Review of "Shirley" Goodness & Mercy

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
LinaMueller
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 261
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linamueller.html
Latest Review: The Wingless Fairy by Kye Strothers

Review of "Shirley" Goodness & Mercy

Post by LinaMueller »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of ""Shirley" Goodness & Mercy" by Tanya L Holland.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

"Shirley" Goodness & Mercy by Tanya L Holland is a biography focusing mainly on the author's relationship with her mother. The death of her mother from cancer had devastating effects on her life, and she was suffering for several years without being able to overcome the pain.

The writing style is unorthodox. It is mainly written in prose, but there are a few poems in several different chapters. The sad message of pain and suffering lives side by side with "fun facts" that demonstrate the author's particularities and sweet memories, such as the fact that her mother was terrible at cooking fish.

I don't mean to sound cocky, but the truth is that after reading thousands of books, you end up developing an analytical skill that the casual reader doesn't have. What do I mean by that? It's that you become able to perceive (or at least have the impression that you perceive) the true intention of whoever wrote the book. For a book to be a landmark work, not only do the authors need to be naturally talented, but they need to write with passion. And that's what you find in this book. In various parts of the book, you can feel what the author felt, and you can clearly see that she wrote this work from her heart. The climax of the book, in my view, was when the author finds out that her mother died and she was in the Bahamas. You can see in each letter how much she suffered for not being with her mother on her deathbed. All this passion converted into a book (although it's sad in some parts) was what I liked the most.

There is nothing negative worth mentioning. The only grammatical error found was a missing quotation mark. There is no sexual content nor swear words. The book has several religious references, and at the end of the book, there is Christian content. Still, I don't think the book is more suitable for people of a particular religion. The central theme is the love between mother and daughter and how to overcome the loss of a loved one. This message is universal, and individuals of all religions can appreciate it.

Although the book has an intrinsically sad message, I was left with a feeling of happiness when I finished reading it. Not just because I got the impression that the author's mother fulfilled her mission, but because Tanya seems to have finally overcome her grief through charity and the creation of a support group called "Motherless Daughters." I would say that catharsis may have been one of the reasons (even if unconsciously) for the author to write this book. Still, she ended up creating a real gem anyway. The book is very well written, and the sentences are overflow with emotion and passion. For that reason, I gladly rate it four out of four stars. I recommend this book to all those who have lost a loved one and cannot get over that loss.

"Shirley" Goodness & Mercy
View: on Bookshelves
Heart! We will forget him!
You an I, tonight!
You may forget the warmth he gave,
I will forget the light.

When you have done, pray tell me
That I my thoughts may dim;
Haste! lest while you're lagging.
I may remember him!

Emily Dickinson
collinsogw555
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-collinsogw555.html
Latest Review: Bama Boy by Bobby Morrison

Post by collinsogw555 »

This seems to be an excellent book that discusses the relationship between a child and a mother. But I will not be picking this book as I am not a fan of poems. Thanks for an honest review.
Nonso Ok
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonso-ok.html
Latest Review: A Murder in Brownsville by Donald Steven Collins

Post by Nonso Ok »

Tanya symbolizes great strength and I am glad she finally overcame her grief. Your review of this book is top-notch.
Ivvie Ivanova
Favorite Author: Matthew Tysz
Currently Reading: Beyond Dreams
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ivvie-ivanova.html
Latest Review: Idiom Attack Vol. 1 Everyday Living (Spanish Edition) by Peter Liptak
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 50532

Post by Ivvie Ivanova »

Thank you for your review! This book sounds like it would be a bit hard to read since it deals with such horrible loss but also readingabout overcoming grief is a positive thing that people should be prepared for.
Nkgchidimma080
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nkgchidimma080.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Nkgchidimma080 »

Mother and child relationship,sounds like a very interesting topic,am picking this book because am a lover of poems,thanks for the beautiful review.
Mbali Qalinge
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: He
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbali-qalinge.html
Latest Review: The MISOGI Method by Jody B. Miller

Post by Mbali Qalinge »

There are many ways to deal with grief, and it sounds like the author took her grief and transformed it into a beautiful book that I'm sure will be helpful to anyone else experiencing grief or those who enjoy biographies. Congrats on BOTD!
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

This is an interesting inspirational non-fiction book highlighting grief, loss, mental, emotional and spiritual breakdown, and growth. The book is temporarily free on Amazon Kindle and has a well-written OnlineBookClub review. Congrats @TLhollandwrites on the BOTD selection.
Ohna Martin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ohna-martin.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Ohna Martin »

Great review thank you. I do not think this book is for me though. Losing a loved one is hard, when it is a parent it is even harder. I do think that sharing such a personal level of grief with the world is very brave.
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I lost my mom six years ago. I still miss her, but I pray that she has reached eternal glory and is now watching over us. I am so happy to get this book for free even though it will likely make me cry.
Chinazo Anozie
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 308
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinazo-anozie.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Little Golf Bag Book by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Chinazo Anozie »

While this book seems like a good read, I'm not big on non-fiction, so I'll have to skip it.
Achiever Tandoh
Currently Reading: Cynthia and Dan
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-achiever-tandoh.html
Latest Review: Burly by Paul Drewitt

Post by Achiever Tandoh »

Great review. I agree, when you have read a lot of books, you become better at analyzing and seeing things that an average reader may not see in a book. It does sound like a good book, however, I have to let it pass because I am not a fan of biographies. Thank you for the review.
Latest Review: Burly by Paul Drewitt
Charlienmegan Wehner
Currently Reading: Finding Joy with an Invisible Chronic Illness
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlienmegan-wehner.html
Latest Review: Death Ray by Tom King

Post by Charlienmegan Wehner »

This book definitely sounds like a tear-jerker when reading about the letters the author wrote about her mother’s passing. Thank you for your great review.
Latest Review: Death Ray by Tom King
smolbird
Favorite Author: Rick Riordan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 264
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smolbird.html
Latest Review: Pariah by Robert C. Swetz
fav_author_id: 2909

Post by smolbird »

Losing a parent can be devastating, especially if you had a good relationship with them.
"It does not do well to dwell on dreams and forget to live." - Albus Dumbledore
Loniya Chabili Mubanga
Currently Reading: The sea keepers daughter
Bookshelf Size: 254
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-loniya-chabili-mubanga.html
Latest Review: American Dream? by Jeoung Lee

Post by Loniya Chabili Mubanga »

I'm always keen on reading non fiction that tackles loss of a loved one, especially to a terminal illness. Tanya sounds like she really grieved her mom in her own unique way and wrote her this book as a way of healing. I look forward to reading it.
Laney K
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 121
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laney-k.html
Latest Review: SandPeople by Cheryl Kerr
2024 Reading Goal: 50
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Laney K »

This seems like a well crafted book that touches on a sad topic losing a parent. I am glad it did not leave the reviewer sad though.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”