Review of Freeing The Truth

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Lucy Vera
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lucy-v.html
Latest Review: Letter of Paul to the Americans by Nicholas F Mazza

Review of Freeing The Truth

Post by Lucy Vera »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Freeing The Truth" by Bernard O'Connor.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Freeing the Truth by Bernard O’Connor starts with an introduction of the author's life, which includes his birth, education, career, and marriage. Bernard was born on the 21st of June 1942 and was a Catholic who never failed to attend mass on Sundays. Bernard is a staunch civil rights activist and fights against the discriminatory treatments suffered by nationalists and Catholics. The book provides the percentage of the employment of Catholics in certain workplaces. Bernard's house is raided on a fateful morning, and he is arrested by the police and taken to Belfast for interrogations. This book recounts the author's experiences and subsequent effects of this arrest.

In Freeing the Truth, I believe that the author did reach his goal of speaking up and freeing the truth. The book painted a picture of the suffering the author endured for advocating for the civil rights of individuals. The book took me through the harsh times the author endured, and although I have read stories of police brutality, I do not think I have read any that comes close to what the author went through in Castlereagh, Belfast.

The book provided pictures of documents, letters, newspapers, and photos taken as evidence supporting the author's experiences, and where pictures could not be accepted, there were artistic impressions. While reading this book, I could feel the author's pain, and I admired his endurance going through what he went through, as I felt anyone would have broken down in his situation. I also got to appreciate modern-day developments after reading about certain issues that could have been resolved easily with knowledge of the things we know now. The book painted a vivid picture of issues like police brutality and discrimination, issues which I don't believe have been resolved at this moment. The use of imagery is superb.

I could not find anything to dislike about the book. It was professionally edited because I only found a few errors while reading it. The author passed a vital message through this book; he gave the message of strength and survival. I cannot rate this book anything less than four out of four stars because I could not find anything to dislike about the book. Therefore, I am compelled to give it this perfect rating.

I recommend this book to people who have experienced injustice because it passes a message of strength and survival. I also recommend it to people who have a strong disdain for injustice. I am sure they would love to read Bernard's story.

Freeing The Truth
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
QualityAndQuantity
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-qualityandquantity.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup

Post by QualityAndQuantity »

The author story seems quite intriguing to me. I can not understand how people were treated so badly in those days just cause they didn't believe in things that some people did. Wonderful review.
Aisha Yakub
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Aisha Yakub »

The author must have had a hard time coping with police brutality, this is sad. Thank you for your review.
Amiczy Heaven
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amiczy-heaven.html
Latest Review: Living the Beatitudes by Gary L. Engstrom

Post by Amiczy Heaven »

I wonder why he was arrested. I think I’m interested in this book. Your review has raised questions on my mind that I need answers to.
T T 2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-t-2.html
Latest Review: Three loves and other stories by Lata Gullapalli

Post by T T 2 »

I am curious to know about author's story in depth. An interesting book. Thank you for a great review.
Vidhi Adhikari
Currently Reading: True Teryn
Bookshelf Size: 280
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vidhi-adhikari.html
Latest Review: Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless by Mitzi Perdue

Post by Vidhi Adhikari »

Im interested to know what happens to the author in the end. Would surely read this book. Thanks for writing a great review that's gotten me intrigued.
Kay Sam
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Kay Sam »

interested to know what happens to the author in the end too cause this is a lovely book
José Cortez
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jos-cortez.html
Latest Review: Beyond the Golden Door (Audiobook Version) by Ali Master

Post by José Cortez »

I think Bernard is a man amazing author, I enjoyed reading your review about this book. I hope I like it as much as you do.
Darlings O
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 100
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darlington-onuoha.html
Latest Review: Imperfect Lives Perfect Grace by Dr. E.M. Johnson

Post by Darlings O »

This looks like a period book with so many documentaries. I don't think it's a good fit at the moment. Thank you for sharing.
Walter R
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-walter-r.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Walter R »

I would not have imagined the discrimination nationalists must have gone through. Seems like a great book.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”