Review of Looking at the unseen; My Guide Dog Journey

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sharill Rasowo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharill-rasowo.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Review of Looking at the unseen; My Guide Dog Journey

Post by Sharill Rasowo »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Looking at the unseen; My Guide Dog Journey" by Olivia Ostergaard.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Looking at the unseen; My Guide Dog Journey by Olivia Ostergaard is about the author’s journey to get the perfect guide dog. She details her ten-year journey in finding the guide dog for her. She documents her various experiences and how her faith in God helped her get through them. She also talks about her experiences with various guide dog schools. The various obstacles she faces are also detailed in the book. These obstacles arise from other people as well as herself. In the book, we see how her faith in God helps her conquer these obstacles.

She faces various challenges such as meeting the requirements to get a guide dog, her impatience, and so on. The book also talks about the people she meets along the way. They range from instructors, classmates, as well as her church group. All these people play an important role in helping her find the right dog.

I liked how she explained all the steps she took. She began by looking up information about guide dogs and schools, asking her friends, and so on. This was important as it can serve as a reference point for others looking to go through the same process. Her insights into the various schools were also welcome. I was able to deduce that different schools have different techniques, which I found helpful. Her explanation of what was needed to qualify for a school was also useful. Those looking to join such a school would appreciate this.

I enjoyed how she began by giving us her origin story. To understand people, it is often important to know their history. With her explanation, we got to know why she needed a guide dog. She also documented the process of training alongside her dogs, which was very interesting. It allowed us to see what goes into guide dog training, which I found very fascinating.

Her steadfast belief that God would lead her to the right dog was intriguing. It is not often that people have this sort of faith. Some people may be bothered by this, as she had no factual basis to base this belief. However, I did not mind this as faith is based on spiritual conviction rather than proof.

I did not find anything to dislike in this book. It was able to get an understanding of how guide dogs are acquired in America, which was quite informative. The book seems to be professionally edited as I found very few errors. I would highly recommend this book to anyone looking to get a guide dog. The book contains valuable information concerning getting one. It also contains reference material that can be used to find important information. I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars because it gave valuable information about getting a guide dog. It will be quite useful for those looking to go through the same process, specifically in America.

Looking at the unseen; My Guide Dog Journey
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Edit_or
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-edit-or.html
Latest Review: Always Strive to Be a Better You by Pete Hall

Post by Edit_or »

Her persistence in finding a suitable guide dog is inspiring . Thank you for a nice review.
Luchris_michael
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luchris-michael.html
Latest Review: Rulers of the Galaxy by Tayma Tameem

Post by Luchris_michael »

The persistent attitude of Jennifer is a good. Great review.
Gabriella1997
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabriella1997.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Gabriella1997 »

I love dogs and I would really love to read more about them, thanks for the honest review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”