Review of A Doctor's Tales

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Elendu Ekechukwu
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elendu-ekechukwu.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Review of A Doctor's Tales

Post by Elendu Ekechukwu »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Doctor's Tales" by Lawrence R, Brownlee, M.D..]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The popular saying that not all heroes wear capes isn't a myth when you consider how much doctors do in our society. A Doctor's Tales by Lawrence R. Brownlee, M.D. is a book where the author takes his time to narrate some of his experiences while working as a doctor over the years. This is a book of 25 chapters with different stories. Some of these stories will make you laugh, yet you will feel for his patients.

After reading most of these stories, all I can say is that being a doctor is fun. I can't imagine what it feels like to attend to so many cases in my lifetime. The rate of death caused by cancer has been on the rise. It still amuses me when women are lackadaisical towards lumps in their breasts, knowing that this is one of the best-known methods to diagnose breast cancer. Mrs. Smith, unfortunately, was one of these women. She was scared and, as such, didn't want to see a doctor until her husband discovered her problem. Luckily, chemotherapy and other preventive measures helped save her life. Other cases caught my attention, like the story of the lady who feared birds, the man who couldn't pee and so on. The stories in this book are interesting, and I would urge every reader to pick it up for themselves.

I picked up this book because I'm a medical student and I thought I would find it handy. Just like I presumed, the book didn't disappoint me; it even had more than I expected. While reading these stories, I learned a lot about diagnoses and I hope this will be helpful when I begin to practice. The author didn't just write stories; he went on to narrate each ailment and its possible causes and how to deal with them. The fact that he had a way of talking about an ailment without scaring his patient, yet being sincere is something I look to emulate.

I have never been so engrossed in a book like this one. These stories in this book made me recall a movie I once watched, Grey's Anatomy, and I would be seeing that movie again. I found some of these cases funny, and I found some to be caused by the recklessness of the patients. The fact that the author went on to admonish his audience to always go for an early diagnosis is commendable. Stephanie's story is one that had me laughing all day. People are dating people who have changed their sexuality, and they are oblivious to this fact. I wonder how her boyfriend will react when he finds out he was once a man.

I found nothing to hate in this book. The author's style of writing is superb. He made the story very engaging. I couldn't believe it until I read about it here, like the lady who awoke deaf. The funny part is that she never had a serious medical problem before this happened. I also hope that soon the medical world will find a cure for diseases like dementia.

I would give this book 4 out of 4 stars. I found this book error-free. This shows that it was exceptionally well-edited. I would recommend this book to people who love medical thrillers.

A Doctor's Tales
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Sopulu Ezidimma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ezidimma-01.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Sopulu Ezidimma »

I also believe that not all heroes wear capes. The ability to reassure a patient of hope when he/she doesn't see one is golden. Great one nice review.
Pauls_
Currently Reading: A Dagger In The Heart
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paul.html
Latest Review: Recognizing Beauty by Cyndi Burrough

Post by Pauls_ »

Doctors are life-savers. It would be great to read through the author's experience. Great review.
WriteOn
Currently Reading: Wild World
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-writeon.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by WriteOn »

I enjoyed your well written review. Thank you. I'm pleased the book shows the importance of how doctors communicate with patients. A good 'bed side manner' really helps to ensure patients understand their condition and make informed choices. Good luck with your medical studies, its good to know the book can assist students with good practice.
Bef Ozo
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bef-ozo.html
Latest Review: Ditching Success? by Batoul I. Ajlouni

Post by Bef Ozo »

Mrs Smith's life should be an example to everyone. It is better to speak out than live in denial. The number of stories in this book will help readers cherish their lives and live healthy. This is a well-written review. Keep it up!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”