Review of Mind Over Matter Blisscipline Programme

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Soraya Bayah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thuriya-albayaa.html
Latest Review: The Lockdown Collection by Barry Jacob

Review of Mind Over Matter Blisscipline Programme

Post by Soraya Bayah »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Mind Over Matter Blisscipline Programme" by Marie Gould.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Mind Over Matter - Blisscipline Programme: Your Five Steps to Happiness by Marie Gould is a self-help book intended for individuals suffering from stress, self-hatred, and anxiety. It covers five steps the author has found helpful to provide individuals with control over their emotions, responses, and, ultimately, their life. The author starts by narrating her life and how her anxiety affected her physical health. She then provides food for thought to eager readers to continue the book and then encourages them to pledge to take control of their lives and not blame anything or anyone if something fails. The book then describes the five steps to happiness, starting by identifying negative thoughts, reformatting our minds, making sure to count our blessings, and finally focusing on living in the present.

I found a lot to enjoy in this short read. The book is written in a straightforward manner and directly addresses the reader, making it easier for them to feel involved. It's also written in a simple language. One of the quotations that stuck with me was one by Henry Ford, which stated, "Whether you think you can or you can't, you're right." It's because it highlights our ability to make things a reality by visualizing them, and to succeed in anything, including eliminating anxiety, is to envision ourselves doing it. An amusing and enlightening paragraph stated how our fight or flight responses were the same whether we were facing a lion or speaking in front of an audience. Sometimes we do not fear death from a lion as much as we fear speaking in public. Reading this made me realize how big we make things appear when they, in reality, are not that serious.

As the title suggests, the author is not trying to discipline her readers but rather wants them to perceive her advice as "blisscipline" and not feel down when they fail to adhere to it. She uses a tone that suggests empathy and understanding and even tries to connect with those who believe their life is unfixable. She emphasizes thinking positively to help readers focus on what's good to place them in a mentally better state. She also provided links and references for those who would like to continue reading relevant books that may be helpful in further cementing the ideas she proposed. She provided links to her website and mentioned that readers could contact her personally for advice.

As for the negatives, there were some. The book is far from being well edited, as the 58 pages contained a lot more than just ten errors. Also, the book lacked a proper foundation and had limited techniques and exercises. I see it could benefit from a professional editor, as it needs rearrangement of ideas and more elaboration on some parts to make it well rounded.

Considering everything, I rate this book a three out of four stars. I deducted a star for encountering more than ten errors. I contemplated deducting another star but saw that the positives outweighed the negatives despite the repetitive mistakes like lack of organization and elaboration on some parts. The book does not include profanity or sexual content. It does not delve into religious discussions, making it suitable for virtually everyone. I recommend it to anyone going through a stressful event or those who are often overwhelmed and anxious. Those well acquainted with self-help books will find this book superficial and dull, so it is preferable they skip it. Still, those willing to read a short, helpful book that gives an outline of how to eliminate negative thoughts and embrace positive thinking will find this book insightful. Furthermore, those who suffer from workplace stress will find it particularly relatable.

Mind Over Matter Blisscipline Programme
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Waliyat_24
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-waliyat-24.html
Latest Review: Bi-Polaroid by David Samuelson

Post by Waliyat_24 »

I'll like to read this self-help book. It's something I could relate to. Good job!
Laney K
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laney-k.html
Latest Review: Uncharted Desires by Jillian Sharp
2024 Reading Goal: 50
2024 Goal Completion: 44%

Post by Laney K »

I'm not a huge fan of self-help books but this does seem like a good one. Thanks for the informative review.
Jatto Onimisi
Currently Reading: Shitolian
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jatto-onimisi.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin

Post by Jatto Onimisi »

I have read a few self-help books that were, indeed, truly helpful. Some, not so much. I have come to understand that, as the author advises, one needs to take control of one's life - it's the greatest self-help decision to start with. This sure seems like an interesting short read. Your review did a great summary. Thanks.
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

I believe that I pass on this one despite is seems to be promising. You are right, such a short book needs to be edited better. Thank you very much for this honest review!
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

It sounds like the book could be very beneficial to a lot of people. I hope the author takes your advice and fixes the problem areas. Thanks for a wonderful review!
Ruthwriter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruthwriter.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Ruthwriter »

Overcoming anxiety has overtime become a big problem for me.i thank this book for his timely approach to the problem.thanks for the review
Nwaka Chukwuemeka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwaka-chukwuemeka.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Nwaka Chukwuemeka »

Wow, I will like to read this book, the title looks interesting, I such books that give you insights into better living.
Francis Aderogbin
Favorite Book: Money Faucet
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 189
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-francis-aderogbin.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Francis Aderogbin »

I like books that are written out of experience. They always carry wisdom for the readers to navigate their lives. This particular book is not an exception.
Raymonda onwuka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raymonda-onwuka.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Raymonda onwuka »

This is a wonderful review. I love books such as this one as they improve the intrinsic quality of human life.
Azubike Richard
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azubike-richard.html
Latest Review: Love and Resistance by Marie J. Mond

Post by Azubike Richard »

A few self-help books I've read have actually been very beneficial. Some, but not many. I've realized that, as the author suggests, taking charge of one's life is the best self-help move to make at the outset. This sounds like a quick yet intriguing read. The summary in your review was excellent. Thanks
Sumto Nii
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sumto-nii.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend

Post by Sumto Nii »

Being too anxious in life doesn't add anything to anyone. Excessive thinking doesn't solve problems. I just try to do my best in all my endeavours. This is a beautiful book.
Odala J Phiri
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-odala-j-phiri.html
Latest Review: In the End by Ken Saik

Post by Odala J Phiri »

Though am not suffering from any of the aforementioned conditions, I am still interested to know the 5-step solution to that when it comes I know what to do. Thanks for the review.
Latest Review: In the End by Ken Saik

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”