Review of The Making Of A Collegian

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nzube Chizoba Okeke
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nzube-chizoba-okeke.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Review of The Making Of A Collegian

Post by Nzube Chizoba Okeke »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Making Of A Collegian" by James D Evans.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Most people at some point in life must have passed or is still passing through the furnace of college with varying unique experiences giving us the title "collegian." The Making Of A Collegian tells the undiluted story and experience of James D. Evans on his collegiate journey.

James was the first member of his family to attend college at a time when having a degree brought a sense of security and laid out a path in life. With the usual excitement that came with broadening his experience in life, he would go on to spend half a century surrounded by the four walls of a college. What events prompted this decision? What trials and tribulations would he face on his collegiate journey?

The book cover first drew me in. The art was quite intriguing, showing an open book with the various fields connected by a stairway to the graduation cap. My interest came from the open doorway on the graduation cap. It held this mystery as to what possibilities it had for those who would walk through it.

It's incredible how a single decision can change one's life. The author was going to be a chemistry major before a serendipitous occurrence changed that to psychology. During my reading journey, I wondered what would have happened if he had stuck with chemistry.

I liked the way the book was structured. It created coherency and a good flow, as I knew what to expect in each part. Although some parts were more enjoyable than others, they synergized well to create a comprehensive read. The writing style showed a sense of eruditeness, which was a testament to the author's expertise. I had to use the dictionary for a word or two to grasp some sentences. Nevertheless, they didn't detract from my enjoyment but expanded my knowledge.

This book was an insider view of college education outside the classroom. The author provided brief details for all relevant events. He showed a level of fluidity in life that helped his evolution. I could see how his biases and beliefs were slowly broken down, especially on how professors would behave. I never knew so much politics was involved in the upper echelon of education. It was pretty enlightening.

This review wouldn't be complete without mentioning Lois, the author's wife. She was the real MVP, sacrificing a lot to cater to his dreams. I didn't think he would have done much without her unwavering support. She inspired me.

The Making Of A Collegian was an eye-opener. It had a level of relatability to it and would be a source of reliable pre-knowledge for those planning to take that path in life. The editing was professionally done, as I found only a few errors. Since there was nothing to dislike, I'd give it a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. I would recommend it to every collegian or intending collegian.

The Making Of A Collegian
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Yasmine M
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yasmine-m.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign
2024 Reading Goal: 25
2024 Goal Completion: 20%

Post by Yasmine M »

It is an interesting book for those who are heading to college but also for those who want to reminisce about their lives in college. I understand when you wrote that the book cover first drew you in. The book cover is indeed beautiful and intriguing. Thanks for the review.
Summer Henrietta
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-summer-henrietta.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Summer Henrietta »

This book is really an eye opener. It would really help in decision making process especially on what to expect.
I love this review.
Welldone.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”