Review of The Breakthrough Overthinking Method

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Flinx's Folly
Bookshelf Size: 419
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 26%

Review of The Breakthrough Overthinking Method

Post by NetMassimo »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Breakthrough Overthinking Method" by Mark Howards.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Breakthrough Overthinking Method by Mark Howards is a self-help book that aims to turn overthinking into mindfulness through a process that retrains your brain to transform your chain of thoughts bit by bit. The author describes the I.S.A. (Identify, Solve, Act) rules that help you break negative mental habits. Overthinking can generate stress and anxiety, get you stuck and unable to make decisions, and even make you fall into an obsessive state that can become pathological.

Thinking before acting is good but there's a point after which you're overthinking. Thoughts focus on negative elements leading you to the worst-case scenario. Bad experiences can push us to negative thinking which in turn leads us to bad decisions or the inability to make decisions. Mark Howards used to be that kind of person and decided to study psychology to solve his problem. Eventually, he devised a method to break out of those toxic habits and create new, positive habits.

This book is short with its 124 pages that include a reference list that is useful as well if you're interested in some scientific studies that offered Mark Howards suggestions for his method. The author explains the I.S.A. rules step by step, also using tables and summaries at the end of his chapters. They make things as clear as possible and make it easier for readers to come back for a quick review. That's what I appreciated the most about this book.

The chapter about the Act rule includes parts about eating and physical exercise because physical health is connected to mental health. Mark Howards doesn't go in-depth because those are not his specializations but offers some suggestions that are useful to improve your physical health and mood.

The problem with the book is that it contains several errors and sometimes the phrasing is a bit awkward. The important concepts are still easy to understand, so my reading experience and my understanding weren't affected. However, in my opinion, in this kind of book, it's particularly important that everything is very clear, so this is the part I didn't like. I think that some polishing in the form of correcting the mistakes and rephrasing some bits would improve the book.

I already knew some of the techniques described in this book because I have a tendency to overthink, so I already looked for solutions in the past. I'm already working to add some of the techniques I learned from this book to achieve another step forward toward mindfulness. As the author points out in his book, it's a process in which every bit helps.

I found this book very useful, as Mark Howards explains practical rules you can integrate into your everyday life to improve your state of mind. It's a process that has benefits that increase with every step you take with all the possible positive ramifications on your life.

Only because of its errors, I have to rate The Breakthrough Overthinking Method 3 out of 4 stars. If you have a tendency to overthink, I recommend reading it. The absence of profanity and sexual references makes it suitable for teenagers as well, as they can learn to properly focus their thoughts before their overthinking becomes a problem.

The Breakthrough Overthinking Method
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Ciao :)
Massimo
Paully_
Currently Reading: 30th Century: Escape (First Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paully.html
Latest Review: Red Endures the Test of Time by Thomas Fullmer

Post by Paully_ »

The book is concise with a lot of practical solution. Thanks for the informative review.
NetMassimo

Post by NetMassimo »

Paully_ wrote: 03 Jul 2022, 20:50 The book is concise with a lot of practical solution. Thanks for the informative review.
Yes, the book is very oriented to practical techniques. Thank you for commenting!
Massimo
Ruthwriter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruthwriter.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Ruthwriter »

What a great book! I love this technique, it's impacting and helpful. reading a book like this will add value to my life.
NetMassimo

Post by NetMassimo »

Ruthwriter wrote: 04 Jul 2022, 07:18 What a great book! I love this technique, it's impacting and helpful. reading a book like this will add value to my life.
It's really useful to improve your quality of life. Thank you for commenting!
Massimo
Francis Omotayo Aderogbin
Currently Reading: The Great Migration
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-francis-omotayo-aderogbin.html
Latest Review: Escape from Tuoyawon by R. Murrey Haist

Post by Francis Omotayo Aderogbin »

Wao! I believe I need this book. I have been battling with overthinking for some time now and I believe this book could help. Thank you for the great summary of the book.
You are yet to be the best version of yourself. Keep refining.
Reven Sandagan
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Reven Sandagan »

Its really useful to know the importance of your life. I have been battling with overthinking for the past months and it's hard to fight your inner self. I do believe this book could help.
NetMassimo

Post by NetMassimo »

Francis_Reads wrote: 04 Jul 2022, 08:15 Wao! I believe I need this book. I have been battling with overthinking for some time now and I believe this book could help. Thank you for the great summary of the book.
I'm sure this book can be very useful to you, so good reading!
Massimo
Judith Donald
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-judith-donald.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Judith Donald »

As an overthinker, I am able to relate to some of the symptoms written above. I would like to read this book to learn new methods of coping with stress and anxiety. Great review.
Amy Luman
Currently Reading: Time Before Time
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: All the Targets by Noah Bond
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

Overthinking things has never been one of my problems. In fact, i tend to go too far the other way. I really don't care what others think. However, I have some friends that do and this would be helpful for them.
NetMassimo

Post by NetMassimo »

Judith Donald wrote: 07 Jul 2022, 09:29 As an overthinker, I am able to relate to some of the symptoms written above. I would like to read this book to learn new methods of coping with stress and anxiety. Great review.
You'll certainly find this book very useful. Thank you for your appreciation!
Massimo
NetMassimo

Post by NetMassimo »

Amy Luman wrote: 07 Jul 2022, 12:03 Overthinking things has never been one of my problems. In fact, i tend to go too far the other way. I really don't care what others think. However, I have some friends that do and this would be helpful for them.
Some of your friends might find this book useful. Thank you for commenting!
Massimo
Nwaka Chukwuemeka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwaka-chukwuemeka.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Nwaka Chukwuemeka »

The Breakthrough Overthinking Method is a book that will change your mindset on many things, I love the book. Great review.
NetMassimo

Post by NetMassimo »

Dera Okeke wrote: 08 Jul 2022, 22:21 The Breakthrough Overthinking Method is a book that will change your mindset on many things, I love the book. Great review.
Big changes in little steps. Thank you for your appreciation!
Massimo
Jane Ogwang
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 132
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jane-ogwang.html
Latest Review: Dr. Marsha and the Case of the Missing Marshmallows and Hotdogs by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by Jane Ogwang »

Your review is quite detailed and comprehensive. It's unfortunate that errors spoilt an otherwise excellent book.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”