Review of Afterlife

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Theresa Moffitt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theresa-moffitt.html
Latest Review: Royal Gossip by Trisha Goodwin
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 30%

Review of Afterlife

Post by Theresa Moffitt »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Afterlife" by Carlo Pietro Sanfilippo.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Afterlife: Waking Up from My American Dream by Carlo Pietro Sanfilippo is a nonfiction book about the author’s life. The author struggled with several significant events in his life that happened within a short amount of time. His mother and stepfather died within a relatively short period. He also went through a divorce and changes to the structure of his business. These events impacted his life significantly. As a result of the divorce, he moved out of his house and into a condominium. Once he stepped back and examined his life, he realized that he had always done what was expected of him. He married and started a family at a young age. He spent his time working as a financial planner and working on his house. The houses he bought were older homes that needed a significant amount of work, so he learned how to complete the necessary work himself rather than hire someone to do it for him. His time was always devoted to working in one form or another. After his divorce, he focused on what had been missing from his life and what would make him happy.

Sanfilippo was so out of touch with his own likes and dislikes that didn’t know how he should decorate his condo or how he should dress. His wife had always decorated their homes to match her taste. The clothes he wore were consistent with what financial planners wore. It took some time for him to study interior designs and fashion to identify what felt right to him. He took his mission of self-discovery very seriously. He started making furniture. He enjoyed the creative process and made furniture to suit his taste. He developed talents he didn’t know that he had. He also practiced yoga, saw a therapist, and rediscovered his love of traveling.

I enjoyed reading this book. The author’s story is inspiring. He suffered through many hardships. However, he was able to move past the end of his marriage and the grief of losing his mother and stepfather. He was able to learn more about himself and what made him happy. It was interesting to read about his travels with his sons. He learned Italian before their trip to Italy. He wanted to be fluent enough to have conversations with the locals there. That required a significant amount of studying and illustrated his level of commitment. What impressed me the most about this book was the author’s thirst for learning. He was constantly learning new things and making significant accomplishments.

There was nothing that I disliked about this book. The author was very straightforward and honest about the obstacles he faced in his life. Many readers will be able to relate to his candid discussions about his failed marriage and business issues. I appreciated the author’s positive attitude. He consistently took on new challenges and succeeded by following his interests. Throughout the book, he encouraged readers to determine what they want to accomplish, places they would like to go, and things they want to learn. It’s difficult for people to shift focus from work and focus on what makes them happy. People may need to simplify their lives to create time to pursue those things. The author examined his life and took the time to rethink how he spent his time and money. In this way, he could have the time and money to do the things he always wanted to do.

The book was edited very well. There were a few errors in the book that did not distract me from the story. I give this book a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. I would not rate it any less because it is an inspiring story about how the author transformed his life. I recommend it to readers who are struggling through obstacles, such as grief and divorce. They will be able to relate to the author’s experiences. The book is also very motivational for readers who feel that they are stuck living paycheck to paycheck. His advice on simplification with the goal of happiness and fulfillment is beneficial for readers interested in making significant changes in their lives.

Afterlife
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Abdulrahman Alidriga
Favorite Book: Apollo's Raven
Currently Reading: The Raven Conspiracy
Bookshelf Size: 69

Post by Abdulrahman Alidriga »

The author was very straightforward and honest about the obstacles he faced in his life.There is nothing that i disliked about the book.beacause it carried great lesson in our daily life Especially on how to over come challenges in life.its an interesting review.
Oluwasogo Familusi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluwasogo-familusi.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Oluwasogo Familusi »

Thanks for the review. It is the aspect of the author's introspection that I like most. It encourages me to always examine myself too.
Lawrence+2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lawrence-2.html
Latest Review: The Ranting of an Uneducated Reactionary by Oscar J. Phillips

Post by Lawrence+2 »

This review made me emotional. So sorry for the loss of the author. Nice review.
Ada Chris
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ada-chris.html
Latest Review: Hunger of the Pine by Teal Swan

Post by Ada Chris »

The thought of losing both parents and the getting a divorce is very painful, I sympathize with the author, I’m definitely going to read about this book to learn how the author went through all this pain and still remained strong. Nice review !
Odala J Phiri
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-odala-j-phiri.html
Latest Review: In the End by Ken Saik

Post by Odala J Phiri »

The author went through a lot. Sometimes, life throws bad things at people regardless of who they are. Am still trying to figure out the connection between the title of the book and the story of Carlo. Thanks for the detailed review.
Latest Review: In the End by Ken Saik
Kieran Anslow
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kieran-anslow.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kieran Anslow »

Self-discovery is not an easy thing because it involves a lot of challenges that might probably scare one off. The author's work is unique. Thanks for your honest review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”