Review of Chennault-a Rebel in China

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Faithy_Goody_Star
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faithy-star.html
Latest Review: Autism: One Grandparent's Roadmap by Geoffrey Robinson

Review of Chennault-a Rebel in China

Post by Faithy_Goody_Star »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Chennault-a Rebel in China" by Lt. Col. Richard Voorhies Jr..]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In Chennault-a Rebel in China (Book 1 of the Chennault Trilogy), Lt. Col. Richard P. Voorhies Jr. explores the formation, life, and exploits of Claire Lee Chennault.

Growing up, Chennault was like every other child, yet unique. Nonetheless, tragedy struck his family a couple of times, which affected him immensely. After attempting and passing through a series of educational qualifications, he settled for being a teacher in a school. He seemed good at his job. However, to boost his finances as a family man, he sought a better-paying job. This led him to pursue and build a career in the American Air Force. Although his years in the military were filled with satisfying activities and promotions, it was a bumpy ride. One could blame his sometimes rash behavior and unconventional theories for the unpleasant side of the job. However, a particular occurrence affected him so much that he made a huge decision regarding his career. Eventually, he made it to China on military duty. What decision did he make? Will Chennault get the opportunity to prove or redeem himself?

Of all the historical books I have ever read, I can confidently say that Chennault-a Rebel in China by Richard was the easiest for me to read and grasp. Most historical novels I have read seem too verbose and complex. Although I hate to sound cliche, it is noteworthy that the words employed by the author and his writing style made for an easy appreciation of the book. Furthermore, I loved that the author gave a sort of overview of the story before beginning it properly. This also helped in my ease of appreciation.

The highlight for me in this book is the lessons therein. To begin with, the leveraging of Chennault's teaching skills at different points in the military taught me that no skill is a waste. A skill can be important or even give one an edge in a career where such a skill may not be a core one. Furthermore, considering his level of expertise in teaching as depicted by the author, I loved he found himself in situations that required his skill.

Certain attributes exhibited by Chennault are worth adopting. Just like he did, we should always stand for what we believe in until we prove ourselves right or even wrong. Also, no matter how others criticize us for our beliefs, we should not erase them to fit in or for the happiness of others but us. If we keep upholding our views, someone else will definitely appreciate us, and that could have a great impact on our lives.

I found only a few minor errors, which makes this book professionally edited. I have no complaints about this book. Evidently, all I had to write about this book leans toward the positive. Therefore, I am giving it a rating of four out of four stars.

I recommend this book to those in the military, as they will learn a lot. I also recommend it to people who work in a career where there is competition and hierarchy. If you are a lover of historical novels, then I can't recommend this book enough.

Chennault-a Rebel in China
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Okorji98
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okorji98.html
Latest Review: The Reason Under fire by Abdulmouti Souwed

Post by Okorji98 »

I loved that the author gave a sort of overview of the story before beginning it properly. Great review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”