Review of Phobia Relief

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mutai Marshal
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 515
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mutai-marshal.html
Latest Review: A Reckoning of Wolves by Judy Higgins

Review of Phobia Relief

Post by Mutai Marshal »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Phobia Relief" by Kalliope Barlis.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

According to Phobia Relief by Kalliope Barlis, fear is a strong emotion caused by great worry about something dangerous, painful, or unknown that is happening or might happen. Many people believe fear is retrogressive. To some extent, they are correct. However, some fears are necessary because they shield us from perilous conditions or risks.

Extreme fear is referred to as a phobia. Fears develop in our minds. Failure to control how we think means that we cannot cage our feelings. While acknowledging the brain's vitality, Barlis iterates on the importance of laughter. When we laugh, the brain's flexibility is enhanced, leading to the release of the hormone oxytocin. This process leads to tremendous plasticity of the brain. In simple terms, plasticity means that the brain is flexible and adaptable sufficient to trigger a change in its neural pathways according to your needs.

The book is divided into three parts. Part one addresses the shrinking of fears and finding a purpose. Here, the author acknowledged that reality is subjective; the way we view things at times is not factual, and committing to your purpose eliminates the room for fear. The second part tackles the changing of fear into freedom, while the last segment delves into Neuro-Linguistic Programming (NLP) change work in action.

Phobia Relief is an incredible book that enables the reader to conquer fear. My favorite aspect is the systematic approach Barlis deploys in expunging the fear menace. The importance of the first part cannot be overlooked because it involves a crucial step; an individual deciding to eliminate fear. All the procedures are easy to follow as the author attached exercises dispensing guidance. I relished the third chapter that emphasizes that fears are positive or negative. The only intrinsic fears are the fear of falling and loud noise, which people enter the Universe with. The rest are learnt. Fear causes stress. The good news, as Barlis states, is that problems such as fear are temporary, but their solutions can be permanent.

I appreciated that the author provided case studies. One of the most interesting ones is located under NLP. Through the case study, the readers will probably change their opinions about the things holding them back. Fears affect our relationships because we are afraid to take part in some constructive activities that are new to us. I also liked the scientific explanations provided. Some aspects, such as neurological processing, are explained at length. Through the author’s lens, I envisaged how the central nervous system processes information.

I disliked nothing in this book. It is an incredibly informative book that can be used as an educational tool and for self-help purposes. It reminded me that human beings contain no fear genes. I am now satisfied that I can face the circumstances, no matter their size, and emerge victoriously.

Based on the aspects above, I am inclined to award the book 4 out of 4 stars. The editing was professional; I noticed a few typos and grammatical errors; the errors posed no significant effect on my reading experience.

Lastly, I wholeheartedly recommend this book to anyone dealing with fear. No matter the tumultuous situation you’re trapped in, you can overcome it by utilizing the nuggets of wisdom from this masterpiece.

Phobia Relief
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Cocobutta
Currently Reading: Hidden Current
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cocobutta.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Cocobutta »

I love that this book gives a blueprint on how to overcome fear that may be holding you back. I would love to read it. Great review.
Precious Amarachi Nzeakor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-precious-amarachi-nzeakor.html
Latest Review: Words of Wisdom: INSPIRING QUOTES for Everyone by Sharef Flounoy

Post by Precious Amarachi Nzeakor »

Now im intrigued to learn more about this intrinsic fear concept. If, strictly speaking, fear is an emotion that cannot be calculated, how then are these known to be intrinsic? And what about people without fear of loud noises and falling; are they then with a disease?. Great review.
Elenimo Chembe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elenimo-chembe.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Elenimo Chembe »

I like the fact that this book deals with the concept of fear -this is a unique and intriguing topic.
Emerizx
Currently Reading: Good Sexual Hygiene & Spiritual Attitude
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emerizx.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Emerizx »

Laughter is magical; it can make things that look hard to be simplified. No one can run away from fear, how we handle situations matters a lot.
Abeymayor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23

Post by Abeymayor »

Right from the beginning of man, fear has two meanings " Forget Everything And Run or Face Everything And Rise". The choice is yours. Man's attitude to fear will always determine what the end product will be.
Dorcas Temi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dorcas-temi.html
Latest Review: Building A Coaching Culture by Andreas Von Der Heydt

Post by Dorcas Temi »

Great review.

I’ve always desired to read a book that explains the concept of phobias as I wonder how and when these fears materialize in human development. I’ve also wondered how these Fears lead to physical bodily reactions. I do not doubt that, just as this review informs, the book would be of much informative value.
Penny Ann Criswell Johnson
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Totem
Currently Reading: Snatched up to heaven
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-penny-ann-criswell-johnson.html
Latest Review: Fireproof Happiness by Dr. Randy Ross

Post by Penny Ann Criswell Johnson »

I think I could benefit from reading this book. I have let fear control me, most of my life. Having someone explain how to overcome fear, would be amazing. Sounds like the author has done his research. I love the part that says we are not born with fear. Great Review!
WriteOn
Currently Reading: Wild World
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-writeon.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by WriteOn »

All the procedures are easy to follow as the author attached exercises dispensing guidance. I relished the third chapter that emphasizes that fears are positive or negative. The only intrinsic fears are the fear of falling and loud noise, which people enter the Universe with. The rest are learnt. Fear causes stress. The good news, as Barlis states, is that problems such as fear are temporary, but their solutions can be permanent.
I appreciated all the detail in your review and the well chosen examples you included. I enjoyed reading it and found it very educational. The use of NLP is interesting as I know it can be very effective. This looks like the kind of self-help book that I prefer because it demystifies the causes of problems and makes solutions accessible via easy to follow procedures. I'm intrigued about falling and loud noises being the only intrinsic fears. I thought a few more fears might be instinctive for survival but I can appreciate how early in life other fears start to develop.
Uwe Neufeld
Favorite Author: Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Favorite Book: Treasure Island
Currently Reading: Reconfigurement
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uwe-neufeld.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel
fav_author_id: 3039

Post by Uwe Neufeld »

This is a very helpfull review. Fear is a great problem for many people, including me.
It hasn't be that way though, there are ways to conquer fear. Thank you Seroney!
Gift Mazibuko
Favorite Author: Victoria Christopher Murray
Currently Reading: Snatched Up to Heaven!
Bookshelf Size: 18
fav_author_id: 27573

Post by Gift Mazibuko »

Phobia relief its a necessity to the most of us who suffers from different phobias so this is a great book and great review.
Runan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-runan.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Runan »

Your review encompasses everything a reader wants to know before picking up a book. Laughter leads to plasticity, which in turn makes our brain flexible to change. It is a belief that holds paramount importance. I have read the book too. Your detailing of the book is precise. Your review is phenomenal. Looking forward to reading more of your reviews.
Runan
Benny Rach
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-benny-rach.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Benny Rach »

A practical guide to overcoming fears, 'Phobia Relief' offers clear, actionable steps."

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”