and recommendation.
Faisal Kurfi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faisal-kurfi.html
Latest Review: Winners and Losers: by Arthur Hartz
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Faisal Kurfi »

I have not read this book but your review of it has provided me with enough to understand what it entails. Thanks.
Okorji98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okorji98.html
Latest Review: The Reason Under fire by Abdulmouti Souwed

Post by Okorji98 »

Where You Are & How To Get There by Nolan Ryan Recker is a book about finding yourself, at least on the surface. Great review.
Sarah tianna
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-tianna.html
Latest Review: Reverse Chronic Kidney Disease by Yaw A. Boateng

Post by Sarah tianna »

Based on the review, I can conclude this book is absolutely fascinating and engaging. I look forward to reading this amazing book. Thanks for a mindblowing review.
Diana Lowery
Currently Reading: The Exchange
Bookshelf Size: 342
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: Broken Lance by William H Brown
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Diana Lowery »

I like how you compare the book to having a conversation with a friend. Your positive review makes the book sound like it needs to go on my "must-read" list.
FunkyFlowerLady
Favorite Book: Terms of Service
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-funkyflowerlady.html
Latest Review: Stage Fright by John Gore

Post by FunkyFlowerLady »

A book about self-discovery and reflection interspersed with religion. amazing review! Looking forward to reading the book.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”