Review of "For Better,For Worse"

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sharill Rasowo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharill-rasowo.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Review of "For Better,For Worse"

Post by Sharill Rasowo »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of ""For Better,For Worse"" by Gordon Deighton.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

For Better, For Worse by Gordon Deighton is a memoir about life in the fashion industry. It covers the author's career in the fashion industry from the Second World War until the late eighties. The memoir contains pictures of his life spanning more than sixty years. The pictures vary from black and white photos to articles in the newspaper about the author. There are also a few pictures in color. The book contains around sixty pictures of both people and objects. They offer a small window into the author's exciting life. The pictures are a mix of those taken in a professional setting as well as personal pictures.

I enjoyed how the book offered insight into a bygone era. Some pictures depicted the fashion of different eras. The most interesting to me were those that appear to have been taken in the sixties. There is a sense of glamour in all of the pictures that is intriguing. The pictures elicit excitement as they seem to have been taken during thrilling events. The photos with people in them delighted me as they all looked so elegant.

All the photos fit the purpose of the book. I could tell that they all dealt with the subject matter of fashion. I was never confused about the theme of the book. The inclusion of documents was also very interesting. They gave insight into the timeline of events, which I found very helpful. There were also no spelling errors in the book, thus I found it to be exceptionally well-edited.

However, there were some negative aspects to the book. There was no explanation accompanying the pictures. I was therefore left guessing as to who the people in the pictures were. I could also not tell when exactly the pictures were taken. This left me very confused. In addition, the pictures were not in any order. There was no cohesion between the pictures. As there was no chronological order, I could not make sense of some of the pictures. I felt this was a pity as the author missed the chance to have the readers follow along as his career progressed.

I would recommend this book to anyone interested in the history of fashion. Also, those who work in the fashion industry will find this book very interesting. I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars because it was very interesting. I removed one star because of the lack of cohesion between the pictures.

"For Better,For Worse"
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Faith - Benny Any
Currently Reading: My Enemy in Vietnam
Bookshelf Size: 100
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faith-benny-any.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Faith - Benny Any »

This is quite an educating review. The author renewed my love for the fashion industry. The photos speaks volumes of how the writer has lasted in this industry. I will definitely love to add it to my shelf.
Goodness C N
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-goodness-c-n.html
Latest Review: Love Yourself & Lose Weight: The Success Story of Self Love by Katie Lips

Post by Goodness C N »

I love the way you wrote this book. It indeed explored the details of the novel. Well done.
Tamary Otsile
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Tamary Otsile »

I love the novel it indeed explains a lot and teaches a lot about the author. Well done๐Ÿ™
Mayur Arjune
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mayur-arjune.html
Latest Review: The Pro-Achievement Principle by Dr. Deborah Bright

Post by Mayur Arjune »

The memoir are incredible to read. The review is thoughtful, I got most details about book. The review is enjoyable. The fashion is the new trade mark and the book is on that topic. Thank you for such an amazing review.
Humeyra Karakas
Currently Reading: How children learn
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-humeyra-karakas.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Post by Humeyra Karakas »

A memoir enriched with pictures offers a delightful reading experience. I bet pictures of all those glamorous clothes made the book even more enjoyable. Thanks for the review.
Jacques Mwashuma
Currently Reading: Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jacques-mwashuma.html
Latest Review: Doyle's Law by Sam Roberts

Post by Jacques Mwashuma »

This book sounds enticing just from the review. If there ever is a memorial ark this book might just be one of those include. Great work. ๐Ÿ‘
If the heart is clear, it doesn't matter if there's a storm brewing in the sky.

- Bing Xin.
IamJc_Bembo12
Currently Reading: Pearl River Mansion
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iamjc-bembo12.html
Latest Review: Bama Boy by Bobby Morrison

Post by IamJc_Bembo12 »

Your explicit and honest review made me wanna read this masterpiece. Thanks!
Uzo_Reviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uzo-reviews.html
Latest Review: Snow Country Lane by Sarah Vail

Post by Uzo_Reviews »

Your review was well thought out leaving no important detail behind. And I love it. Good job

Return to โ€œNon-Fiction Booksโ€