Review of Leadership For Landlords

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Review of Leadership For Landlords

Post by Cecilia_L »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Leadership For Landlords" by Anthony Russell.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

As a former U.S. Army sergeant, Anthony Russell draws from his military experience to teach property leaders to elevate their management skills to the next level in Leadership for Landlords. From his frugal upbringing and first lawn-mowing business to achieving financial success in five years, Russell reveals his step-by-step approach to optimal leadership, equipping readers with a toolbox of hands-on tips in this concise guide.

Despite the book’s mere 120 pages, the author addresses topics ranging from common mishaps like flooded basements to unprecedented challenges represented by the pandemic. Russell emphasizes leadership skills he learned in the military, including taking responsibility, building trust, maintaining a positive mindset, communicating effectively, and keys to commanding respect. Prospective property leaders will also appreciate the author's guidelines on keeping good records, consistent operating practices, and how to utilize Google and YouTube to stay current on landlord/tenant laws for their state. His reminder that "...great leaders eat last" speaks for itself. However, on a more humorous note, it took me back to the narrator's words in the movie, A Christmas Story: "My mother had not had a hot meal for herself in 15 years."

The book's strength lies in Russell's ability to illustrate good leadership by sharing convincing stories from his experience as a landlord. For instance, the author describes how adhering to a consistent move-out policy helps him maintain low vacancies. Tenants are required to give a 60-day notice; during that time, Russell completes any repairs, lists, shows, and rents the property before the current occupant vacates. Likewise, when the author shares a scenario about being recorded without his knowledge during a heated confrontation, he demonstrates the importance of remaining calm with combative tenants. Both situations provide practical insight for prospective landlords.

On the other hand, although Russell mentions his "no-filter personality," he fails to censor himself appropriately. Comments like "My positivity crushes them like the disgusting bugs they are" contradict the overall spirit of his message and may be polarizing to some readers. The author also tends to repeat content about the characteristics of a good leader, including the fact that there is more involved than just "barking orders."

The book needs additional editing; the number of errors in punctuation and capitalization necessitates the deduction of a star. Overall, I rate Leadership for Landlords 3 out of 4 stars. I recommend the informative guide to anyone interested in becoming a successful landlord and those desiring to improve their leadership skills. It contains several instances of minor profanity.

Leadership For Landlords
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords
Amenrodion
Currently Reading: Fates Sweet Passion
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amenrodion.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Amenrodion »

I am interested in becoming a landlord and being a leader, however, this book does not look like my cup of tea
Apple 7
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-apple-7.html
Latest Review: The MECE Muse by Christie Lindor

Post by Apple 7 »

Being a landlord is itself a responsibility which requires care, seriousness and professionalism..I like that the author doesn't want to keep everything to himself and is willing to use this avenue to enlighten others on his successful approaches....very nice review
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

Apple 7 wrote: 25 Jan 2022, 12:21 Being a landlord is itself a responsibility which requires care, seriousness and professionalism..I like that the author doesn't want to keep everything to himself and is willing to use this avenue to enlighten others on his successful approaches....very nice review
Thank you for your comment.
Beatrice Ochieng
Currently Reading: Killing Abel
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beatrice-ochieng.html
Latest Review: Manifesto for a Cancer Patient by Colleen Huber, NMD

Post by Beatrice Ochieng »

There are a lot of books on leadership in general, and to find an author who has written specifically on a topic that is talked about by most people but not enough is written about it is refreshing. Thank you for the review.
Korie Ifeoma Chisomaga
Favorite Book: How to Survive the Coming Retirement Storm
Currently Reading: TBD August 2022 Book of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-korie-ifeoma-chisomaga.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Korie Ifeoma Chisomaga »

The author takes the business of land ownership a step further, excelling in it and showing us how it is done. A good one!
OTrain Disene
Currently Reading: Flight Quack
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-otrain-disene.html
Latest Review: Mysteries by Graham Wilson

Post by OTrain Disene »

This is an informative read, but I am afraid I will have to pass on it. Great review!
Aisha Yakub
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Aisha Yakub »

This should be enlightening. I'm more interested to read this, knowing that the author has a firsthand experience in the knowledge he's sharing. Great review.
Mbenma Esther 080
Currently Reading: My Enemy in Vietnam
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbenma-esther-080.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Mbenma Esther 080 »

Everyone is a leader, if not for other reasons, because of themselves. Thanks for the review
Adelle v
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adelle-v.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Adelle v »

Great review. Its great to have a book that talks about leadership and being a landlord. I think one could learn a thing or two from the author.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”