Review of Just Visiting

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Obinna Chima Agoms
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bibliophile-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Why Rock The Boat When You Don't Know How To Swim? by Daniel Sebata

Review of Just Visiting

Post by Obinna Chima Agoms »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Just Visiting" by Michelle Bouverie.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Just Visiting was a heart-rending read for me as I got to feel a glimmer of how Michelle Bouverie felt during some events in her life, even if it was for a brief moment. When Michelle's third daughter, Bella, was diagnosed with a genetic condition, the first of its kind in the world, this spelled out the uncertainty of her future. The inevitable happened. How were Michelle and her family able to handle the aftermath?

A picture speaks a thousand words; this is true for the book's cover. It's like a memory captured in time. The author is seen gently forehead-bumping her daughter, reminiscent of how animals do to each other to show affection and reassurance. I knew this wouldn't be a jolly read from the book title and cover, and I was right. The first few words had me feeling the pain in the face of things beyond her control.

Death comes to us all. However, when it comes to someone who hasn't had the chance to live, the sting is more painful for their loved ones. It is said that no parent should ever have to bury their child. But life doesn't usually go as we planned. Grief is one of those emotions every human will feel as they grow older. Although the cause may vary, it doesn't make the pain less real. The author expressed this reality in no uncertain terms.

The author is quite a good poet. There is a poetry verse before every chapter, written personally by the author to usher the reader into the events in the chapter. In the poems, she is more expressive than in her prose. They are a window to her deep-rooted emotions, and I see her in her most vulnerable state in those moments.

I loved how she navigated her pain, regardless of the outcome. Even when she almost did things in an unhealthy way, she had a sound support system to see her through. She used this book as a beacon of inspiration and to say, "you are not alone."

The greatest lesson I learned while reading was that no one was promised a long life; we'd have to live in the moment, taking one day at a time. Bella was showered with undying love from her family and given a sense of belonging by people who met her, even with her disability. They made the best of what cards life dealt them.

Just Visiting showed us grief from a mother's perspective. I found everything about this book perfect except the editing. Therefore, I'd rate it 3 out of 4 stars. I would recommend it to people going through grief and hurt from loss.

Just Visiting
View: on Bookshelves
Waliyat_24
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-waliyat-24.html
Latest Review: Bi-Polaroid by David Samuelson

Post by Waliyat_24 »

The pain of loosing a child can never be underrated. I hope the author finds peace with it one day!
Lawrence+2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lawrence-2.html
Latest Review: The Ranting of an Uneducated Reactionary by Oscar J. Phillips

Post by Lawrence+2 »

Reading the review alone has stimulated a good memory in me. Would love to read this book some day.
Chiwendu Ikechukwu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiwendu-ikechukwu.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Chiwendu Ikechukwu »

powerful review for a powerful book. the storyline is captivating and i am excited to have come across this book.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”