Review of Power Glass

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Joyce Nwaogazie
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joyce-nwaogazie.html
Latest Review: We Stand Here as A millionaire by Joan Gross

Review of Power Glass

Post by Joyce Nwaogazie »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Power Glass" by Katherine Cooper.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Power Glass: Personal Essays is a non-fiction book written by Katherine Cooper. It contains 170 pages divided into 4 chapters.

The book began with an introduction to the concepts of power and fragility. Chapter one is narrated with explicit details of her rape assault. How it all happened and how justice was duly meted out The women who were supposed to be her advocates in her trying time turned out to unfortunately disappoint her. Nonetheless, her family did their best to show their support for her. Chapter Two narrates her steps in finding healing. She went on to have a successful career in the nuclear engineering sector. She exposed the struggles women are subjected to in this sector. They were expected to act tough to be seen as competent when compared to the men. The author also listed and explained the falsehoods peddled by society about female engineers and women in general. An example was the belief that "the morning-after pill is the same as abortion." Chapter three went on to discuss the limiting behaviors ingrained in human nature and ways to improve on them. The concept of sexism and what rape culture was all about were also discussed here. Finally, Chapter four discussed the unfavorable effects of rape and what it does to the family members and loved ones of the victim. Katherine detailed the steps to coming out as a survivor of an assault.

Most of the time, the concept of rape is misunderstood. Rape only happens when consent isn't offered. The way you're dressed, or whatever scenario people would like to hastily point out, doesn't matter. This is a very informative and inspiring book. I'll love women to read it. The knowledge present in this book is priceless. You won't easily forget the contents after reading it.

I appreciated what the author did at the start of each chapter. The author added titles to the chapters. This would give the readers some insight into what the chapter was about. She also included quotes from famous people. This would offer readers something to meditate on as they're reading. I loved the way the author debunked the myths and misconceptions with details, using herself as a case study regarding the female gender. Some unfamiliar terms were present in the book. I liked how the author gave the meanings so that readers wouldn't be left confused. An example was SMR, which means Single Reactor Mode. I liked the author's writing style. It was straight to the point and easy to understand. The book was exceptionally well-edited, as I found no errors.

The only thing I was displeased with was the presence of discrepancies in the numbering of the pages. Some examples were on pages 48 and 49 and also on page 103. Instead of the next pages being 49, 50, and 104, respectively, they were still pages 48, 49, and 103. As the writer is a nuclear engineer, there were some mentions of terms and projects that I found confusing as I'm not in that line of work. However, these did not affect my overall enjoyment of the book. As such, I'll give it a rating of 4 out of 4 stars.

This book will be suitable for rape victims who are trying to find a way out of a traumatic incident. The way the author shared her story will lend some calm to you. Also, females will find this book very informative as there are details of how a woman's body works and how to not let the discrimination of society against females weigh you down.

Power Glass
View: on Bookshelves
maycherono91
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maycherono91.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by maycherono91 »

What a wonderful review! This is a book I would definitely love to read. I also would encourage other women to read it too, because in one way or another, majority of women have been in a situation where a man felt entitled to their bodies, and dismissed the concept of 'consent'. Am concerned though, won't the book be a trigger for post-rape victims?
Paully_
Currently Reading: 30th Century: Escape (First Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paully.html
Latest Review: Red Endures the Test of Time by Thomas Fullmer

Post by Paully_ »

This is an informative book that every lady would appreciate. I applaud the author for penning down her experience to assist other people. Nicely written review.
Ada Chris
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ada-chris.html
Latest Review: Hunger of the Pine by Teal Swan

Post by Ada Chris »

An informative review, this book is good for educating raped victims and how they can get through it, I’m definitely reading the book due to how the author listed the happenings in real life. The storyline is passing information to victims of rape, a good book.
Donald Trust
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donald-trust.html
Latest Review: Rosa by Barbara de la Cuesta

Post by Donald Trust »

Nice review even though this is not my kind of book. The book has a nice plot.
Vivian Agenms
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17

Post by Vivian Agenms »

A wonderful review, women face a lot in our society and career choices is one topic that's not left out, I hope to find out how she was able to work in an job that most people define as a man's job.
Lawrence+2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lawrence-2.html
Latest Review: The Ranting of an Uneducated Reactionary by Oscar J. Phillips

Post by Lawrence+2 »

Powerful review. I think this review did justice to the massage carried by this book. Kudos
Madu Abigail
Currently Reading: The Unseelie Crown
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-madu-abigail.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Madu Abigail »

From my experience, I can tell that this book is going to be very interesting. Every lady would appreciate this book.bI would definitely get this book in my shelf. Thanks for this wonderful review.
Goodness C N
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-goodness-c-n.html
Latest Review: Love Yourself & Lose Weight: The Success Story of Self Love by Katie Lips

Post by Goodness C N »

I can't imagine the difficulties experienced by rape victims. This is a well-written and informative review. It gave me an insight into what to expect. Well done.
Chiwendu Ikechukwu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiwendu-ikechukwu.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Chiwendu Ikechukwu »

from this review, i believe this is a powerful book. will be adding it to my chelf for letter reading.
Tosin Le
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tosin-le.html
Latest Review: The BLACK BOTTOM by Theo Czuk

Post by Tosin Le »

What a touching, yet inspiring read. Katherine passed through hurdles, but, I'm glad that she was able to pull through in the end.
Christabel Egbeama
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christabel-egbeama.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet
Reading Device: B09KBSDRDG

Post by Christabel Egbeama »

This book is both powerful and informative. This book comforts rape victims. It makes them feel less alone in their traumas. Thanks for the well-written review.
Azubike Richard
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azubike-richard.html
Latest Review: Love and Resistance by Marie J. Mond

Post by Azubike Richard »

What an amazing review! I would definitely like reading this book. The majority of women have experienced a circumstance in which a male felt entitled to their body and disregarded the idea of "consent," thus I would also advise other women to read it. However, I worry that the book can serve as a trigger for post-rape victims.
Nweze Raalchukwu1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nweze-raalchukwu1.html
Latest Review: JTs World by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Nweze Raalchukwu1 »

The book seems to show case the horrors of rape. It is a really horrible act. Good review
Hubre De Klerk
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Currently Reading: Forged in Death
Bookshelf Size: 476
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hubre-de-klerk.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty
Reading Device: B075XP6ZZ4
fav_author_id: 3720

Post by Hubre De Klerk »

I think this is an excellent book to have out there. I am really sorry about what happened to the author and what she had to go through, but I do look up to her for trying to help and soothe others due to her own experiences. I hate the saying, "she was asking for it dressed like that," just as we have freedom of speech, I do believe we can express ourselves as we want to and desire to do. It doesn't mean wearing a short dress, or something that shapes my body that I am looking for it. Sometimes something as small as just feeling good in what you are dressed in is the pickup you needed after a bad day. I can't wait to read this book! Well done for #BOTD and for an excellent review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”