Review of Healer: Reducing Crises

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Faithy_Goody_Star
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faithy-star.html
Latest Review: Autism: One Grandparent's Roadmap by Geoffrey Robinson

Review of Healer: Reducing Crises

Post by Faithy_Goody_Star »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Healer: Reducing Crises" by Elizabeth Power.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Healer: Reducing Crises by Elizabeth Power, M.Ed is the first in a series of self-help books. The writer geared it towards people who have traumatic experiences as well as counselors or therapists. Although this may be a piece of information known to many people, the author explained the classes of people that can be said to have experienced trauma, such as people who fought in a war and victims of domestic violence. She pointed out certain practices that are not helpful to survivors of trauma, like certain media contents and the “event-name model” description of trauma. I will wrap it all up by writing that readers will be exposed to the abilities and information that must be acquired to make them have power over their traumatic experiences or to mitigate the negative effect it has on them.

These abilities and information were dealt with extensively in different chapters. They are titled “Elastic Emotions,” “Finding connections,” “Repossessing Life,” and “Spotlighting Strengths.” The first being the largest chapter. Each of these chapters flowed from the other, and they are connected. This shows a high level of organization of the book.

For the most part, I found this book valuable. The trauma individuals from all walks of life and countries have passed and will pass through cannot be overemphasized. Hence, the significance of this book. Like the name of this book easily depicts, the author seeks to walk these individuals through their healing process through the information or tools presented. Indeed, this book will keep remaining relevant.

Although the book was written in simple English and flowed reasonably well for me, at some points, I wondered about the relevance of certain aspects of the book or the point the author was trying to make. Without mincing words, at the points explained above, the level of appreciation of readers will depend on their level of comprehension and exposure. This may not be such a bad thing, but it is not the best for a book that is relevant to people of various levels of understanding and exposure.

I can confidently say that this book was professionally edited because I found a few minor errors. They did not even have a tremendous impact on the flow of my reading.

My rating of this book flows from my above comments about the book (positive and negative). Therefore, I will give it a rating of three out of four stars.

I will recommend this book to anyone interested in healing from his or her past traumatic experiences and people who may be in the position to help these groups of persons.

Healer: Reducing Crises
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”