Review of Starmap

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kim Jek
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kim-jek.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Review of Starmap

Post by Kim Jek »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Starmap" by Edward A. Ridgill, M.D..]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Throughout history, people have been struck with awe as they gazed at the sun, the moon, and the stars. Many people have longed to know more about these celestial objects and our awesome universe as a whole. Starmap by Edward A. Ridgill gives breathtaking information about the cosmos. The book talks about the solar system, the properties of each planet in the solar system, and why Pluto is not classified as a planet. The author discusses the difference between meteors, asteroids, and comets. This book also contains concise information about the different types of objects present in the Milky Way galaxy and the possibility of life in other parts of the universe. It also discusses the Big Bang theory.

This book is written in simple and clear language. I love the fact that readers who have no science-related education can read and understand this book. For instance, when talking about the estimated number of stars in the universe, the author compared it to the estimated grains of sand on earth. Also, the illustrations and images in this book are of high resolution. I love the author's generous use of striking images in this book. They make the explanations come alive and make it easier to understand what is being discussed. I felt as if I was touring the universe with a guard.

The book is well researched with appropriate references to its sources of information. Also, the information provided is up-to-date. For instance, the author included details about Perseverance, a car-sized Mars rover that was launched on July 30, 2020, and landed on Mars on February 18, 2021. A comprehensive index at the concluding part of the book provides additional information.

I particularly love the depth of varied information in this book. Some of the statistics and discoveries mentioned in the book are humbling. For example, the author analyzed how hard it will be for humans to cross the universe. He explained that a rocket that moves at the speed of light will be required for such travel. He further explained the effect of such speed on the traveler. This is my most favorite part of the book. Information like this makes me feel like I am part of something big.

I have no dislikes about the book. It was professionally well edited. I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend this book for those who love reading about astronomy and the universe.

Starmap
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Astral Magi
Favorite Book: Name of the Wind
Currently Reading: Crossroads
Bookshelf Size: 523
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-astral-magi.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Astral Magi »

I love that the book is written in such a way that anyone can understand it. The universe holds a great fascination for me. Thank you for an insightful review.
🕉Be Here Now⌛
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

I love stars, so this one seems exciting! Thank you for this inspiring review.
Nkgchidimma080
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nkgchidimma080.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Nkgchidimma080 »

It’s such a self explanatory story and review, nice one.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”