Review of Finding Joy with an Invisible Chronic Illness

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
brooke oakes
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brooke-oakes.html
Latest Review: The Intelligence Factor by Erik Fisher

Review of Finding Joy with an Invisible Chronic Illness

Post by brooke oakes »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Finding Joy with an Invisible Chronic Illness" by Christopher Martin.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Chronic illness is full of uncertainty. You never know how you will feel from one day to the next. You never know how your symptoms will evolve. Those with chronic illness tend to spend countless hours at the doctors without answers. They may not be able to work at their job. There is an effect on their life at home. Chronic illness even affects a person's mental wellness. How do you cope with what these illnesses do to your mind and body? What strategies can help you when you feel like you are losing hope?

Finding Joy with an Invisible Chronic Illness by Christopher Martin provides insights and tools to help people cope with chronic illness. He points out that many times people blame themselves. It can create depression and feelings of loneliness. In the beginning, there are explanations of some of the different chronic illnesses. The author talks about how people are affected by these illnesses and the frustrations that they experience. There is a focus on the psychological effects that these illnesses have. These may not be visible to friends and family.

Martin explains how mindfulness practices and self-compassion can help those with chronic illnesses. These methods help break people out of the negative cycles, decrease depression, and increase optimism and happiness. The author shows how a positive mentality is beneficial. He explains that it can help the person during the management and treatment of their illness.

I liked how the author broke the book down into different chapters that expanded on each other. He discussed the importance of stress management, a healthy diet, and even psychological strategies that are helpful to someone living with a chronic illness. I think all three of these areas are important to the person as a whole. They all work together to support well-being.

There wasn't much that I didn't like about the book. It was well written, and it appeared to be edited professionally with few errors. The chapters flowed well as they transitioned through the topics. Therefore, I give the book 4 out of 4 stars. I did not rate it lower because I appreciated the knowledge that the author shared and the effort that was put into editing the book.

I recommend this book to Christian adults living with chronic illnesses. There are several references to Bible verses and an emphasis on the importance of sticking to your faith. It could also be beneficial to those who want to help friends or family living with illness. Younger readers may find some parts of the book difficult to understand.

Finding Joy with an Invisible Chronic Illness
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Aisha Yakub
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Aisha Yakub »

What often kills these people is the depression that comes with the diagnosis. Everyone with a chronic disease deserves to find joy. This is inspiring.
Shridhar Suryawanshi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shridhar-suryawanshi.html
Latest Review: The Seventh Spark by J.B. Lion

Post by Shridhar Suryawanshi »

I would love to read a book about chronic illness. Thanks for the review, it did not have any spoilers.
Beatrice Ochieng
Currently Reading: Killing Abel
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beatrice-ochieng.html
Latest Review: Manifesto for a Cancer Patient by Colleen Huber, NMD

Post by Beatrice Ochieng »

I wonder if the author has any personal experiences as that did not seem to feature in the review, nevertheless, it looks like a good read for how to help those struggling with chronic diseases. Thank you for the review.
Korie Ifeoma Chisomaga
Favorite Book: How to Survive the Coming Retirement Storm
Currently Reading: TBD August 2022 Book of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-korie-ifeoma-chisomaga.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Korie Ifeoma Chisomaga »

Living with chronic illness affects one's psyche. As a result, persons with chronic illness and their families should be educated on what to expect
brooke oakes
Currently Reading:

Post by brooke oakes »

Raymond N wrote: 24 Jan 2022, 01:58 What often kills these people is the depression that comes with the diagnosis. Everyone with a chronic disease deserves to find joy. This is inspiring.
Thank you for taking the time to comment! I’m so glad you enjoyed it!
brooke oakes
Currently Reading:

Post by brooke oakes »

Shridhar S wrote: 24 Jan 2022, 08:14 I would love to read a book about chronic illness. Thanks for the review, it did not have any spoilers.
I hope you enjoy the book as much as I did if you read it! Thank you for taking the time to comment!
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

This is an amazing inspirational non-fiction book highlighting chronic illnesses, medical options, mental health, relationships, and maintaining hope. The book has a free sample on Amazon Kindle and has an inciteful OnlineBookClub review. Congrats on the BOTD selection.
Onakoya
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventure
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onakoya.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Onakoya »

Sounds like an inspiring book for people with chronic illness. This book would make them feel that there is hope.
Emerizx
Currently Reading: Good Sexual Hygiene & Spiritual Attitude
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emerizx.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Emerizx »

The book is awesome. Most reasons people die of illnesses are not because of the illness but the mental condition the victim of the illness finds themselves in. Congratulations on BOTD.
tarafarah7
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mitch Albom
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ">tuesdays with Morrie</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1437
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarafarah7.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2544

Post by tarafarah7 »

Today's BOTD is a self-help book about living with chronic illness and how to improve your quality of life as a result. Christian readers will find the content informative and the tips, strategies, and techniques helpful. Thank you for the thorough review and keep up the great work! :-)
Bertha Jackson
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Book: Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
Currently Reading: Life at the Precipice
Bookshelf Size: 755
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: Embrace Your Age by JAMES B. FLAHERTY ... An octogenarian with a bright future.

Post by Bertha Jackson »

I have never been sure if people die from their chronic diseases or if they give up because they lose hope due to depression. This book may have the answer. Thank you for your review.
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org
Kira Bonita Reece
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: The Toki-Girl and the Sparrow-Boy, Box Set
Bookshelf Size: 358
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kira-bonita-reece.html
Latest Review: Starboard Eight by Brian Casey

Post by Kira Bonita Reece »

Persons with chronic illnesses often feel sicker after they find out about their illness. This is due to stress and depression. This book seems to provide the help and hope. Thanks for the review.
Frank Mutuma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-frank-mutuma.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Frank Mutuma »

I have witnessed chronic illness first hand and very depressing. The book is absolutely a must read.
Achiever Tandoh
Currently Reading: Cynthia and Dan
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-achiever-tandoh.html
Latest Review: Burly by Paul Drewitt

Post by Achiever Tandoh »

A great book not only for people with chronic illness but also people who struggle with depression and blame themselves. It's really nice to know that a book like this exists. It is worthy of being BOTD.
Latest Review: Burly by Paul Drewitt

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”