Review of Blessings and Sudden Intimacies

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Arite Seki
Currently Reading: The Alchemist
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arite-seki.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Review of Blessings and Sudden Intimacies

Post by Arite Seki »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Blessings and Sudden Intimacies" by Greg Stidham, M.D..]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Blessings and Sudden Intimacies by Greg Stidham is an autobiographical memoir written to reflect on the author’s experiences as a pediatric intensivist. A pediatric intensivist is responsible for the care and rehabilitation of children in the intensive care unit (ICU). These responsibilities entail making the final decisions on medical choices and require a diverse knowledge in the various medical specialities. The stories captured included touching accounts of lost friends, miraculous recoveries, and even immediate connections with strangers.

The author’s reflections were my favourite aspect of the memoir. I found his pensiveness incredibly touching. Stidham tended to reminisce, even years later, on those that have touched his life. That was something that I feel fit the description of intimate. It was as though I was also connected to these people and had shared in these moments myself. The author managed to give the reader a view of the sensitive portions of his personal and professional life. Sharing these portions requires a vulnerability and honesty that I could not help but admire. There was no aspect of this novel that I disliked.

I give Blessings and Sudden Intimacies a 4 out of 4 stars rating. The stories were incredibly moving and poignant. I found myself quite tearful as I read. The book is well edited and has only a couple of errors. Additionally, I admired how the author maintained a hopeful and optimistic tone despite depicting such tragedies. The stories were heartbreaking and certainly made me wonder how one can be surrounded by death but not consumed by it.

I think the ideal audience for this book would be those who enjoy reading about the medical field or healthcare. Some of the stories may be quite traumatic, especially for individuals who have lost children or young family members. The book also includes details of self-harm, suicide, car accidents, and a multiple sclerosis diagnosis. Readers who are sensitive to these should be aware. I also feel that this book would be better suited for an older audience as some of the stories may upset younger readers. There are a few instances of profanity, but there is no sexual content.

The blessings in the title refer to the moments of fortune and, perhaps even at times, divine intervention. The sudden intimacies are the moments of unexpected connections that the author shared with strangers, parents, and patients. There are very few books that leave an impression so deep that you are sure you will remember them years down the line. I felt the inexplicable pain experienced by Stidham, both in his personal and professional life. I can only be grateful that I was blessed enough to read about these sudden intimacies.

Blessings and Sudden Intimacies
View: on Bookshelves
Maliha Naveed
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Tales from the Grey Area
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maliha-naveed.html
Latest Review: Are You Love Smart or Love Stupid by Dr. Rachel Sims

Post by Maliha Naveed »

Belonging to the family of doctors, I could relate the reminiscences of the author and how he must have felt. Will read it. Good review.
Aarti Jha
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aarti-jha.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Aarti Jha »

Would have loved to read it because of its emotional appeal but the mention of suicides, tragedies is something that becomes overwhelming for me sometimes as i am too emotional kind of person. Great Review!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”