Review of Carbon Trade

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Christabel Uzoamaka
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Lingering Poets
Bookshelf Size: 181
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christabel-uzoamaka.html
Latest Review: Atlantis Revealed by Riaan Booysen

Review of Carbon Trade

Post by Christabel Uzoamaka »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Carbon Trade" by James Prosper.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

One major cause of climate change is Green House Gases (GHG). Industries’ activities have increased the GHG that affect the climate. While it is necessary, countries cannot eliminate their output of GHG. By placing taxes for emitting carbon on countries and companies as an incentive to reduce carbon, the UN Kyoto Protocol has opened a new financial door. The result of the UN mechanisms is a carbon market that is thriving and expected to grow in the coming years. Carbon Trade by James Prosper addresses this new market and how private individuals can get in on the financial opportunities of carbon trade and other affiliated investment opportunities.

Once a beginner gets over the initial shock of “selling and buying carbon,” it is easy to grasp the concept of the carbon market with the way James Prosper explains it. His approach of explaining the history of the carbon market and what carbon trade is before revealing the ways individuals can invest in the market was most helpful for a novice like me. Entry-level investors who are looking for a basic explanation of carbon trading should get this book. The author’s gradual and understandable explanations eased a lot of my initial confusion.

The author also answered most of the questions I had about carbon trading, which is a great feat for a book of its short length. Before reading Carbon Trade, I had never heard of the concept. In a bid to learn about a new investment class, I picked the book, and I was not disappointed. I had questions like “What exactly is carbon trade? Does it involve selling actual CO2? How can you earn carbon credits? Who regulates companies? How else can I invest in climate consciousness?” and the author answered all of these questions concisely. The brevity he employed while retaining thoroughness is ideal because it filters the noise and presents the most important information that an investor can build upon with more research.

However, on the cover page is the subtitle “An Introduction to Investing in a Sustainable World Learn the Secrets to Profiting from the most Valuable Ecological Asset, a Green Planet!” I found it misleading because, while this book is thorough to an extent, I don't think it divulges any real secrets. The author makes a good case for investing in carbon by explaining GHG effects on the climate, the history behind carbon trading, some criticism of carbon trade, and some carbon-linked companies and cryptocurrencies. But there are still some missing pointers. For example, the author did not explain how to sell carbon credits or the steps by which one gets credit certificates. The author simply informed readers that such things exist.

The author mentions that the book is not investment advice. So investors will have to research deeper to know which carbon-backed asset exactly they want to invest in. I listened to the audiobook. There were no errors, but the many abbreviations affected my listening experience slightly; they were a lot to remember without seeing them in print for reference. A more candid rating is 3.5 stars, but my misgivings do not warrant removing one whole star. As a good introduction to carbon trading, this book deserves 4 out of 4.

Carbon Trade
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Korie Ifeoma Chisomaga
Favorite Book: How to Survive the Coming Retirement Storm
Currently Reading: TBD August 2022 Book of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-korie-ifeoma-chisomaga.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Korie Ifeoma Chisomaga »

A quick guide to persons willing to take the plunge into carbon trading considering current circumstances.
OTrain Disene
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Flight Quack
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-otrain-disene.html
Latest Review: Mysteries by Graham Wilson

Post by OTrain Disene »

Ok, it just introduced new concepts to me. I also don't know what is carbon trade and I would be very much interested in learning more about it because I know climate change is a big thing that needs to be tackles. Like, as soon as yesterday!
Aisha Yakub
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Aisha Yakub »

I'm grateful whenever I see books on carbon emissions. We need the enlightenment. Great review.
Mbenma Esther 080
Currently Reading: My Enemy in Vietnam
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbenma-esther-080.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Mbenma Esther 080 »

I can't help but say this is a detailed book. Thanks for the review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”