Review of For Gods Sake Mother

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sharill Rasowo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharill-rasowo.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Review of For Gods Sake Mother

Post by Sharill Rasowo »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "For Gods Sake Mother" by Jan Spicer.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Jan Spicer's For God's Sake Mother is a story about the author's mother's battle with dementia. It chronicles the family's struggles with this cruel disease as it gradually took their mother away. The author attempts to preserve her mother's memories and stories in this book. She takes us through her childhood, her mother's personality, and various glimpses into their lives.

I appreciated how open the author was about her family. She recounted memories of her mother that did not paint her in the best light, but the text was written in a loving tone. I could also sense the author's nostalgia for her childhood, and it was clear that she had nothing but positive memories despite some less-than-ideal circumstances. She vividly described her mother's eccentricities and made me feel as if I knew her. I also appreciated the numerous family photos scattered throughout the text because they put a face to the people going through this ordeal.

I was able to feel the stark difference between her present and past selves as a result of the author's vivid description of her mother. The author's mother, who was once vivacious, is now unable to care for herself. It was heartbreaking to read about the author's mother's deterioration. I could feel the author's family's helplessness as they watched their mother deteriorate and the disease mess with their daily lives. It was heartwarming, however, to see the family rise to the task of caring for their mother.

I found nothing to dislike about this book. I thought it was admirable that the author was open about the stress that families face when faced with this diagnosis, especially if they become caregivers for loved ones who no longer know who they are. I also admired her candor about the panic, guilt, and fear she felt as a result of the diagnosis, as well as the mistakes her family made along the way. Despite the depressing subject matter, I was left with a sense of hope after witnessing the family refuse to give up hope and instead do their best to care for their mother while she was still alive.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars because it was an honest look at what dementia patients and their families go through. I only found one grammatical error in the text, indicating that it was professionally edited. I would recommend this to anyone who is interested in dementia or has family members who have been diagnosed with it. It will provide them with valuable insight into the devastation caused by this disease, as well as some hope as they witness the coping strategies used by this family.

For Gods Sake Mother
View: on Bookshelves
Yasmine M
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yasmine-m.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign
2024 Reading Goal: 25
2024 Goal Completion: 20%

Post by Yasmine M »

It is a beautiful thing that the author decided to write her mother's memories. Dementia is a challenging disease, especially for the families and the people taking care of the sick person. The mother in this story is lucky to heave such a loving daughter.
Summer Henrietta
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-summer-henrietta.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Summer Henrietta »

I have never really thought about this illness called dementia. I'm glad I have an avenue to know more about it now.
Great review.
Patty Allread
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Problems of Work
Currently Reading: Bird by Bird
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-patty-allread.html
Latest Review: Hinduism by Dr Hiro G. Badlani

Post by Patty Allread »

I have friends who have had to care for loved ones with dementia, and it is a tough, tough challenge with no winners. This book sounds like a heartfelt testimonial about the author's mother and family and their struggle.
Stephanie Cameron
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-cameron.html
Latest Review: Grizzly Lake by Robert Woods

Post by Stephanie Cameron »

The title drew me in. My grandmother had dementia. It is hard to watch a loved one goes through this. It is hard on them as well. Great review .

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”