Review of The Healing Box

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Michael Jerry_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michaeljerry309.html
Latest Review: A Big Blue Boat by Susea Spray

Review of The Healing Box

Post by Michael Jerry_ »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Healing Box" by Paul Reed.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Before Paul Reed became an author, he was a truck driver and was one of the many men who served in Vietnam with the U.S. military. In The Healing Box, Paul shared his experience in Vietnam and how he grew to love a man he once considered an enemy. I commend Paul for putting his experiences into writing because his fellow veterans can read this book and learn from his experiences.

It all began with a bag. American soldiers had just discovered a diversionary camp built by the Vietnamese soldiers. The camp was not supposed to be found, but Paul and his fellow soldiers found it. They began going through the supplies of the Vietnamese soldiers. Paul picked up a bag and curiously opened it. The bag contained documents and other personal items. However, there was a little diary in the bag that caught Paul’s attention. He put these items, along with the diary, in a box, which he then sent home. Paul did not know that the little diary would change his life in due time. Several years after the war, Paul was home, but he was different. Paul’s experience in Vietnam was haunting him, and it was affecting his life, but the solution to his problems was already in the attic, waiting for the right time. How did Paul manage his PTSD? And why is that little diary so important?

This book sheds light on how detrimental war can be to the lives of soldiers. Even when the war has ended, many soldiers continue to struggle with the things they experienced during the battle. They struggle with the loss of their comrades, PTSD, and even guilt. I like that the author of this book is a soldier who experienced these things firsthand because it makes the narration a lot more personal. Paul also did a fantastic job painting the picture of scenes in the book, so I could understand what was happening at any given time. The plot was delivered in a distorted manner, which I like because I enjoy piecing these plots together in my head like a puzzle. I believe it adds a level of depth and sophistication to the author’s writing. However, I doubt anyone will get confused when reading this book because it is easy to understand.

This review will not be complete if I don’t mention how heartwarming the story of Paul and Nghia is. This nonfiction will surely touch the hearts of many people. Also, the author was thoughtful enough to include a few pictures. He shared photos taken during the war and some he took when he went to see Nghia. These pictures made the book feel a lot more authentic and personal, and I’m sure many other readers will appreciate this as I did. I did not dislike anything about this book.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars because the author did a wonderful job from the beginning to the end. The message this book carries is very deep and full of moral lessons, and I believe that a lot of people need to hear this story and do some self-reflection. I also believe a professional edited this book exceptionally well. I recommend this book to young and mature adults over the age of 16 who are interested in heartwarming nonfiction books. People who enjoy reading books about the life of veterans or war heroes may also enjoy reading this book.

The Healing Box
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Giftiee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-giftiee.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Giftiee »

This war story has caught my attention. Nice review.
Asiaa Szn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asiaa-szn.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Asiaa Szn »

Most soldiers suffers from PTSD and its quite saddening especially after defending their country. I love how this is a first hand information as its coming from the author's experience. Great review
Aisha Yakub
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Aisha Yakub »

I think it's a really brave act to share your story. I commend Paul for putting together his story, and it's actually quite exciting. Thank you for your review.
Nwadinso Okoro
Currently Reading: Killing Abel
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwadinso-okoro.html
Latest Review: The Toki-Girl and the Sparrow-Boy (series) by Claire Youmans

Post by Nwadinso Okoro »

From the review, this book contains the experience of the author who once served in the military. I think I'd recommend to upcoming and already existing veterans in the military. Most veterans encounter PTSD after their service, and I think this book would enlighten them. Thanks for your review.
Apple 7
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-apple-7.html
Latest Review: The MECE Muse by Christie Lindor

Post by Apple 7 »

A very intriguing book, wonder what the diary would contain to rekindle friendship and sort out his PSTD...... Very nice review
Amiczy Heaven
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amiczy-heaven.html
Latest Review: Living the Beatitudes by Gary L. Engstrom

Post by Amiczy Heaven »

Paul’s story is sad, I hope things got better. I’m curious about the content of the diary. Nice review.
Shalom Shaba
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shalom-shaba.html
Latest Review: Happiness is All We Want! by Ashutosh Mishra

Post by Shalom Shaba »

I wrote a paper on PTSD recently and I find the stories of soldiers suffering from it, particularly intriguing. I'll love to read this book. Thank you for the review.
Vidhi Adhikari
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: True Teryn
Bookshelf Size: 280
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vidhi-adhikari.html
Latest Review: Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless by Mitzi Perdue

Post by Vidhi Adhikari »

I enjoy reading books on the war and don't need a whole lot of convincing to pick this one up. Thanks for this review. Will definitely be reading this one.
Beatrice Ochieng
Currently Reading: Killing Abel
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beatrice-ochieng.html
Latest Review: Manifesto for a Cancer Patient by Colleen Huber, NMD

Post by Beatrice Ochieng »

The review gives me hope that Paul has been able to overcome the negative effects of being in the war, I look forward to finding out as I read it. Thank you.
Blessing Odii
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blessing-odii.html
Latest Review: The Proximity of Stars by Benedict Stuart

Post by Blessing Odii »

I would to read about Paul's story. Vietnam is one place I would like to visit. Nice review.
Ndagire Hassifah
Currently Reading: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ndagire-hassifah.html
Latest Review: Building A Coaching Culture by Andreas Von Der Heydt

Post by Ndagire Hassifah »

I commend the author's courage to share his story and war experience. I would love to read this book to know about paul's story. Thanks for the review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”