Review of Purpose Driven

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jorge Leon Salazar
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jorge-leon-salazar.html
Latest Review: The Artificial Intelligence Rights and Responsibilities Act” by Alton Booth

Review of Purpose Driven

Post by Jorge Leon Salazar »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Purpose Driven" by Kelly James Martin.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Purpose Driven by Kelly James Martin presents an insightful memoir spanning moments from his childhood to his middle adulthood. Martin explores the theme of how difficult it is to determine the purpose of life and consequently choose an occupation to pursue. In his account, the author highlights his career as a pilot and flight instructor. Likewise, he comments on his marital conflicts and emphasizes his faith in God as his main support. His faith helped him in his recovery process after falling into episodes of discouragement and depression.

The book is divided into sections that place the reader in the specific moments that the narrative addresses. The writing style is direct and easy to understand, but in some cases the details are not fully told, leaving the reader somewhat intrigued. Martin conveys a deep respect for all professions and occupations and stresses the importance of having the support of other people to achieve our purpose. At times, the narrative intertwines the author’s story with the experiences of a fighter pilot from the movie "The Battle of Britain." Martin imagines what that pilot was undergoing and the faith he must have had. I found attractive these imaginary flashes that overlap the author's story and then disappear to continue with his memoir. It gives a sense of comparison between his faith with that of this pilot in a situation of tribulation.

What I liked the most was the selection of bible references that the author included, which were generally appropriate to the situation he was going through. These were in keeping with the faith he had at the time that helped him carry the burden. For example, on page 30, he cites Luke 11:9 when he was plagued by self-doubt. Luke 11:9 reads “Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you.” Another positive of this book is that Martin honors his parents by thanking the inspiration and source of wisdom they meant to him.

The aspect I disliked was that some anecdotes that seemed relevant were not completely clarified, producing the feeling of curiosity unsatisfied. For example, when his son was upset with him and didn't want to take his driving lesson. I was left wondering what the reason was.

This memoir was entertaining and moving. The author went through many vicissitudes, and yet he kept his faith in God and managed to get ahead. Doubtless, this book conveys encouraging messages of not giving up in the face of difficulties and insisting on pursuing our goals. The editing was adequate. However, I noticed several typos that, although they did not affect the flow of the reading, were a significant amount for a short read. Taking into account the comments, I give Purpose Driven a rating of three out of four stars.

I recommend this poignant memoir to those who are looking for an inspiring read that aids gather strength to overcome hardships and achieve our purpose in life. In addition, aviation lovers might find this work appealing.

Purpose Driven
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Goodness C N
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-goodness-c-n.html
Latest Review: Love Yourself & Lose Weight: The Success Story of Self Love by Katie Lips

Post by Goodness C N »

You definitely did a perfect job with this review. It gave me an idea of what was explored in this book. Nicely done
Sopulu Ezidimma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ezidimma-01.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Sopulu Ezidimma »

You review you very good, Good enough to make me want to read the book.I love that the author used scriptural backup and his faith too

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”