Review of The Secret To Happiness

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Review of The Secret To Happiness

Post by Cecilia_L »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Secret To Happiness" by Donald E Archey.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Donald E. Archey pairs spiritual tools and practical advice in his timely self-help book, The Secret to Happiness: Thinking Your Way to Happiness During the Covid-19 Pandemic. As a minister for over forty years, the author enlightens readers regarding habits that cultivate happiness as well as those that may detract from it. Archey stresses the power of thoughts and addresses spiritual practices, such as persistence, forgiveness, visualization, compassion, generosity, and seeking joy.

This quick read is 118 pages of positivity. The author identifies the connection between happiness and prosperity. However, he clarifies that prosperity does not necessarily mean material wealth. To illustrate his point, Archey shares several stories of people with modest incomes who consider themselves quite happy. The author encourages giving and includes a list of charitable organizations at the end of the book. Likewise, he emphasizes the importance of investing time in the elderly and youth.

I especially like Archey’s inclusion of eclectic quotations from Thomas Jefferson, Freddie Mercury, and the Bible, among others. The words of Socrates are particularly relevant: "The secret of happiness, you see, is not found in seeking more, but in developing the capacity to enjoy less." The author also cites the Dalai Lama’s thoughts on happiness: “The purpose of our lives is to be happy.”

On the other hand, I was disappointed that Archey didn't address happiness as it specifically relates to the pandemic. I realize that positive thinking is helpful during adversity. However, readers struggling with unprecedented challenges may find the subtitle slightly misleading in light of a few cursory references to Covid-19.

Unfortunately, there is a glaring lack of professional editing. The book is rife with errors, and I noted eleven in the first nine pages. Throughout the book, Archey inconsistently capitalizes words like "happiness" and "thinking." In other instances, he uses the wrong word, such as "underline" instead of "underlying." Additionally, the author frequently repeats the same concept in subsequent sentences. I stumbled over sentences that required rereading for clarity because they were excessively lengthy and awkwardly phrased.

Overall, I rate The Secret to Happiness 2 out of 4 stars. The book's positive message redeems it from the lowest rating, but the copious errors and repetitious content need attention. Due to the scriptural references, it will appeal primarily to Christian readers. However, self-help fans of other faiths may also appreciate Archey's focus on visualization and manifestation. The book does not contain any profanity.

The Secret To Happiness
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Winnie_Grace
Favorite Book: A Bloody Book
Currently Reading: Fast Starting a Career of Consequence: Workbook
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-winnie-grace.html
Latest Review: UNUM: Infinity and Eternity by Rudy Ernst

Post by Winnie_Grace »

A wholesome review. I admire the way you pointed out the positives and negatives of the book eloquently. Self-help books are something I like but editing mistakes and everything make the whole concept of self-help tedious. I might be wrong but this is what I feel personally.
Aisha Yakub
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Aisha Yakub »

Thank you for your honest feedback.
Amiczy Heaven
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amiczy-heaven.html
Latest Review: Living the Beatitudes by Gary L. Engstrom

Post by Amiczy Heaven »

Nice review. I was actually looking forward to you talking about happiness during the pandemic but was disappointed to learn it wasn’t really talked about.
Becca Olsson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-becca-olsson.html
Latest Review: Animal Village by Nelda LaTeef

Post by Becca Olsson »

I appreciate the author doesn’t specify material wealth as the way to happiness, but it definitely sounds like it needs another round of editing and re-working. Thanks for the great review
Asiaa Szn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asiaa-szn.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Asiaa Szn »

I commend the author's work and your writing, especially how you discussed the negatives and positives vividly. Amazing work.
Trevor21
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trevor21.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by Trevor21 »

I liked your review, simple and down to earth. The editing could be a bother, but then I've been warned, and the work is just eighteen pages long. I am going to look it up.
Nice review, thanks.
Nwadinso Okoro
Currently Reading: Killing Abel
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwadinso-okoro.html
Latest Review: The Toki-Girl and the Sparrow-Boy (series) by Claire Youmans

Post by Nwadinso Okoro »

This is a self-help book that aims at helping the readers to find happiness amidst Pain and struggles. I think this book would really acheive it's aim in the life of any reader who picks it. Thanks for your review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”