Review of Surviving the College Admissions Madness

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sam Ibeh
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sam-ibeh.html
Latest Review: The vampires: Sodom and Gomorrah by Levănt DuPrae

Review of Surviving the College Admissions Madness

Post by Sam Ibeh »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Surviving the College Admissions Madness" by Kevin Robert Martin.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Higher education is all the rave. It seems that to have access to opportunities that ensure a viable income, one needs education. It is this fact that informs Kevin Robert Martin's discourse. Surviving the College Admissions Madness is a book that delves into the philosophy of the need to acquire a college education and an in-depth analysis of the processes a college applicant goes through to get in. From his observations as an insider, Kevin points out the lack of transparency and accountability of these universities' admissions process and how applicants can wade through them to gain admission.

The book argued against the elite universities' admissions bureaucracies and favored college applicants' humanity. Although Kevin employed many analogies that came off as humorous, I found that I could not laugh. This book demanded soberness that would compel the reader to challenge a dysfunctional system that undermines the learning adventure that should be education.

The book presents an even more sad fact: we have all been victims of this dysfunctional system without realizing it. The anxiety and fear patterns that live with college applicants clamoring for a space in the United States elite universities are difficult to qualify. These universities have high entry requirements that no one seems to know. Hence, this book intends to break those barriers to give the average American university applicant a better chance of gaining admission.

The author is a highly educated man with experience in the subject matter. However, Kevin's background distills this book into a tiresome philosophical read. This tends to distract the reader from the graveness of the subject matter, as they scramble to keep up with the many philosophical analyses.

The writing moved from one font size and style to another throughout the book. Whether this was intentional or not, it had the strange effect of jarring me out of the distracting philosophies. I commend the author for this unique approach; it helped me break the boredom more times than once.

This book is highly recommended to all stakeholders in the education system — student applicants, parents, administrators, and political leaders. Perhaps it would be the tool to alleviate some unnecessary consequences that flow from the endless toxic cycle akin to college admissions.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. It poses a challenge for education stakeholders because it dares them to change the negative narrative that besets the college admissions process. There are a couple of errors that can be overlooked. However, one point is deducted due to the issues I mentioned earlier.

Surviving the College Admissions Madness
View: on Bookshelves
Mayur Arjune
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mayur-arjune.html
Latest Review: The Pro-Achievement Principle by Dr. Deborah Bright

Post by Mayur Arjune »

The admission into colleges is difficult and we had face that pain. I will read this one, and I might review it as well.
Nujudee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nujudee.html
Latest Review: Masters and Bastards by Christopher J. Penington

Post by Nujudee »

Surviving admissions can be a really great task and this book seems like a guide to help reduce the stress.
I think I'll consider reading this one.
Great review though.
Benjamin Fabian
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Benjamin Fabian »

The admission into collage is very hard to get, I guess this book is a guide
Faith - Benny Any
Currently Reading: My Enemy in Vietnam
Bookshelf Size: 100
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faith-benny-any.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Faith - Benny Any »

The information contained in this book is so educative. Indeed, Education breeds knowledge and knowledge is power, hence, should be taken as a priority.
MoeBrown
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moebrown.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust

Post by MoeBrown »

This would prove helpful to college hopefuls but i doubt most would be patient enough to sit through the philosophical aspect. It might be more suited to other education stakeholders so that they can be made aware of all that's going on in the college application process and how they can aim to implement a few changes. Commend the author for having the insight to create this 'guide'.
Uzo_Reviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uzo-reviews.html
Latest Review: Snow Country Lane by Sarah Vail

Post by Uzo_Reviews »

Every high school newbies need a kind of guide into college and I think this book provides one. I think I'll get this for my younger one.
IamJc_Bembo12
Currently Reading: Pearl River Mansion
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iamjc-bembo12.html
Latest Review: Bama Boy by Bobby Morrison

Post by IamJc_Bembo12 »

As I entered college, I’ve realized that it’s a different arduous battle I need to deal with. Entering my 2nd year in my bachelor's degree, this book will still help me to assess the best possible way I can to adapt and survive from this journey. Thanks for this great review!
onyii_review
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyii-review.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by onyii_review »

This is relatable. Virtually to everyone. Challenges with getting to start a degree in college are worth knowing. Thanks for the review.
Uzzy_Reviews
GNerd
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gnerd.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by GNerd »

All undergraduate will find this book helpful. Great review. Thank you.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”