Review of The Love We Knew

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
LinaMueller
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 261
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linamueller.html
Latest Review: The Wingless Fairy by Kye Strothers

Review of The Love We Knew

Post by LinaMueller »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Love We Knew" by John R. Gammino.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Love We Knew tells a couple's love story from the time they met as teenagers until the end of one of their lives. Author John R. Gammino is an Italian-American who had held high positions in corporate America until he decided to found his consulting firm. Although the book deals with many details of how the author climbed the corporate ladder, the main focus is his relationship with his wife, Pat. Even so, readers who like financial tips from self-made men will not be disappointed.

The fascinating thing about this book is that although John and Pat are an ordinary middle-class American couple, their lives have been incredibly eventful and full of lessons. Here the reader will find shattered sports dreams, early pregnancy, the onset of cancer, loss of relatives, and much more. The author makes it clear that he wrote this book as a tribute to his wife, but the truth is that he wrote a universal work that will benefit a heterogeneous audience.

There is barely anything negative to mention. It is quite true that the book is easy-to-read, and I was left with a feeling of wanting more. This work is exceptionally well-edited, and I couldn't find any grammatical errors. The images are of excellent quality and very well chosen. They add value to the book. For instance, there's a photo of family members seeing each other for the first time (sorry, I won't give spoilers) and the uncomfortable expression on one's face is priceless. These details made the author create a magnificent work and succeed in his initial objective.

After reading the first three paragraphs, the reader knows that it is a work I liked. You bet. The Love We Knew is an insightful, powerful and spellbinding book. Since it has so many qualities, the only possible score is four out of four stars. As this is the first book by the author, who has been a businessman all his life, it is possible to verify that he has literary skills. Lucky for us, he's thinking about writing new books. I do not doubt that he would be successful if he decided to write a business book.

After all, what did I mean by "heterogeneous audience" in the second paragraph? As there are no swear words, the book is age-free. Readers who enjoy a story of a happy and prosperous family will enjoy this book. In the background, the book also discusses how the US was and still is a land of opportunity where proactive, hardworking people can progress economically. The author's father wanted his son to go to university but did not imagine that he would achieve much more in life.

The Love We Knew
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Heart! We will forget him!
You an I, tonight!
You may forget the warmth he gave,
I will forget the light.

When you have done, pray tell me
That I my thoughts may dim;
Haste! lest while you're lagging.
I may remember him!

Emily Dickinson
Uwe Neufeld
Favorite Author: Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Favorite Book: Treasure Island
Currently Reading: Reconfigurement
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uwe-neufeld.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel
fav_author_id: 3039

Post by Uwe Neufeld »

I like to read stories about successfull people, especially if written by themselves. It gives hope and gives the oportunity to emulate somehow theire thoghts and actions.
Odala J Phiri
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-odala-j-phiri.html
Latest Review: In the End by Ken Saik

Post by Odala J Phiri »

This seems to be a great read. The author just killed two birds with one stone. Addressing self-made finances and relationship with his wife. Thanks for this wonderful review.
Latest Review: In the End by Ken Saik
Kieran Anslow
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kieran-anslow.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kieran Anslow »

This book is a good one, and it does not really have specific audience because its contents is universally acommodating. The author did a good job. Thanks for your honest review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”